Senior Research Project

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

With the two options you have listed, Citizen Soldiers would probably be easier to put together. GWOT vs. other insurgencies? While it may be a good personal research project, I think you would be hard-pressed to fit it into 15 pages while still giving it a good treatment.

The GWOT itself has several different insurgencies going on, both Afghanistan and Iraq each have more than one, not to mention Israel-Palestine (namely, Hezbollah and Hamas), the Horn of Africa, the Philipines, Indonesia, Kashmir, Sri Lanka...and those are just the Muslim vs. Other.

Let's see there's also Western Sahara Separtists (vs. Morrocan Gov't), Yemeni Separtists, Maoist Insurgency in Nepal, various tribal insurgencies vs. the ruling Myanmar tribe in Burma, the Colombian drug lord (FARC) narco-terror insurgency, the inumerable west and central African insurgencies...

In the past: The Revolutionary War, the Boer Wars (S. Africa 1800s), the Indian Wars (here, post-Civil War); somewhat more modern: Indochina (Vietnam, etc.), Namibian struggle for independence from S. Africa, Nicaragua, the Khmer Rouge (Cambodia)...

...and I know I skipped/missed a bunch. On the other hand, you could just do Citizen Soldiers. You could solicit stories from some of us who have been citizen-soldiers (yes, that includes me, and I'm willing to help you) and include things you learned from those. You may also want to work up some interview-type questions. Of course, Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose would also be required reading.

Let us know what you decide. Feel free to PM me about it.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Citizen Soldiers is a very worthwhile topic, but you would need to narrow it down. I did a paper on this exact topic at C&GSC, but that was over 20 years ago. You may want to read the book, "Killer Angels." It highlights Joshua Lawarence, a professor from Boudin College in Maine who fought in the Civil War. During the Battle of Little Round Top, his unit ran out of ammunition and he ordered a bayonet charge. Grant was so impressed with him, Lawrence was chosen to accept Lee's surrender. After the war, Lawrence returned to teaching at Boudin College. Today, even with an all volunteer military, most serve their initial enlistment and return to civilian life.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

DEP68W and others: My reference to the "Killer Angels" was in error. The correct full name for the man I referred to is Joshua Lawerence Chamberlin. Thank you Ranger Jim for your PM.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

DEP68W wrote:... are the only ones that should be afforded all of those rights. The fact that a small percentage of the population is willing to fight for the rest of the country is part of the majesty and honorableness of it. There are a lot fo stupid people out there but I feel they still deserve all of the rights afforded to everyone else.
You've got a good thesis right there, but I'd recommend saving that for your next paper (start the outline now tho') and concentrate on the citizen soldier theme since this is a research paper & not the kind of paper where you're trying to sell a point of view (I know, there's a single word for that but I'm having a 'senior moment').

Narrow it down & define what you mean first. BY 'citizen soldier' do you mean any non-career one term soldier, or "duration-only" enlistees or conscripts, or those who serve primarily part time in the reserve components ("twice the citizen") and/or the mass armies of the world wars constituted by all of the above?
Would your definition of 'citizen-soldier' be also described as 'servicemember', aren't sailors and airmen also included in all those catagories?

(sidebar: In the world wars, the US conscripted for the Navy as well as the Army, and the air arms were part of the army & navy. Most nations with national service requirements conscript for all three services. The American VN era conscription policy was an anamoly.)
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Senior Research Project

Post by Jim »

DEP68W wrote:At my school every Senior has to do a 15 page Research Project. I was going to do mine on either Citizen Soldiers, Who they are and why they fight
This sounds like a super project. I have always felt that every citizen should be required to bear arms in defense of the nation. Please allow me to point out the role of the Army National Guard (ARNG); as part time soldiers, they are responsible to support a state-mission during peacetime and of course when federalized, to the nation. Army Reserve members have many of the same requirements, but are managed by the Army during peacetime. At any rate, the Reserve Component deserves a mention -- feel free to PM me if you have questions or need references.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

DEP68W,

You noted that your project was still in the infantile stages. Is the project something you are currently assigned, or is it just something you know is coming? I ask, because although it's good to plan ahead of time, you don't want to let it bog down your other classes, nor do you want to do a lot of work just to find it won't fit project guidelines that you haven't received yet.

If you choose to go that path, my story falls under the Reserve category. While the "Big" Army proclaims that a "soldier is a soldier, no matter what component", there are differences between components (Regular, Reserve, and National Guard). There's also something to be said for someone who is willing, on a moment's notice, to drop everything and go serve.

Lastly, thank you for being respectful, but the title "Intell Soldier" is a little clunky when prefixed to a name. "Veteran" is smoother and valid for all service members past and present. It also fits my present situation better (I was still in the Service when I joined the site).
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

You might also read Gerald Linderman's book "Embattled Courage". It covers the Civil War. Its been quite some time since I read it, and actually used his 'model' in a paper on Maj. John W. M. Appleton, 54th Massachusetts Infantry and the experience of black troops in the Civil War.

I presented that paper at the Duquesne University History Conference in 1995. I think I still have a copy around here somewhere if you are interested in reading it.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”