Rangers, question about weight gain / weight loss

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
2rgrbn
Ranger

fat or not

Post by 2rgrbn »

I went in at 233 and graduated 167, my weight while in bat was around 215 I fattened up before school some people from natick in Natick (near Boston) did test on my class to see if the course was fucking people up, if you want scientific info contact them,otherwise be in shape find a batboy to partner with and do your thing it's just a school
2/75 90-94 B Co. 2nd Plt Class 11-92
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I had just completed OCS and attended jump refresher before starting RS. Had a lot of ROTC football/ wrestlers in my class. A lot of the football jocks did not get out of Benning because of old injuries. The wrestlers and us skinny guys did OK. Did not see anyone gain weight, but a lot developed paunches from drinking too much water in Florida.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
Creeping Death wrote:It don't matter. You're body is gonna fail regardless of what weight you go in at. It's your heart and your head that gets you through Ranger School.
Absolutely Ranger CD.
A strong mind can carry a weak body,but a weak mind can't do shit for a strong body.
KH is right on & this skinny kid proved the 'strong mind/weak body' thesis.
I graduated 2 pounds heavier than I went in with.

Just train to max all events, not merely pass. That'll get you the reserve you need. But hard attitude is what matters most.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Breeze Sack
Ranger

Post by Breeze Sack »

Creeping Death wrote:It don't matter. You're body is gonna fail regardless of what weight you go in at. It's your heart and your head that gets you through Ranger School.
That about sums it up!
"Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country..."

RLTW

GLORYBOYS!!!
Aco 3/75 Rgr Rgt 1st Plt Wpns 00/02
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

Hoover wrote:I knew a little guy "Wingnut" who put on a couple pounds.
So far, that's what's happened to me Ranger Hoover. I'm 5'3, went in at about 121, left Benning Phase at 126, and by the time I weighed myself after Mountains (once I got free on exodus) I was just over 130. It looks like a lot of it is in my legs and shoulders...
1/1 ARB, 1st ID 09-Present
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

RIP - 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I had a West Point Nose Guard in my class. Came in about 270lbs. By the end of Mountains, he was tieing his pants on with bailing wire. Cinch Sack britches. By the end of Florida, he had to wear suspenders and tie them to his ears. Looked like he was wearing those big ass water waders. Think his final weight was in the 180 lb range. He was a mental wreck. Coach won't like this, Coach wants me big....what the fuckever.....
Did me good to watch his big shrivel away. Me, I went in at 165, came out in the 140's...
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

ShortStackAO wrote:
Hoover wrote:I knew a little guy "Wingnut" who put on a couple pounds.
So far, that's what's happened to me Ranger Hoover. I'm 5'3, went in at about 121, left Benning Phase at 126, and by the time I weighed myself after Mountains (once I got free on exodus) I was just over 130. It looks like a lot of it is in my legs and shoulders...
So what exactly is your status now?
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

Matador275 wrote: So what exactly is your status now?
I ended up loosing about 5 lbs in Florida (went down to about 125) and I'm sure since getting out of the field I've gained that back and then some...(ps today I graduated with Charlie CO, class 03-06)
1/1 ARB, 1st ID 09-Present
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

RIP - 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
NightRaider3A
Ranger

Post by NightRaider3A »

Shit, I thought I lost alot at 40 lbs. I usually weigh about 190-195, but I bulked up (muscle, mostly) to 215, thinking that if I lost the average 25 lbs, i'd be almost at my normal size. NOPE. I came out weighing about 170ish, and I was a big fucked up pile of mush. It was crazy, every time we came in from an FTX in mountains, I didn't even recognize myself. I just melted away.

Its all mental, just go in at your best physical condition and be preparted to suck big balls there. thats all you can do.
PL, XO 4ID APR02-APR05
RS 02-06
Assistant S3, 3-4 Cav JAN06-Pres
Jim Jones
Ranger

Post by Jim Jones »

I guess they went to 2 MREs a day during the ftx, 3 meals for recovery and the training week(at least for winter classes). Only one MRE a day was doing permanent damage. 2 MREs is still a big mental thing though, since it's usually 19 hours between breakfast and dinner without grazing.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. It's too bad he has never cried.
RIP class- 10-04
RS class- 05-06
B Co 2/75 Nov04-Present

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”