Running Tips

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
SAWgunner4fun
Ranger

Post by SAWgunner4fun »

Jason Bourne wrote:You rangers know anyone that has ahsma or however you spell that word. Ahsma sucks, I have it. Any chance i still can become a ranger?(rofl, i dumb question, but really, is there?)
Flutter kicks, GO!

Are fuckin serious!? You come to us with this? What the fuck? Since when do we spell Ranger without the capital R?
Jason Bourne wrote:(rofl, i dumb question, but really, is there?)
What are you blabbering about? If you are having an asthma attack you need to call 911 not post your attempts to breath. :evil: :evil: :evil:
A-co 1/75 Oct 2002-Jul 2005
C-co 1/75 Jul 2005-Feb 2006
HHC 1/75 Feb 2006-Present
Ranger School Class 11-04

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall

-The Doors
SAWgunner4fun
Ranger

Post by SAWgunner4fun »

Jason Bourne wrote:Ranger SAWgunner4fun,

I am very sorry for typing Ranger with a "r" instead of an "R", my apologies Ranger. When I was writing that post I had a thought it my mind that the Rangers wouldn't like this, but I thought I would ask anyways, my apologies again Ranger SAWgunner4fun.
I have grown tired of doing things (and women) that I live to regret (i.e. sober up to regret) in light of this...Never PM me again!

In response to your question (with the vague hope that you'll straighten your strangly twisted ways) I'm not even sure that you can serve in the Army let alone come to Regiment. I might be wrong. It is not unheard of for a motivated individual to make it to Battalion with asthma. I know of one but he couldn't hang and got Med boarded out of the Army when his condition became obvious.

Hey! Why the fuck can you type properly in a PM and not on this board? Don't answer that. :evil: :evil:
A-co 1/75 Oct 2002-Jul 2005
C-co 1/75 Jul 2005-Feb 2006
HHC 1/75 Feb 2006-Present
Ranger School Class 11-04

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall

-The Doors
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Zaknafien wrote:Just caught up with this thread.

Theres alot of good advice in here. I know anyone can become a good runner, because I did. When I first joined the army I could barely run once around a high school track without nearly dying. Now I can run 10 miles, and do my 2-mile in a mean 12:00. All it takes is practice.

My routine has suffered from being in the field for most of the past three months, but here's what Im doing now that I'm back. I run outdoor tracks here at JRTC with rolling hills, and usually run around 1900-2000 when its slightly cooler, but that doesnt mean much since its still 90 degrees or more :roll: And yes, running in the heat sucks.

I do distance on Mondays, 5 miles at a 7 minute pace. On Wednesdays its intervals for speed, I do quarters and halves and jog inbetween. Fridays is a simple 2-mile course for speed. This is in addition to whatever morning PT we do, because you must run every day or at least every other day, at least for me. If I dont, my run suffers.

I hate running more than anything besides possibly our S-3 section.

As far as stretching, Its not that important before the run. your muscles are cold. After you run you should stretch as you cool down. But when it comes down to it, its whatever works for you.
Zak, do your PT runs include any long ones? Just wondering because you said your distance run is 5 miles.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Southern_Brit
Tadpole

Post by Southern_Brit »

As a keen runner I thought I'd chuck in my two pennies worth (worth a bit more than cents! :wink: )

Whatever your goals are - general fitness, the ability to run a distance in a specific time, a certain distance - the posters here were right in saying it's a case of getting out there and doing it.... hitting the road!

As a 14 year old (many moons ago), I always came near the back of the bunch when doing cross country in PE at school. I had a kind of asthma and would end up wheezing and short of breath, but decided that I wanted to change that and joined the cross country club. I struggled and kept struggling at the back until after 6 months I felt so much better, I was able to go on 3 mile training runs and keep up with the pack and come in feeling good and not need an inhaler. From there that was it, I was always out, eating up the road...when the next compulsory cross country run came around at school - I came 2nd (my running partner from the cross country club came 1st!) After a year or so the asthma had gone...I was fit and healthy! I then went on to do fun runs and half marathons, races and represented my college and my Regiment on many occasions. The point of all this is about getting out there, train and train... it does get easier!

Quick tips:-

- Do warm up stretches
- Definately cool down (walk for few hundred metres) and stretch
- Get your technique right - heel strikes first and then onto balls of feet (or risk fucking your knees up)
- Try to run on softer surfaces when possible (or again risk fucking those shins and knees up!)
- Take cod liver oil / Glucosamine sulphate (lubricate those joints, help connective tisue repair etc...)
- Keep hydrated (whatever the weather)
- Establish your breathing patterns... (this helped me so many times - especially 8 mile speed marches in full kit) - This helps you maintain a pace, to breathe regularly and comfortably and it can allow you to 'escape' by listening to the rhythm - keeps your mind away from pain!

There are lots more tips and bits of advice...I hope this can help someone.
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

I appreciate all of the information on running that this thread has given. I have read it numerous times.

One question, is it better for my knees and shins to run on a treadmill than on a dirt track or paved road?

I've had shin splints for a good bit of time now. I run around the Rose bowl which is a paved road. The pain also carries over to the track near my house. I ran on the treadmill yesterday and there was no pain.
Thanks

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Southern_Brit
Tadpole

Post by Southern_Brit »

Using a treadmill is alot better for you... it is flat and cushioned and alot more easier on the joints and if you have suffered with shin splints I recommend it...definatley for a period. The only negative side of treadmills is that you get used to a specific runing action / movement (if you use it over a long long period of time) - as you run within a 3 foot space. Running outdoors allows you to 'stretch' out and have more movement and is more natural... you also burn more calories running outsdoors.
But for your needs, go with the treadmill, if it eases up on any pain, it will help and allow you to still train...you can also use the heart monitor (if it has one) and you can run on inclines and so still push yourself.
Just remember that road running can't be escaped and shouldn't be forgotten....you still need to experience the weather, uneven surfaces etc...
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Thanks for the info Veteran Southern_Brit and Ranger Sobersides.

I'll be sure to get back on the road as soon as I feel 100%

I will also make sure and run some of the trails around my house to build up more strength.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
trgrhappyaj
Embryo

I haven't ran nearly enough

Post by trgrhappyaj »

I have done some, but I don't think nearly enough. The only things that will get me through the first 5 weeks is motivation, and my I wanted to be here and assist my team attitude.
Ship Date- Oct 24.
OSUT- Nov.4 Start Date
21st Birth Day- Feb.28(Last Week(or next to) of OSUT
BAT- Mar.

"Kill the goddamn children murdering terrorist bitches."

RIP DAD- 12-12-2004 I hope you see me graduate from your loft up there. *salute*
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Re: I haven't ran nearly enough

Post by rgrpuck »

trgrhappyaj wrote:I have done some, but I don't think nearly enough. The only things that will get me through the first 5 weeks is motivation, and my I wanted to be here and assist my team attitude.

Again ......STFU!!!

Your on an airsoft team ....arnt ya ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

I think you can only discover the true joy of running when you get your regular long runs out past the 8-10 mile range. That is doable for anyone without major biomechanical problems, as long as you build slowly, and alternate run days with something less damaging. I have raced marathon and beyond on very fragile legs on 3 runs a week and a lot of cycling.

If you're going to run for longer than 60 minutes, you should definitely take water with you, and if you're running for less than 20, don't bother, because it takes about 20 minutes for water to clear out of an empty stomach (ALWAYS pass the water stop at a 5K race!).

When I run for longer than 80 minutes, I always take chow. If it's in the 80-180 minute range, sugar alone will do the trick. I use gel a lot, but the poster above who mentioned honey was right on. I had a buddy who did a 100 miler on a quarter-mile track, and all he took was a sugar cube every lap!

Lately, I've been drinking a diluted solution of Gatorade on my long (2.5-3 hour) runs instead of gel and have found it to be as effective.

If you're going ultralong, I recommend taking in protein and fat, as well. When I race or train really long (4 hours plus) I like peanut butter and jelly wrapped in flour tortillas. Fat, protein, carbs, and electrolytes all in one tasty package!

The ultimate ultra fuel, though, is the caffeine-sugar bomb. Nothing does it like Coca-Cola (although, in my last ultra-effort, I took cold coffee and a Snicker's bar at hour 12, and that did the trick!). Once you grab that tiger by the tail, however, you have to hold on. The jolt seems to last for 30-45 minutes before you crash HARD if you don't get another hit, so save it for late in your effort!
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79

Return to “About Army Physical Training”