Sports/Preparation

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
MARINEvet
USMC Veteran

Sports/Preparation

Post by MARINEvet »

As a veteran younger people often ask me if any sports would help prepare them for military service. Here is my view. I dedicated my high school years to playing football. In hindsight I feel that although it was better than nothing; football had very little to do with preparing me for service as an infantryman.On the other end of the spectrum I had a friend that competed in olympic style rifle shooting and was also a serious track and field athelete. He was able to directly apply these skills in the military. As a recruit he was the highest shooter on the rifle range out of a group of over two hundred recruits. He was also able to acheive a perfect score on the USMC physical fitness test,20 pull ups,80 sit ups in 2:00 min.,and a three mile run in 18:00 min. Think of some sports that would have a direct military application, orienteering,wrestling,karate,cross country....Post your views and help young men that aspire to be RANGERS mentally and physically prepare themselves to meet the challenge!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sports/Preparation

Post by Steadfast »

MARINEvet wrote:As a veteran younger people often ask me if any sports would help prepare them for military service. Here is my view. I dedicated my high school years to playing football. In hindsight I feel that although it was better than nothing; football had very little to do with preparing me for service as an infantryman.On the other end of the spectrum I had a friend that competed in olympic style rifle shooting and was also a serious track and field athelete. He was able to directly apply these skills in the military. As a recruit he was the highest shooter on the rifle range out of a group of over two hundred recruits. He was also able to acheive a perfect score on the USMC physical fitness test,20 pull ups,80 sit ups in 2:00 min.,and a three mile run in 18:00 min. Think of some sports that would have a direct military application, orienteering,wrestling,karate,cross country....Post your views and help young men that aspire to be RANGERS mentally and physically prepare themselves to meet the challenge!

Marinevet, as a new visitor to this site it is required that you make an introduction prior to making a post and to read FAQ at the beginning of forum and at the top of each posting forum. If you missed it as to where it is follow below url:
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1842
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I played football and baseball in high school. The physical conditioning didn't help much in the military, but getting used to being part of a team did help. The "two-a-days" helped prepare me mentally for what was to come. There is very little in the civilian world that really can prepare you for the military way of doing things, but I do believe that playing sports helped some.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sports/Preparation

Post by Steadfast »

MARINEvet wrote:As a veteran younger people often ask me if any sports would help prepare them for military service. Here is my view. I dedicated my high school years to playing football. In hindsight I feel that although it was better than nothing; football had very little to do with preparing me for service as an infantryman.On the other end of the spectrum I had a friend that competed in olympic style rifle shooting and was also a serious track and field athelete. He was able to directly apply these skills in the military. As a recruit he was the highest shooter on the rifle range out of a group of over two hundred recruits. He was also able to acheive a perfect score on the USMC physical fitness test,20 pull ups,80 sit ups in 2:00 min.,and a three mile run in 18:00 min. Think of some sports that would have a direct military application, orienteering,wrestling,karate,cross country....Post your views and help young men that aspire to be RANGERS mentally and physically prepare themselves to meet the challenge!
I guess I was one of the few that was running since I was about 9 years old. Every game I played running was instrumental. I began playing handball and played for 8 years, many days during the summer were 18 hour days. I played every sport there was even if it weren't in high school. I even played street hockey on roller skates for 3 years. My brother and I used to run from school 1.5 mile to home on lunch, ate and ran back to school, all within the hour every day of the week. I was neva a fast runner but I could run forever. I am just sorry there was no marathon for me to run in back then as I know I would have completed it. I would want to know my time.

During my tenure in basic I was always aiding those that couldn't run. I just couldn't understand why they ran like shit. The next time I ever encountered a problem was in a running program in Nam. I caught a bad cold and had to run 7 miles with a 30 lb ruck and full LBE and Weapon. I neva caught my second breath but neva gave up and completed the run with 7 minutes to spare. Our running was up and down hills. I neva would quit or let them know I was hurting. More power to me in retrospect.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
lemieux171
Soldier

Post by lemieux171 »

I wrestle for my high school and it has helped me alot. push ups, and endurence while running especially. Alot of people from my team over the past years have gone into the military, army, marines, navy. They all say that with out wrestling basic and boot camp would have been alot harder for them...they said wrestling tought them about mental toughness and how to push your body beyond your own limits if you let your mind take over. I cant wait to apply every thing my coach tought me in when i go to basic
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

lemieux171 wrote:I wrestle for my high school and it has helped me alot. push ups, and endurence while running especially. Alot of people from my team over the past years have gone into the military, army, marines, navy. They all say that with out wrestling basic and boot camp would have been alot harder for them...they said wrestling tought them about mental toughness and how to push your body beyond your own limits if you let your mind take over. I cant wait to apply every thing my coach tought me in when i go to basic
Check mix, you need to read the FAQ again on dispensing advice you know absolutely nothing about. :evil:

Here is a reminder:
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... highlight=
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
lemieux171
Soldier

Post by lemieux171 »

Fourth - as you have not yet soldiered, you will refrain from dispensing advice on the best path to acheive the goals one seeks while serving or how to accomplish the tasks which are performed by a soldier. If, and only if, you later become a soldier, we invite you to share your experiences about soldierly matters on this website.

- -Is this what you are talking about Ranger Luna? If so i apoligize and it will not happen again. If this is not what you are talking about than (no disrespect intended). Also, if I'm still wrong could you please explain what i did? Thank you
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Desert Sloth wrote:Yeah Mothafucka! Ooops, another insult during the Easter Peace Treaty.

I am all gobbled up.
That's done with Biatch!!!

And what's this "I did long distance running for fun?????" That sounds about the same as, "I pound nails into my nuts for fun."

I'd have to say playing Jr All-American Football at a young age helped prepare me for military life in general. Prolly only because all my coaches were ex-military. I think I got yelled at harder as a 9yr old playing football for Coach benson, then I did in basic.....(I remembered my football coaches name, and I can't remember one of my DS's names, so what does that tell you?)

As for mental conditioning, I grew up with a bunch of guys who all wanted to be in Special-Ops...and most of us ended up succeeding. So we were always pushing each other to do a lot of stuff as kids......so, Don't hang out with pussies-it might rub off.

I did a lot of backpacking as a kid-and I was always a good rucker in the army.......I did next to no running in my HS years (except for the occasional burst of speed from the cops) and conversely I am and always have been a shitty runner.

I don't think a potential Ranger could go wrong with football, track, swimming, karate, etc. Basically anything that is physical and toughens the mind and/or the body.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”