Rangers .... what influenced you to join ?

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Whiling away the last days here before retiring, I stumbled across this thread.

Back, waaayy back, when Ranger Jim and I were in the Army and they still talked about doughboys, MacArthur, and Ike, there was no 75th Reg't. or the BNs.

I was so PO'd about not getting in the Marines I was determined to prove I could do anything. Went into SF, then heard about RS. The S1 kept saying oh yeah everyone would like to wear a tab and there are only so many slots we can fill but you know, Lefty, YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY DO THAT!!! Wrong thing to tell me, I have nearly killed my self doing things people said I couldn't.

Finally called DA direct and said send me to VN with RS enroute. The O4 on the phone said Really? Well, if you want to........

1st day at RS ran facefirst into then SFC Voyles - Bad Day at Black Rock.
Instructors kept saying You Can't Possibly Do (fill in the blank) so I kept doing it just to show them (and myself)

Best thing I ever did. Period.

That little piece of embroidered cloth has more blood sweat and tears in it than anything else, plus a whole lot of pride of accomplishment.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Reconcop
USMC Force Recon

Post by Reconcop »

Ha! Everyone I know is asking me this very question. Why in the hell do you want to go back. I dont have an answer. I just need to. I belong on the other side. I guess a big part of it for me is unfinished business. I need to get in the game. I practiced a whole lot of four years, but never played.

Someone else said; "I want to be part of something awesome". This art of it as well. Being a cop is cool, but not what you think. The Marine Corps is an excellent way to start a military carreer, or to have one for that matter. But for me the oppurtunities are so much greater in the Army.

Besides all that my Grandfather was an Army Medic who landed on the beaches of Nomandy. We believe he was in the 6th wave, and lived to talk about it. So continuing a tradition is awesome in itself.

It is just something that is within my heart and soul. I try to live my life with as few regrets as possible. If I dont do this now I WILL regret it for the rest of my life.
If you dont live fore something you die for nothing.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Reconcop wrote:Ha! Everyone I know is asking me this very question. Why in the hell do you want to go back. I dont have an answer. I just need to. I belong on the other side. I guess a big part of it for me is unfinished business. I need to get in the game. I practiced a whole lot of four years, but never played.

Someone else said; "I want to be part of something awesome". This art of it as well. Being a cop is cool, but not what you think. The Marine Corps is an excellent way to start a military carreer, or to have one for that matter. But for me the oppurtunities are so much greater in the Army.

Besides all that my Grandfather was an Army Medic who landed on the beaches of Nomandy. We believe he was in the 6th wave, and lived to talk about it. So continuing a tradition is awesome in itself.

It is just something that is within my heart and soul. I try to live my life with as few regrets as possible. If I dont do this now I WILL regret it for the rest of my life.
Do you mind waiting until you become a Ranger before you jump into these threads?

Just a small detail.

Fuckwit.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Reconcop wrote:If you dont live fore something you die for nothing..
You ought to correct your signature. Spellcheck is your friend. Ranger KH and Ranger Jim are not. STFU.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Jim wrote:
Reconcop wrote:If you dont live fore something you die for nothing..
You ought to correct your signature. Spellcheck is your friend. Ranger KH and Ranger Jim are not. STFU.
Big Al', the Ranger Pal.....

:lol:

Return to “About RASP”