With a little help from my friends

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Vee
Ranger

With a little help from my friends

Post by Vee »

Alright, Listen Up Men!

Vrsca finally has something to say that you ALL need to hear.

I am a VA employee. I am a Ranger. 2+2 = yall have an inside contact.

But I must explain some things.

1. I AM NOT A BENEFITS COUNSELOR, I AM IN THE SAME BOAT AS ALL OF YOU, TRYING TO GET MY OWN SHIT TAKEN CARE OF.

2. I AM PROMISING NOTHING TO ANY OF YOU AS FAR AS BENEFITS ARE CONCERNED.

3. I will offer ANY help I can to any Ranger on this site.

That having been explained, I am in a unique situation here (I haven't seen any other VA employees on the site yet) where I may be of some help to a Ranger Buddy or two.

What, exactly, that help may consist of remains to be seen. I have not done any research on benefits........but I probably have much easier access to the information than all of you. I had originally hoped that our benefits counselor here would be of help, since he's a friend of mine....but I asked him to help one of the men on this forum, and he turned out to be a typical federal employee shitbag. I am willing to become a psuedo-benefits counselor if that is at all possible.

I guess what I am saying is that I will do all I can for you, but I cannot promise that it will do any good. I have no inside influence at the VA.

I am doing research for two Rangers on this site already.....but I already see that there is a need for a subject matter expert. I will start trying to gather books, regulations, and information today. If I can get a library going, and disseminate some knowledge, maybe we can come back at these guys with more than just an "educated guess".

All I ask in return is that you all realize that this will take some time...not as much as MOST government paperwork I hope...but I can see this becoming a part-time job for me :wink:

RLTW
RSD 96-99
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Thank you Ranger Vrsca, for any assistance you might be able to give.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Nice intro vrsca. It was good of you to put a disclaimer that you gaurantee nothing. After all it is their injuries and you are not a Doctor or the Review board. I know the 800 phone number here in NYC is 1-800-827-1000. Is this the number for the entire country or are there different numbers by regions?

A message to the vets here on the board.
The amount of time it takes to process a claim has dropped dramatically. It used to be here in NYC up to 5 years. Yes. I hear now from Vets I talk with, that within 60 days of receipt by the V.A. of your claim - that the V.A. sends a letter acknowledging receipt of your claim. Some of my friends at the Brooklyn V.A. Have gotten some percentage within a few months. It is not unusual to hear a vet tell me his papers are in Indiana because NYC is overloaded with claims. I have been going to the V.A. since JUN 1970. If you feel yourself getting angry, do not I say again, do not go off on staff. You will be arrested. And don't go punching any walls either. You go outside and have a smoke or cool off. Channel your energy into a clear concise request for treatment.
Last edited by Steadfast on March 17th, 2004, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Once again Ranger Steadfast, you give great advice. You would think you've been around the block a time or two. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Thank you for all of your help and your time.
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Cat

Post by Cat »

Link to the VA

http://www.va.gov/
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Ranger vrsca,

Thanks for your 2ndary employment to the board :lol: I have limited information at my disposal but i have a couple contacts in the Indiana and Fed VA system i may be able to get some quickie answers from. I also went to the VA center today and got my disablility rating letter and a bunch of the shitter pamphlets (brochures) they have you reading before you see the councelor.

If i can help i will interject my source along with the info.
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Thank you, Ranger Camaro
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Thanks for the help, Bro!

RLTW
RSD 96-99
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Steadfast wrote:If you feel yourself getting angry, do not I say again, do not go off on staff. You will be arrested.
That is a NO SHITTER, there boys. One of my first visits to the VA was also one of the worst. I sat and argued with a Pakistani "doctor" for about half an hour until I finally got upset and walked out of his office. As I was leaving, I noticed a huge sign that was hanging on the wall in the waiting room; it was the 'Patient's Bill of Rights' according to the VA philosophy. I read the first three lines, flew into a rage and ripped the sign down off the wall. I marched my ass down the hall, back into the stunned foreigner's office, and proceeded to point out line by line why he was a fuck-up. I finished up, received a sincere apology from a very sweaty and distressed "doctor", left the sign for him to 'study' and exited his office. I was met on the way out by two security guards, who had heard of my antics, and didn't appear to appreciate the genius of my solution. Needless to say, I escaped without incident. I never saw that particular "doctor" again, except in passing; but by the look of recognition I'd have to say he remembers the "Bill of Rights" lesson well.

**The Saltbitch is making no endoresment of the tactics demonstrated in his own personal VA misadventures. Saltbitch assumes no responsability for anyone or their actions if they decide to stoop to this level with the V.A., or their staff. For entertainment purposes only.**
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I believe it was in 1998. I was liveing in Las Vagas. I had a headache, so I laid down to take a nap. When I awoke a couple of hours later, the left side of my head was screaming with pain. I reached and touched my ear, and felt a discharge. I went to the bathroom to take a peek. The whole side of my head was swollen and all sorts of gross shit was oozing out of my ear. I called my little bro. to take me to the V.A. clinic in Las Vegas, for I was dizzy when I walked.

Upon arrival, my bro. had to fill out the paperwork for me. As I was sitting there, I almost passed out several times. My brother was starting to get enraged. He went up the desk and told the woman that I was in dire need of emergency care. She shrugged and said that I would have to wait my turn. This wasn't good enough for my bro. He raised his BOOMING voice and told them that someone needed to check on me. A foreign doc came out and took one look at the side of my head, and said, I think, something along the lines of OH SHIT. It was hard to understand because of his accent. :roll: They rushed me back, and later it was determined that I had such a massive ear infection that it could have killed me if left unchecked for very much longer.

Be vocal, not disrespectful.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Or bring yer lil brother and let him be disrespectful :D
RSD 96-99

Return to “Post Service Issues”