ACL Tears

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Buy an xbox and Ghost Recon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear that DS! Im not a medical type, but the peoplle Ive known to have such injuries, had surgery, followed with having a full leg cast to insure proper healing. Then, therapy starts.

But times have changed, so maybe they rcould give you obot legs and you star in the New Bionic Woman show. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

ssshhhhnanananananananna
nununununununununu
nununununununununu
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
knightcat
Ranger

BS

Post by knightcat »

don't listen to that timeline..... I was back in about 4 months. I had ACL, MCL reconstruction, and meniscus tears.... Swimming was the best thing to do. I was in the pool as soon as I started physical therapy and my knee is in better shape than my other wheel!
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I tore my ACL (small tear) four years ago. Dr's decided to let it heal on it's own. The next step is while you are waiting. Pain med I wound up taking was either percaset &/or Tynol # 3 with codeine. Percasets is what you might want to take after surgery & Tynol #3 prior to surgery. Surgeon reasoned with me that not a good idea to get used to percasets then become ineffective later on down the road. Took nine months for my ACL to heal on its own. No more trouble since then.

PS: I never took full dose of pain meds - trying to get by on least amt or 1/2 of 1 pill instead of two pills.

Heal pronto DS.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

Ranger, get a good doctor. Find one in your area who specialized in knee operations. That is essential.

I partially tore my ACL playing rugby in Nov of 91. I had a scope in which they removed about 50% of it. That spring I was playing with a large knee brace and completely destroyed the damn thing. (yes I was playing against the advise of my doctor) I had my surgery in July of 92 and I was playing rugby again in February of 93. I was in a swimming pool walking within a week and swimming a few weeks later, and I started riding my bike in low gear at a full range of motion within one month. I was only 26 years old and in good shape so my doctor had me on an aggressive rehab plan. If you are in good shape 4 months is very realistic. I second Ranger Knightcat in that my reconstructed knee is better than my other one. I have no limitations. I have been doing anything that I ever desired since then, and even spent three years on jump status after it.

Your recovery depends upon your state of mind.

I suggest staying away from the pain medicine as much as possible. That crap messes up lives and the pain from this surgery is not that bad.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
Goatboy708
Tadpole

Post by Goatboy708 »

I had knee surgery about 6 years ago. I had partial tears on my ACL, MCL, and miniscus. From what my doctor told me is that ACL tears will never heal on their own due to the lack of blood flow in the part of your joint. Which I'm not certain is true, but it is the information I was given. I was also told that with a partial tear that it could completely tear at any time.

When I went in they had two main types of surgery. The old one "patellar tendon graft" where they take out part of your patellar tendon to replace the bad ACL, and the "hamstring graft" which is what I had. They take some muscle tissue and a couple ligaments int he back of your leg (backside of your knee) then replace the torn ACL with.

The hamstring graft was fairly new when I had it, but it was great. It was only 6 months until I was completely released from my doctors care. He was pretty aggressive though. Wanted me to walk without crutches as soon as I could, and only wore a brace for two weeks. I had surgery on a tuesday and was on a stationary bike and underwater treadmill that same friday during my first PT session.

The only complaints I have with the surgery (I have since then screwed my knee back up) is that I have never been able to bend my lower left leg to 90 deg when standing up. I irritate my hamstring pretty often. I also was told by my doctor that he would be using bio-absorbabale screws, found out when I went to MEPS that I actually had an inch long titanium screw running through my upper shin(which wasnt mentioned in my surgery report).
"I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me cookie"
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

not a good idea to get used to percasets then become ineffective later on down the road.
Damn right.

I am immune to the P now. Vicodin helps a little but nothing is better than Motrin and Bourbon. Pain sucks, but it is manageable.

I feel for you. Get that shit right. Get better while you can.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry

Return to “Medical Issues”