How prepared do you need to be??

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Deadmeat

How prepared do you need to be??

Post by Deadmeat »

Ok same as most i got the whole Range contract and such. Its just that RIP worrys me some. I got 7 months till i leave and i have been working hard at PT (Running and lifting daily) I just feel like even that may not be enough. I here the mental part is the hardest to grasp. I mean do some people go into basic with no PT at all and make it through RIP??? Do i have a good head start??? I'm just your average male physically. Just looking for some input.

Oh Btw if anyone hasn't read The Coveted Black and Gold. That book is amazing!
Spartan

Re: How prepared do you need to be??

Post by Spartan »

Deadmeat wrote:I mean do some people go into basic with no PT at all and make it through RIP?
Not that I know of. But you've got 7 months, so you'd better get busy and stay busy. Why don't you ask the other kids what their workout routine is in the DEP zone? A little shared knowledge and experience goes a long way.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

So your saying every person that is a Ranger was training for a long time even before basic?? I find that hard to believe. No offense but thats a bit unfair to someone who wants to go Ranger but wasn't an all star athlete in High school or something. I never thought much about working out (I spend all day on my computer and such) so i can't have a chance. I mean i would hope that basic and Ait would get you ready enough to pass, as long as you wanted it bad enough. Anyway only one or two other Deps even take the time. Most don't care at the moment. Though i'm only one of the the few combat Mos's at the moment.
wannuhbe

Post by wannuhbe »

hey deadmeat, juss to let you know, i heard that basic training is a total break compared to ranger training. plus, if basic training and AIT prepared you to become a ranger, then i bet rangers wouldn't be a special forces.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Yah i guess, i mean its kidna depressing to think if i run and lift for 7 months that still isn't enough before i leave. I mean i only have made this decesion 2 weeks ago its not like i had years to do it.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, 7 months is well enough time to get into shape (depending on how motivated you are ). I'll post my PT schedule in the DEP Commo Zone when I get a chance.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Listen Here Wannuhbe!

Post by Ranger »

wannuhbe wrote:hey deadmeat, juss to let you know, i heard that basic training is a total break compared to ranger training. plus, if basic training and AIT prepared you to become a ranger, then i bet rangers wouldn't be a special forces.
Wannuhbe, no one cares about 'what you heard'. The only currency here is EXPERIENCE. And being that you've got 2.5 years to go until high school ends, everyone knows you've got NONE.

So, in the future, I don't think anyone needs to be reading your posts on "I heard", "I bet", or "my momma told me".

You are a guest on this website. This website exists for those who served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, graduated Ranger School, or served in other Ranger, LRP, LRS or LRRP units to communicate with each other and, if and when they feel so inclined, to share their exeriences with those who are seeking to do the same. We don't need a bunch of clutter on the site from people with NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER.

You may ask concise, to the point questions if you've got them. Otherwise, you are a reader and not a writer. Got it?
Spartan

PT will not prepare you for being a Ranger.

Post by Spartan »

Deadmeat wrote:I never thought much about working out (I spend all day on my computer and such) so i can't have a chance.
Deadmeat:

Yes, you are right. Doing extra PT probably would not help much. It is a much better preparation experience and far more important activity for you to just use your computer all day, instead of doing PT.

Good Luck.
Tool175

Post by Tool175 »

Deadmeat do us a favor and nullify your Rgr contract so some young HOOAH who actually has some Intestinal Fortitude can have the ability to attend RIP. With that attitude you will quit on the first day.
Waanabe-just b/c you do not understand something does not mean it is crap, don't blame your ignorance ona long dead playwright, who, as it appears had more inelligence in his pinky than you have in that unused space directly above your neck.
Now both of you get the ^*()% DOWN!!! :twisted:
The TOOL, RLTW!!!
SgtSommer
Embryo

Deadmeat...

Post by SgtSommer »

These boys are right, the fire in the gut they are talking about is what you need to pass. The mental edge is not knowing your physically fit, and better then the next guy, its knowing that no matter what the next guy can do, or what he says, you are the one that will make it. That no matter what anyone else says you will not quit. If you are not ready to die in training before you quit, give up now.

I am a cold weather survival instructor up in northern BC and from time to time we end up instructing cadets and the odd civilian (SAR guys mostly) and I have to tell you their is nothing like freezing some one to the point of madness to see what they are capable of.

If you don't think you can make it, quit before you make a fool of yourself.

Sgt Sommer
Before you run, learn to walk.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Edit:
snapper-916-
Embryo

Post by snapper-916- »

how does the quiting work. is it like GI jane and ring out?

and what would be a reason u'd get cut for?

dont critisize me, you dont even know me. just asking questions other have been probably wondering
Spartan

Quitting

Post by Spartan »

Well, they pretty much just say the two words "I Quit", there is no quitting ceremony, ritual or anything. It's not deserving of such either.

After quitting, you would be required to move all your stuff to a different barracks so as to not have a negative affect on those still motivated towards success. The best thing anyone still in RIP can do is, if you've made friends with someone and they quit, don't talk to them ever again. If you have any of their gear, return it immediately. If they have your gear, try once to get it back, then if unsuccessful, either get the chain of command involved, or go buy new gear and blow it off.

When I was in RIP, we called quitters "Terminators" as they had terminated their contract or attempt at being a Ranger. They moved to the "terminator" barracks and had the stigma of being a 'terminator' attached immediately, along with getting every shit detail possible that needed doing.

As to criticizing you, we'll do it whenever we feel you need the criticism. If you can't handle a bit of criticism on a forum from people who don't know you, then you're probably not Ranger material. Seems kind of wierd that you're concerned about quitting before you have even tried. In my view, people who think about shit like that are concerned with "giving it just enough to make it", rather than giving it everything you've got and then some. If you properly prepare and give it all you've got, you should have nothing to worry about. If you don't make it, then you didn't do both of those things, which are pretty much required.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

I agree with the above post, from what it seems i have read about Rip. If your in it mentally and just give 110% then you should have no trouble in passing. Ranger school may be different you may try your hardest but not be cut out for it. Thats why they give you that time in BN to get your ready i assume.... Either way i think we should all just focus on giving it are all in Rip and we should do just fine :)
Glock

Post by Glock »

Snapper, soak in what Ranger pneves is telling you. If your thinking of quiting already what will you be thinking when you have a Ranger instructor yelling down your throat? If you don't really want to be a Ranger or you honestly think you will be waisting your time. If your thinking like that and if you already have a Ranger contract then nullify it and let some high speed recruit get ahold of it. But, if you wan't it bad enough and your prepared to do what it take to get it then by all means kick ass and show them what your made of. Good luck

Return to “About RASP”