Motives for Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

if you want to be the best leader possible, go to Ranger school.
If you want to look kewl wearing a tab, don't go.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Ranger School is probably the best small unit leadership training course available. It makes a good soldier a better soldier.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I am (and have been throughout my career) outside of the Infantry or Regiment loop. I cannot speak about either of those two. However, the intangible lessons that I learned from Ranger School, and more importantly the subsequent requirement of living up to the highest standards, are lessons that I wouldn't have learned anywhere else. Not only has it shaped my military career, but my personality as well. I'm sure that I'll continue to reap benefits of having undergone the mental and physical challenges for the rest of my life. If you desire to be a more effective leader, then I'd recommend you doing whatever you can to attend the school - and accept the responsibilities of wearing the black and gold. People look at you differently, their first impressions have high expectations. You fall into a pattern of always exceeding the standard. All because of a couple months of suck. These traits are even more deeply ingrained in my Regimental brothers.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: Movtives for Ranger School

Post by The Holmchicken »

Buddha wrote:I keep looking your stupid quote at the bottom of your sig line, and keep coming to the same conclusion; quit flight school now, and leave the service. If you truly believe that becoming an Army Officer through ROTC was some kind of mistake, you are wasting your Soldiers' time.

The nation is at war, and doesn't need leaders who don't believe in what they are doing.

Where you been? How's life in whirly-bird land?
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
RGRJim
Ranger

Post by RGRJim »

1. Re-read RRDTm3's post
2. As one of the few ARNG officers to complete RS last year I will tell you that getting Orders is very difficult for non-Infantry types. Hell, in NY they even give us Infantry guys a hard time about going. They don't like spending the money. Very few O's in the higher ranks have tabs themselves, they don't understand the benefit of having RS qualified leaders.

That being said, where there is a will there's a way. If you really want to go I'm sure you would have no problem convincing your chain of command that you not only deserve to go to School, but your confidence, undoubtedly, will also convince them that you are a shoe in for graduating in a timely manner.

Also, you'll have the priviledge of attending an excellent Pre-Ranger course at the ARNG Warrior Training Center under the supervision of RRDTm3.

Good Luck
NYARNG 05-Present
RS 03-06
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

If you are going to fly in the Army, chances are that some if not most of your flight time will be in support of infantry.

Having been to Ranger School would probably help to offer some insight on how infantry operates and thus, how you can support them better in their operation - understanding how critical it is to get them to the right place at the right time, especially if their movement closely interfaces with other infantry that are arriving via ground transportation.
PurduePara203
Ranger

Post by PurduePara203 »

It's worth it, no matter what you branch. The leadership skills you learn there are invaluable. The ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner while under pressure is pounded into your head and you will undoubtably put these skills to use at some point in your military career. The experience is priceless. It's sometimes hard to get a slot in the National Guard, especially in a branch other than Infantry but if there's a will, there's a way.
"In a world of compromise, some don't"

HHC 1-323rd 2001-2002 (USAR)
151st INF Det. (LRS) (ABN), 38th ID, IN National Guard 2003-present, currently Sniper section assistant team leader
Ranger Class 07-06
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

It will set you apart from the vast majority of people in this world. Probably all people who serve experience some level of this, but when you get out and have experienced RS or a Ranger/spec ops unit, the rest of the world feels like they are in slow motion. Some people will not understand your motivation and desire to succeed and your refusal to compromise your ethics and character may even cost you in politically charged situations, I know this first hand. Lack of others choosing a course of action will piss you the fuck off and right or wrong, you will learn to make a decision and get the fuck on with it, which is worth more than I can put in words. I know this is unloading some of my own views, but you wanted to know why someone would choose this course. Not everything is tangible......
Active Duty 1993-1996
25th LRSD Dec 1993-March 1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”