TxBowhunter Update

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
TxBowhunter
Tadpole

TxBowhunter Update

Post by TxBowhunter »

Completed OCS and commissioned on 19 Aug.

Branched IN and headed to a RSTA Squadron. The unit is currently still Armor and will be shifting FY 07.

Current plan of action is Air Assault at the end of Sept. I still haven't received hard dates but they told us at commissioning we could go if we wanted and I figure it's as good a time as any to get it out of the way.

I was also told I could schedule BAC prior to BOLC II/ IN BOLC III( IOBC) and will do that.

BOLC II/ IN BOLC III (IOBC), Pre-Ranger, and Ranger course will follow at a date to be determined, the sooner the better in my opinion.

In the mean time I will meet my platoon and begin training with them and doing as much PT as I can fit in.
BCT, OCS, IBOLC '04-'06
1/112th CAV (RSTA) '06-

"Many may serve, few will lead"
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

Congratulations! I know it was a long 18 months. Good Luck to you and all of class 49.
Myth
US Army Veteran

welcome

Post by Myth »

I am new here also and would like to say thanks for your service and welcome
2nd Med 2 I.D. 86-87
HHC 1/502 Medic 87-88
EagleDustoff 89-92
HHB Divarty 2 I.D 93
57 Med Air Amb 94
LEO Since 1995
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Kudos, Sir! Lead the Way!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Seems as though you forgot to plan the Scout Leader course while you are certifying to be a big boy. Here's your challenge from me, try to figure out what it is that a RSTA Squadron actually does. RSTA is currently serving as a very understrength and undergunned Motorized Infantry (Company plus)
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Congratulations Sir! Best of luck.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
TxBowhunter
Tadpole

Post by TxBowhunter »

Ranger Scuba Wino,
I have learned that lesson and would not have finished OCS with out the help of more than one NCO. I realize I have a lot to learn to master my profession and look forward to being a sponge.

Ranger Silverback,
I was told that as an infantry officer SLC was not an option since my MTOE position doesn't have the SLC designator and when I inquired with a few armor officers who have recently finished SLC they said they hadn’t seen any infantry types while they were there. If I can make SLC work I definitely will and while it’s a long way off armor CCC is probably where I will be headed eventually.

I am very excited about being in a RSTA squadron and the reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition mission is one I think I will enjoy. As far as the real mission in Iraq from what I have been reading many different units are acting as infantry companies so that's not limited to RSTA troops.

The dismount scout platoon is light with nothing heavier than a 240B on the MTOE and only 28 troops total including the PL and PSG. From what I have read, an article in Armor Magazine, usually they operate as a 4 gun truck element with at least an M2 and Mk-19, that must have been donated from company HQ. Route recon and stay behind ops with the sniper section seem to be the primary roles for the scout plt.

If I’m off base on this let me know. I know you are at a RSTA squadron now and I’m curious If the MTOE you have includes more vehicles for the DRT scout platoons than the 1 HMMWV and 1 LMTV. That seems to me to be something that would change, if not in garrison at least in country. As always any knowledge and or sources of information I can get my hands on would be much appreciated.
BCT, OCS, IBOLC '04-'06
1/112th CAV (RSTA) '06-

"Many may serve, few will lead"

Return to “Letters from School”