books

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

lemieux171
Soldier

books

Post by lemieux171 »

has anybody read "to be an army ranger"? Right now im in the middle of "ranger School " by Brace E. Barber and it is pretty good. Im looking for some feedback on any other good books anyone knows about or has read. Thanks
Bell

Post by Bell »

Use the "search" button at the top of the page.

RLTW
Bell
lemieux171
Soldier

Post by lemieux171 »

roger that ranger bell. thank you
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Or just look at the bottom of the page.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Doozerstick
Paratrooper

Post by Doozerstick »

Check out Darby's Rangers and Rudder's Rangers, both good WW2 historical accounts.

And then of course their's Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts (historical fiction, french and indian war) which I'd imagine is what popularized the word "ranger" back in the 30's (I think thats when it came out anyway) and lead to the actual naming of our WW2 commandos as "Rangers". And rangers take some of their history lessons straight out of it, even if it isn't totally accurate, (the standing orders come to mind.) My personal favorite book.
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Try Rangers in Korea.Not the most riveting book as it is full of short stories but the stories it has are amazing.It almost reads like a history book except it has personal feelings about training and the war mixed in with the valour of the Rangers.

I first read it before i went to Korea.Now it means even more to me because Ive seen the battlefields.
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
RafterMan
Tadpole

Post by RafterMan »

I read "To Be a U.S. Army Ranger", it was extremely well done and thorough. Answered all the questions I ever had about the Rangers.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: books

Post by Steadfast »

lemieux171 wrote:has anybody read "to be an army ranger"? Right now im in the middle of "ranger School " by Brace E. Barber and it is pretty good. Im looking for some feedback on any other good books anyone knows about or has read. Thanks
I haven't read the above book. Please do not tell me the ending as I may read the book sometime. 8) Some fucker told me the end of the movie "Passions of the Christ" and ruined it for me. :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jlp
Ranger

Re: books

Post by jlp »

I haven't read the above book. Please do not tell me the ending as I may read the book sometime. 8) Some fucker told me the end of the movie "Passions of the Christ" and ruined it for me. :shock:[/quote]

Same thing happened to me with the movie Titantic, who would have thought the ship would hit an iceburg and sink.
Aco 3/75

RLTW
NORCAL18T
Embryo

Post by NORCAL18T »

Ive read "To Be A U.S. Army Ranger" by Russ Bryant. Very good book! Also "U.S. Special Forces" by Alan M. Landau & Frieda W. Landau. Has a good section on Rangers. and also "Airborne" by Tom Clancy.
A Co 2/9 INF, Korea

Return to “The Mosh Pit”