800 Mile December Bike Ride, Need Gear Advice

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

800 Mile December Bike Ride, Need Gear Advice

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Around the end of November/Beginning of December, I'll be riding from WV back to FL and am looking for some gear advice. I need to pick up a full face helmet, some base-layer clothing, and insulated gloves. Anyone have any recommendations?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Tirehouse
Ranger

Re: 800 Mile December Bike Ride, Need Gear Advice

Post by Tirehouse »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Around the end of November/Beginning of December, I'll be riding from WV back to FL and am looking for some gear advice. I need to pick up a full face helmet, some base-layer clothing, and insulated gloves. Anyone have any recommendations?
Take a car...it's warmer. :twisted: :twisted:
TFR Somalia
Kosovo KFOR3A, Iraq 2003-4 OIF 1, 08-10
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: 800 Mile December Bike Ride, Need Gear Advice

Post by Ranger Ron »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Around the end of November/Beginning of December, I'll be riding from WV back to FL and am looking for some gear advice. I need to pick up a full face helmet, some base-layer clothing, and insulated gloves. Anyone have any recommendations?
Fly, it's faster. :roll: :roll:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

haha.

I can trailer the bike back, but I'd rather ride it...I think. I've only done local central FL riding, nothing long distance or in cold weather.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

Preparation-H..... lots of it. :D
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Preperation H, Gold Bond (Green bottle not the yellow one) Powder, condoms and a 115lb. female hitch hiking stripper...

Good luck...get some pics the scenery should be great!!!!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Tater Nuts wrote:If your using clipless pedals invest in a pair of neoprene overbooties with cleat cutouts, if your using upright bars versus roadie stuff, the handcovers that mount on your bars are more versatile than gloves plus you can move your hands out of them if you start to overheat. During winter bike patrol I had better luck with a baclava or neck gaiter than full face helmets. Use a dry wax chain lube rather than a grease type. Spray the frame and bottom bracket area with PAM cooking spray to prevent road ice buildup.
Thanks, Ranger Tater Nuts. I mean motorcycle, though. Although, I do use the dry wax chain lube and Pam on my mountain bike. The Pam is awesome for just spraying the bike down after a ride.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:haha.

I can trailer the bike back, but I'd rather ride it...I think. I've only done local central FL riding, nothing long distance or in cold weather.
Holy shit, only local central florida and now your going to WV? in the Winter? I rode with the Patriot Guard yesterday and the temperature here in Dallas fell into the 50's, I froze my ass off.

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but if it was me, I'd reschedule this until Memoral day or something.

Make sure you give us updates along the ride, IF your fingers thaw out in time to type.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Box it and find a reliable shipping company. Or wait until next summer. Of course, if you were a winter Ranger, it wouldn't be a problem.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Here's the gear I'm looking at so far:

HJC CL-Max Flip-Up helmet (I have to wear glasses)
RoadGear Boss Gloves
Therma-Silk glove liners

I still have the poly-pro balaclava, and I have a fleece neck-gaitor. I also have a pair of Matterhorne ATD's, and an OK jacket. As long as I layer properly, I think I'll be alright.

Last time I went up there (January), I saw this guy riding a BMW touring bike on I75. He had ice all over him. It was cold and snowing. If that fucker can do it, so can I.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Here's the gear I'm looking at so far:

RoadGear Boss Gloves
Therma-Silk glove liners

I still have the poly-pro balaclava, and I have a fleece neck-gaitor. I also have a pair of Matterhorne ATD's, and an OK jacket. As long as I layer properly, I think I'll be alright.

Last time I went up there (January), I saw this guy riding a BMW touring bike on I75. He had ice all over him. It was cold and snowing. If that fucker can do it, so can I.
I spent 7 years in BN getting in trouble for refusing to give into this type of thinking..a better train of thought, while driving your car in bermuda shorts with the heater on is, "look at that dumb ass".
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by EvilCouch »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Here's the gear I'm looking at so far:

RoadGear Boss Gloves
Therma-Silk glove liners

What's a flip-up helmet got to do with wearing glasses?

I have a full-face and wear glasses. I just have to take my glasses off before I put my helmet on or off.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The Mosh Pit”