One week left at SOPC

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
SF Flyer
Ranger

Post by SF Flyer »

This has been a great thread, and I'm very impressed. Congratulations on your successes, and keep us posted. I'd appreciate it if you'd answer a couple of questions about today's Q process. My cousin's son has come to me recently seeking advice about whether to Opt 40 or 18X. He's way more stud than I was at his age, and no matter how many times I talk about flying, he comes back with "Well, you went SOF ground first, right?". How can I argue with that logic? :twisted: . I'm going to leave this in the forum, because there might be others with the same questions.

Just like everything does, the Q sure has changed over time. These questions are all about your classmates and the process of selection and training to become an SF soldier.
1. What do you think of your current classmates?
3. Are the guys to your left and right as good as you expected?
2. Do you think the selection processes you've gone through (from SOPC on...) have been effective?

Thanks,

Changes I've noted:
We tdy'd to selection
Selection navigation was more like orienteering, we were encouraged to use the roads... :shock:
No SF babies. (SFAS in 90, Q started Jan91)
PH2 first, was all academics for the MOS (18B for me)
PH1-3 next, including Robin Sage for one hell of a long trip out to Mackall
Star exam was still a bitch, with only 2 chances and just a couple of days of preparatory training
Language school was last, from 4-6 months
No SERE in the Q, you had to try to get it when you got to Group
C-2/75 April87--Jan90 RGR Class 11-88
Huckleberry Creek Instructor
18B SFQC 91, then 3/1SFG(A) through Apr95
Ch-47D, C-12 Pilot, Retired 2008.
Contracting, ISR Pilot.
Now I'm a Boeing Manufacturing Manager.
Medeski
Paratrooper

Post by Medeski »

I'm gonna go ahead and answer your questions by the numbers, here goes.

1. What do you think of your current classmates?

Because of the Q-Course, I have met my closest friends in the Army. Right off the bat during SFAS they let you know that a lot of what they're looking for has to do with your ability to work well with others. Granted, there are still some turds who slip through the cracks of SFAS, but they have generally been weeded out during other portions of the course (i.e. Phase II). As far as my student team, I place complete trust in their abilities and I know they hold the same trust in me. There will always be, however, the guy that you just can't seem to get along with anywhere you go. But, everyone that I've worked with has been able keep their relationship on a professional level and get the job done. Nothing says you have to go out and grab a beer with EVERYONE when its all said and done.

2. Are the guys to your left and right as good as you expected?

Everyone on MY team is as good as and beyond what I have come to expect from the course. But again, I have seen some people make it through who I believe simply didn't cut it. They give us the opportunity to let the cadre know when this occurs, but sometimes those above us see something in those guys that I guess we all missed and let them through anyway. Overall, I am very comfortable with the level of competance among the students I've gone through with, including my own.

3. Do you think the selection processes you've gone through (from SOPC on...) have been effective?

Every single course that I've been through from the very beginning has had something valuable to learn from it. With SOPC, there was the initial weeding out process and then incredibly valuable land navigation, team building exercises, and becoming more familiar with how to use and treat our equipment.

Selection made me see that no matter how much I want to be the lone badass, its just not possible. There was a portion of Selection that was quite possibly the most effective team-building I have ever been apart of, and it made you realize a whole lot about yourself and your physical and mental capabilities.

SOPC II was nothing more than a suckfest that prepared you for Phase II. We patrolled our asses off, shivered, in the woods in February, experienced our first real food/sleep dep, and learned most of the skills we would need for Phase II.

PLDC/BCNOC was almost a break. While we did learn quite a lot about how big Army works and what would be expected of us as NCOs if we make it through, the biggest thing I got out of it was becoming a physical specimen. Ball-smoking PT twice a day will whip you right into shape and fast :)

Phase II was when I first became acquainted with my student team. It was rocky at first, but we all seemed to gel after we learned to deal with some weak links. The skills learned and practiced during SOPC II were used intensely here and you learned what it means to suck again.

Phase III, which I just finished brought me back to a fairly relaxed environment where the only focus is to learn your specific job. And learn it I did. Going into the 18E (commo) course I knew jack crap about military radios beyond those damned boat anchor 119s you get to lug around in Phase II. Now, I'm capable of talking anywhere in the world over Satcom or making 1000 mile + HF shots.

Whew...

As for your cousin's son. The only regret I have in this whole thing is that I am 19 years old and have no prior experience with a regular unit. No combat. Nada. I almost feel guilty about it to be quite honest. When I first went to the recruiter I told him I wanted an 11B Opt 40 contract but I, of course, was told there were none available. They were quick to throw the 18X contract in my face in an effort to just get me into the damned Army. I took it blindly not having any sort of a clue as to what I was getting myself into. I've been lucky, damned lucky. There is still a little part in me that wants to be in Bat getting experience as a soldier as opposed to as a student.

Ask him what he wants to do. Does he want to go to school for 1 1/2 years + and then get his or actually get into the fight with some bad mother fuckers?

As for me, the course I chose is working out well, and I'm sure -- God willing -- I'll love being on a team.
Medeski
Paratrooper

Post by Medeski »

Got back from Phase IV (Robin Sage) on Halloween. Language school starts next monday. I still don't know what language I've been assigned. Hopefully they let us know soon though.
Choose it for me

Post by Choose it for me »

GOOD LUCK Medeski!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Just read the entire thread. Well done!!! Good luck with language school.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
chadrob30
US Army Veteran

Post by chadrob30 »

Great thread!!! Can you give us any details on Robin Sage? Keep up the good work. At only 19, you're 5 times the stud I was when I was 30, lol...good luck, and keep the SITREPS coming...
Basic-Ft. Benning GA A Co 2/54 INF Jan. '92
D Co 3/5 CAV Kirch Gons Germany 92-94
C Bat 1-190 FA MTNG 94-1998
HHC 1-13 AR Ft. Riley KS 1999-2001
11B, 11M, 13B, 77F
Medeski
Paratrooper

Post by Medeski »

I finally got my language and group assignment today. Upon completion of 6 months of learning Modern Standard Arabic, testing out of the language successfully, and getting through SERE school in June of next year I'll be headed to 5th SFG(A). I got lucky, receiving the language and the group I put first on my wishlist. A lot of my buddies got stuff they didn't even have on their list. But, I'm sure they'll come to realize any group is a good group and they'll like where they're at regardless.
Choose it for me

Post by Choose it for me »

Paratrooper Medeski,

Would you know how my prospects would be. I am fluent (native) in Russian. Would I still have to go to the language school, or could I save six months? Would I have more choice in picking my Group? I'd wanto go the one in Europe, 10th or 3rd I think, because I know Russian well and thats were I could put it to the best use. But I'd also want to go to one that has a Mid-Eastern AO. Thanks, any help you could give me would be great.

Choose
Medeski
Paratrooper

Post by Medeski »

Choose,

Since you are fluent in Russian you would be allowed to skip the language portion of the course providing you tested out of it, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem. Also, since you would be testing out of Russian you would almost definately (i say almost because nothing's ever certain around here) go to 10th group which operates in Europe. About the middle eastern AO, it doesn't really matter at this point, every single group has sent teams to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq and it will probably be that way for a while. Ideally, it should just be 5th group operating in the middle east, but due to manpower it's just not possible.
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Medeski, Sounds like you've done a whole bunch of growing up in a short amount of time! Good Luck!
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I found Arabic to be really difficult to read and write. You have yur work cut out for you. Don't quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SOPC TAC
Egg

Talk about what you know!!!

Post by SOPC TAC »

Since you are fluent in Russian you would be allowed to skip the language portion of the course providing you tested out of it, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem. Also, since you would be testing out of Russian you would almost definately (i say almost because nothing's ever certain around here) go to 10th group which operates in Europe. About the middle eastern AO, it doesn't really matter at this point, every single group has sent teams to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq and it will probably be that way for a while. Ideally, it should just be 5th group operating in the middle east, but due to manpower it's just not possible.
Medeski, you have done well. Now you need to keep your mouth shut on matters that you know nothing about. OP-TEMPO of the teams, who should be fighting where! You aren't even a cherry on a team yet. Stick to talking about the course since Basic, Abn and the Q are your only areas in which you have experience.
For those wondering, I was one of young Medeski's SOPC TACs (Instructors).
Choose, If you have skills in Russian you can expect 10th or 5th Grp. I came out of 10th. Only you can decide if you want this lifestyle, go for it.
OIF 10thSFG
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Talk about what you know!!!

Post by Steadfast »

SOPC TAC wrote:Since you are fluent in Russian you would be allowed to skip the language portion of the course providing you tested out of it, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem. Also, since you would be testing out of Russian you would almost definately (i say almost because nothing's ever certain around here) go to 10th group which operates in Europe. About the middle eastern AO, it doesn't really matter at this point, every single group has sent teams to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq and it will probably be that way for a while. Ideally, it should just be 5th group operating in the middle east, but due to manpower it's just not possible.

Medeski, you have done well. Now you need to keep your mouth shut on matters that you know nothing about. OP-TEMPO of the teams, who should be fighting where! You aren't even a cherry on a team yet. Stick to talking about the course since Basic, Abn and the Q are your only areas in which you have experience.
Choose, If you have skills in Russian you can expect 10th or 5th Grp. I came out of 10th. Only you can decide if you want this lifestyle, go for it.
SOPC TAC
Go to the introduction forum and post an intro - it is customary on this site, and is is a good idea to read FAQ's.

intro > http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=26

FAQ's > http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1842

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Medeski
Paratrooper

Re: Talk about what you know!!!

Post by Medeski »

Roger that, SOPC TAC. Definately stepped over the line there. Shutting up now. Language school's going well, however -- kind of monotonous but I'm knocking it out.
Medeski
Paratrooper

Post by Medeski »

I passed the DLPT in May and quickly headed out to SERE school. I just returned yesterday with mission accomplished and with a wealth of new knowledge and interests. All I'll say about SERE is that I will never look at the flag the same way again. I am graduating from the course on thursday. I'm done, it's over. But it's only just beginning (cheeeesey).

Medeski

Return to “Letters from School”