Questions About My Options

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

ShotUp
Soldier

Questions About My Options

Post by ShotUp »

As usual, I'm not positive this topic will fit in here, but I'm hoping that it will. I'm hoping that any RANGER or other member of this site can in some way help me.

As some of you know, I went to Iraq for OIF III, and was hit in the foot by some shrapnel from a RPG in the second week of February of this year. I came back to Walter Reed where I stayed until July. As of now I am currently in a program called CBHCO (Community Based HealthCare Organization). What this program does is a doctor-to-doctor transfer, so you can return home and recieve care, while working in a National Guard/Reserve Armory. I've been working hard, and my healing process is doing very well, I'm still about 90% as all of the nerve damage in my foot has made the outside of my right foot very sensitive, making it hard to make quick movements sometimes.

I thought all was well, and I would be able to return to my Infantry unit... until today. I have to make a weekly call to my CBHCO Case Manager, the person who reviews my appointments and my progress. He says that with my current condition that they may, in the end, try to make me switch my MOS. As a reminder, I still have the option (or so I think) to get out of the military. I mean no disrespect to any other MOS, but compared to the Infantry I find everything else very boring. I like what I do, and I pretty much refuse to change my MOS. I've told my Case Manager this, and this is where my question comes into play. I told him that if push comes to shove, if they ask me to change my MOS that I would in the end say that I just wanted to get out. I know this may seem kind of childish but as I stated before I love what I do, and do not want to switch. My Case Manager did not know if I could still get out like that, since I do still have two and a half years left in my obligation.

If anyone has any information on this, I would really appreciate the help. This may not make good enough sense to give you a good understanding, and if you'd like a more in depth explanation I would be happy to PM you on this subject. I appreciate any help sent my way.

ShotUp
02-08 1/128 INF BN
Livalitle
Inprocessing

Post by Livalitle »

If your still looking for help, drop me a pm.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
RLTW

1/75 Ranger Batt.
A Co. 2nd Platoon
WS/S-5
04-05

Return to “Post Service Issues”