Also getting out of the chair.

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Also getting out of the chair.

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

This'll be my sort of living journal to track my progress, and receive some advice as needed from those who are masters of being smoked (and smoking others) that will improve me and not ruin me.

Credit where it's due: Ranger Splat's ongoing living journal of sorts gave me the inspiration to post publicly, as he did. Granted, I'm no Ranger (never had the desire to be, I freely admit...you guys are nuts! :P ), but at one time I was pretty damn fit. So sad that it only took three years to fall almost completely apart, and I want to rectify that before it becomes a major health concern...moreso than it potentially could be.

Using Ranger Splats thread as a guide/template...here's what I've got...BTW, nothing from the DEPS if you please. Just because you intend to go Airborne and Ranger doesn't mean jack. You're not there yet.

1. Financial: I ain't got shit. I work for Domino's as a delievery driver (don't knock it...during semester I can make over $100 in one NIGHT in tips), which also doesn't help my eating habits at all as any leftover cooked items at the end of the night are fair game. And being a college student/bum, I make full use of that. Been working on cutting back greatly.

Anyways, I'm a college student, almost done with my bachelors (hopefully) as a high school history teacher and I don't want to show up to teach my future students looking like a walking blimp. I've got some other options I've been lining up, most dealing in game design, writing and computer graphics, but this is where my degree is lined up. But so far, I live off of student loans now (GI Bill and IL Vets Grant are used up completely now), and what I can get from delievering pizzas, which during the summer ain't shit.

Still, it would behoove me and probably improve my chances of getting hired by a prospective school district if I looked like a fit individual.

2. Physical: Physically...it's a mix. Ranger Splat thought HE was a marshmellow...I've got'em beat. Weighted in after a (painful) run this morning at 221 lbs. I'm 26 yrs old, and 5'6". Not a good deal. I shouldn't be this much of a mess, but I brought it upon myself.

My goal is to be down to 166 lbs and maintain. If I can go a bit lower, then sweet. I've been there before, able to knock out over 66 pushups and roughly 70 situps, give or take, and run two miles in 13:00-13:-30 minutes. Going off the youngest age bracket for APFT...which I might still be in? Not entirely sure now.

I used to do Chi-Shen Ryu Karate katas, as well as run, lift weights and swim. But I haven't had access to some of that, plus I had full time schooling and work, so that didn't help matters any. Completely destroyed the routine I had.

However; I was working out pretty consistently during this previous spring semester with a buddy. Sadly, he's got a little stronger willpower it seems as he's been keeping it up, and I've let it slide. The biggest problem I've had though the entire time is that I do fine with pushups and situps (supine bicycles are FUN!), but I don't lose weight because I don't do enough cardiovascular. And I can't run like I used to because apparently my legs have apparently been moonlighting as...well, something. Dunno what they picked up (besides my fat ass) but I'm pretty positive I've got a case of persistent shin splints.

Bikes are good and I have used them, but I much rather run. Swimming is even better though. So this is the plan: LOTS of swimming for the next three-four weeks to keep from reinjuring myself (which I probably did this morning...thought they had healed enough, but I was wrong). Hitting weights, cutting back on the work food, and continuing to due supines, pushups and other assorted ab and chest workouts.

Not all at once of course. Looking at swimming three times a week, with weights alternating with free-standing exercises such as pushups and the like. Not going for bulk, so the weights are too heavy. Heavy enough to provide good exertion over 10-25 reps over 3 sets, depending on the machine.

I can knock out 60 pushups now (did that before my run), and roughly 50 situps...depending on how well I shift my gut to the side :P

I'll also pick up my katas once again...they're terribly rusty, but they're great cardio. Pity I didn't have my workout partner present, but he doesn't want to practice any combatives. The wuss.

I'll do an APFT for my age group just before Fall semester begins near the middle-end of next month. If I feel the shins are good for it. If not, I'll delay an extra two weeks, which should give a good five weeks recovery for them without pounding the pavement.

Edit: BTW, just cause I know one or more of you jokers will say it, yes I was a tanker and therefore was a marshmellow by default by Ranger standards, but frankly....I don't care. So there. :P

That's it from the Pizza Ninja today!
EvilCouch wrote: "CDAT? Coffin of Death, with A Turret?"

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote: "I like that...when I die I want to have a turret on the coffin. I want people to trip over my big gun when I'm buried...till the grounds keepers get tired of mowing around it and cut it off with a hacksaw..."

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
A Co 1-8 Cav, 1st Cav 98-00
D Co 2/334/9/84th Inf Div (IT) 00-05
ETSed Sept 05
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

RBL, I wish you the best on your efforts to get back in shape.

Based on the information you posted here, I'd suggest starting with some light exercise and just cutting back on your caloric intake.

Key is low carbs and reduce the calories (start with about 2200 and reduce from there). Also start increasing your water intake. You'll want to be up around 2 gallons a day (of ice cold water) after about 8 weeks. It will help you feel full and the cold water will also help you burn some additional calories.

You've made the decision.. now you have to stick with it and stay focused on your goals.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

Definately hitting the water that's for sure. Tis good advice.

I'm shooting for a few laps in the university pool each time I go in, plus hitting weights on one of the day (just light weights I think) and free standing it the other before the swim. Nothing major really.

That's the plan anyways.

I have a bad habit though of taking it up a couple of notches when I probably shouldn't. I'm impatient, and I know what I used to be able to do. It's probably what gave me the shin splints in the first place. :oops:

Anyways, appreciate the tips. :) Best of luck to us both.

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote: "I like that...when I die I want to have a turret on the coffin. I want people to trip over my big gun when I'm buried...till the grounds keepers get tired of mowing around it and cut it off with a hacksaw..."

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
ETSed Sept 05
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Remember that you didn't get into the shape you're in now overnight. It took time to get there and it will take time to accomplish your goals. You can do it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Im pushing for you brother!!! 8) Maybe you can motivate me to do the same.

By the way, I'll take the Pizza's you don't eat. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

Ranger Luna wrote:Im pushing for you brother!!! 8) Maybe you can motivate me to do the same.

By the way, I'll take the Pizza's you don't eat. :wink:
$3 per and it's yours. I'm giving you a discount, normally I'd charge $5. :lol:

And you're right Ranger Bill. It's just a matter of disciplining myself to take my time and make it work instead of trying to do what I used to do.

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
ETSed Sept 05
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

Shit that swimming thing for several laps sucks! I forgot about that.

I get in the water, and I'm panting and weezing, I'm feeling my body cramping, my stomach starting to almost want to heave, my eyesight falling into tunnel vision....

And then I began to swim. :lol:

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
ETSed Sept 05
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

make sure while swimming to stretch well before getting in. the key to competative, or distance swimming is to keep your muscles loose. explosive isometric power isn't usefull in the water, except off the blocks or wall during a turn (and that's all legs). mainly it's staying loose in the arms, sholders, and back. once you tighten up, you get overly fatigued. so, stretch between sets, as you take lap breaks and last longer, so that you can maintain the cardio range you want for longer periods.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

Thanks for the advice Ranger KW Driver. Right now I'm just taking it easy so I don't cause damage to myself, but making sure to swim the full length of the pool still even if it is a very slow rate.

I didn't think about the stretching though after each set, so I will definately keep that in mind come tomorrow.

Weight as of last night: 214.5. Taking into account there will be fluctuation, but it is promising.

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
ETSed Sept 05
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

The most obvious problem you have/had is the same I was confronted with when I worked door-to-door: Bad nutrition aka Junk food

I guarantee you, that if you cut out soda's and pizza out of your diet completely, the pounds will come off a lot faster.

Go online and buy some protein and have a shake every three hours. I would recommend Cytosport's MuscleMilk, which you could get at a lot of places and it tastes great. www.dpsnutrition.com has been an excellent place for us in the sand to get our stuff fast and well priced.

One of my buddies made the comment the other day that was 100% true:

"No matter how good the stuff is for you, if it doesn't taste good, you won't take it."

With a healthy balance of shakes, exercise and watching my caloric intake, I went from 207 down to around 180 in about 110 days. It is all about how much you really want it though.
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

I definately agree with that Ranger Matador. I have cut back drastically on the pizza and the soda, though I did slip recently when I was up all night working on flyers for the boss (getting $174 out of it though, so I can't complain). That was weakness on my part though.

How effective are the shakes? I've thought about giving them a try off an on, doing some research into it over the years. I've heard a lot of conflicting accounts on it, and I've been rather wary due to the whole steroid and other supplements debate.

So any guidance on that would be appreciated.

Unrelated, I've been contemplating a way to try to get more exercise while I sit here at the computer during my numerous browsing sessions. So I thought of putting into my signature block some instructions for folks to gimme a hand on getting into shape. Something like, "Please feel free to drop me. Tell me at any time, as often as you like, to do a certain number of pushups or situps and I will do them."

I dunno though, I've been thinking of it off an on for awhile now. Been very wary about broaching the subject. Do you think that's a bad idea, or does it seem I'm trying to put responsibility of my body's upkeep onto others? Which I don't want to do by any means. I'm just trying to maximize as much time as possible to improving myself. If it's a bad idea I'll scrap it and come up with a better plan of action.

Still can't run, but I am, starting tomorrow, to walk for about an hour in any direction in town. I figure that, combined with swimming and changing diet, might help to improve the metabolism and get the legs prepared.

I appreciate the guidance Rangers. I'll keepl trucking and whittling away at it.

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
ETSed Sept 05
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote:I definately agree with that Ranger Matador. I have cut back drastically on the pizza and the soda, though I did slip recently when I was up all night working on flyers for the boss (getting $174 out of it though, so I can't complain). That was weakness on my part though.
Don't cut back drastically, cut it out of your diet completely. Of course I highly recommend that you give yourself one meal a week during which you eat whatever you want, but remember that is one meal out of 21 main meals a week. If you aren't eating breakfast right now, it is time to make that a habit. People who do not eat breakfast tend to have more bodyfat than people who do. I'll find the exact numbers for you.
How effective are the shakes? I've thought about giving them a try off an on, doing some research into it over the years. I've heard a lot of conflicting accounts on it, and I've been rather wary due to the whole steroid and other supplements debate.
Are you under the impression that Whey Protein and Windstrol are in the same league? If so, you are listening to the wrong people.

Whey protein is what you should add to your diet. It will help your muscles recover after workouts. When you lift, run, stretch or do anything that involves physical activity, you are tearing your muscles. Tiny little tears are created and need to be fixed asap. So your body uses Protein to rebuild the muscle. Pretty simple, right? So if you are planning on doing a lot of physical exercise like running, biking, swimming, lifting etc, your body is going to need more protein. It is a good thing to supplement an already healthy diet with protein shakes.
Unrelated, I've been contemplating a way to try to get more exercise while I sit here at the computer during my numerous browsing sessions. So I thought of putting into my signature block some instructions for folks to gimme a hand on getting into shape. Something like, "Please feel free to drop me. Tell me at any time, as often as you like, to do a certain number of pushups or situps and I will do them."

I dunno though, I've been thinking of it off an on for awhile now. Been very wary about broaching the subject. Do you think that's a bad idea, or does it seem I'm trying to put responsibility of my body's upkeep onto others? Which I don't want to do by any means. I'm just trying to maximize as much time as possible to improving myself. If it's a bad idea I'll scrap it and come up with a better plan of action.
You are the only one who is going to make a difference on your body. I personally would never attempt to do something without at least a basic goal. Set yourself a realistic goal, with a realistic timeframe and work towards it.

Example: My long-term goal is to qualify for IM Hawaii in 2009. I know it will take a lot of time and dedication for me to get there, but I think I can do it. However, I am not going to say that I want to qualify for Kona next year. My plan is to begin by attending the Golden State Triathlon in October and completing the event. Everything from there is modifiable, but I am focused on my short-term goal.
Still can't run, but I am, starting tomorrow, to walk for about an hour in any direction in town. I figure that, combined with swimming and changing diet, might help to improve the metabolism and get the legs prepared.

I appreciate the guidance Rangers. I'll keepl trucking and whittling away at it.
There are a lot of good running workouts for beginners, which is what you essentially are again. Go to websites like www.active.com , www.trainingpeaks.com and google for running plans. There is a ton of information on those websites.

One of the most motivating things for me was to just participate in the 5k with my woman. She was running something like 25 miles a week and I was doing about 8, but the race was motivating. It gave all of it new perspective.

You are the maker of your destiny. If you want this bad enough, you'll figure things out. Ask questions with guys on this board. DesertSloth, CHCB, 502in62 and a ton of others have helped me out with everything from info on Triathlons, running, stretching and prep.

Now get off the computer and do some pushups :lol:
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

If you find protein shakes causing a lot of gas probelms for you, switch to a whey isolate. It will cost a little more, but save your ass in the long run.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Post by Lost_Jock »

Hi RBL_M1A2Tanker,
I was just re-reading your thread.

How's the training going? Are you managing to keep at it?

Hope things are going to plan, and you're managing to keep away from the pizza!

LJ
And when I had opened the fourth beer, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and her that sat on him was the wife, and Hell followed with her......
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

Sorry for a lack of update folks. I'm still keeping at it, though college had kicked in so I had a roughly 2-3 week adjustment period while I got a handle on the school schedule and work schedule.

That and just this weekend I was hit with Acute Sinusitis. Nasty shit I tell you. I'll be getting over that with some antibiotics for the next week roughly.

Anyways, yes I have managed to slowly adjust my eating habits, staying clear of pizza. A few times I have some slices but only when I haven't eaten anything else that day. Soda consumption is way down, especially this weekend. I've had one Pepsi for over...48 hours, give or take. Go me!

Legs are improving, though due to school and work I haven't been able to run as I'd like. Nonetheless, I believe I have a handle on that front so I'll be able to schedule in a workout schedule now easily.

First time I ran when school was in session I only ran roughly 7 laps at a good pace (inside running track), then walked fast for a good 20 minutes, before running a near sprint and then a full sprint. Legs started to ache at that point, so I laid off. I figure I'll keep at that until it no longer leaves me aching, and then start to increase from there.

Pushups are good, able to hit 42 without too much trouble. Situps are still weak though. More supine bicycles for me.

Weight wise, I seem to be stabilized at 212-13 for the moment. Not really much improvement there, but stamina wise and physical conditioning I've improved, slowly but surely.

The plan now that school is in session is to run at least once a week until that no longer causes me pain, then up it to two and so on. Still doing pushups and situps, though I believe I shall focus a bit more on the situp work while at the gym. They've always been my weakness, unfortunately.

So yea, that is my update. Still at it, real life has just been kicking me in the ass lately. But, you either adapt and overcome it, or you give up, and I'm not giving up. I will be under 200 before the end of the year. If I hit 175, then I shall be highly impressed. I'll just have to hit it hard and keep at it.

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
ETSed Sept 05

Return to “About Army Physical Training”