Running Tips

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Running Tips

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I've noticed that a lot of deps think they are pt studs because they can do 1000 pu's in 2 hours :roll: ; but, nobody really says anything about running. When I was in, my pt test was about like this: 100 pu's, 85 su's, and 12:30 2-miles. As hard as I tried, my su's and run time never got any better. I've always thought running was the hardest event. Not running 2 miles, but running in general. So, I thought I'd share my running tricks.

Here's what I do now that I'm a fat, old, broken civilian. I created a running course that is a 1.75 mile loop around my neighborhood. I know I need to run 2 miles, so I have to pass my starting point (my house) again to finish. And once I pass my house, there is no turning around, so I have to go around again. And, if I have enough in me to pass my house again, then it's around another time. Eventually, it's time to go inside and get ready for work.

I hate running, so I have to use simple tricks to keep my ass going. I run early in the morning, when it's dark. I listen to the night sounds, and watch the stars, and anything else that distracts me from feeling like I'm about to fucking die. I forget about the pain, and loose track of time, and before I know it, I've run farther and longer than before.

I used to do the same shit in the Army. If I was running on my own time, I would run the SGM Academy trail, or up Trans-mountain Pass. Those were roads that if you ran out, you really ran out, and had to get back somehow, so why not run back?

I'd like to see what others here have to say about running. I think it's the most important thing you can do as a human, and as a soldier.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BullishTrooper
US Army Veteran

Post by BullishTrooper »

I lift 3 days and run 3 days. Tues I run 3 mi. I'm not in the shape I was when I was in the Army so I run at about 8:15 -8:30 min/mi. Thurs I either do a short fast run or I do intervals (kinda like the indian runs we used to do). Sat I do a long slow run usually 5 mi or so. I also run early in the morning and listen to my headphones to keep my mind off the pain of running.

I HATE running but do it so I can somewhat stay in shape.
"Some people dream of success...While others wake up and work hard at it."

HHC(Scouts) 2/505 PIR May89- Oct 90
B Co. 2/505 PIR Oct 90- Dec 91
A Co.(CINCG) 3rd US Infantry (TOG) Dec 91-Nov 93
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

BullishTrooper wrote:I lift 3 days and run 3 days. Tues I run 3 mi. I'm not in the shape I was when I was in the Army so I run at about 8:15 -8:30 min/mi. Thurs I either do a short fast run or I do intervals (kinda like the indian runs we used to do). Sat I do a long slow run usually 5 mi or so. I also run early in the morning and listen to my headphones to keep my mind off the pain of running.

I HATE running but do it so I can somewhat stay in shape.
I only Run when Ranger Spartan gets drunk and starts popping off rounds out hi bedroom windows. :lol:
It's all good.
DT
Tadpole

Post by DT »

Veteran ANGRYCivilian, I also hate running, so I do the same thing you do, run at night when it's cool.

But what do you suggest for running in the day time when it's 95 degrees outside? We went on a run today and by the time I finished (I admit I struggled hard) I felt like I was about to kiel over. And it was only a two mile run. That would have been no problem under normal circumstances.

Do you (or any of the Rangers) have any tricks for running in the heat?
Bell

Post by Bell »

DT wrote:Veteran ANGRYCivilian, I also hate running, so I do the same thing you do, run at night when it's cool.

But what do you suggest for running in the day time when it's 95 degrees outside? We went on a run today and by the time I finished (I admit I struggled hard) I felt like I was about to kiel over. And it was only a two mile run. That would have been no problem under normal circumstances.

Do you (or any of the Rangers) have any tricks for running in the heat?
Practice running in the heat. It's called acclimitating. You will get used to it if you practice. Running at night won't help. The heat will kick yer ass. Run in the sun and the heat. Don't forget to hydrate. A lot!!!

RLTW
Bell
DT
Tadpole

Post by DT »

Thank you Rangers Bell and Tenn-RGR.

Do you suggest drinking any water before the run. If you can get a hold to any?
Bell

Post by Bell »

DT wrote:Thank you Rangers Bell and Tenn-RGR.

Do you suggest drinking any water before the run. If you can get a hold to any?
Just get out there and practice. Drink water. You'll figure it out.

RLTW
Bell
mikelogics
Tadpole

Post by mikelogics »

My tips

- Don't look down when running uphill. Keep your head high. Imagine a rope tied to your chest, and the other end tied to a car.

- Strive to overtake the next guy in front of you. On that note, its better to overtake when the other guy's weak. Like when going uphill where he's in no condition to maintain a lead. If you try to overtake downhill, you're in for a race leaving both of you tired.

- When turning corners, make a wide arc. That means making more steps, but at least you won't be making any of that braking action when you cut corners squarely. The braking action can kill your momentum, and sap your strength.

- Finish strong. Sprint the last half kilometer
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

SFOC Class 77-94
Tm Ldr, SF Tm 1302 95-96
CO, 12th SF Co. SFR(A) SOCOM PA 97-99
CO, 66th Infantry Battalion 10th Infantry Divison, Philippine Army (current)
DT
Tadpole

Post by DT »

Thank you Ranger Bell, Ranger Tenn-RGR, and SF mikelogics. I really appreciate it.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

mikelogics wrote:My tips

- Don't look down when running uphill. Keep your head high. Imagine a rope tied to your chest, and the other end tied to a car.

- Strive to overtake the next guy in front of you. On that note, its better to overtake when the other guy's weak. Like when going uphill where he's in no condition to maintain a lead. If you try to overtake downhill, you're in for a race leaving both of you tired.

- When turning corners, make a wide arc. That means making more steps, but at least you won't be making any of that braking action when you cut corners squarely. The braking action can kill your momentum, and sap your strength.

- Finish strong. Sprint the last half kilometer
This is the exact same advice mikelogics gave to Lance Armstrong right before winning his 6th Tour de F***** last year!!!
Kwith
Tadpole

Post by Kwith »

I am a Cross-Country runner and have come across a lot of tricks and tips that have helped me. I have performed the best when I eat a lot of carbs the day before and drink some water or gatoraid an hour or so before my run. I have an intense training schedule too that my coach had drawn up, and although the season is over I kept it and still follow it. What I like to do is have an objective for each run. For example, this Friday I'm doing a 7 mile run at a local state park - very wooded rough terrain - and the objective set for the run is to run the up hills as hard as I can. I also assign each run a number from a 1-5 scale. The run for Friday is a 4. Meaning I am going to run it hard, but not as hard as a 5. I alter terrain from the track, to the streets, to the wooded areas. I also run with my friend who is also a Cross-Country athlete and we push each other to go harder which helps a lot as well. mikelogics' advice sounds dead on... I do those exact things in a race. Also, I've found that the hard runs are the ones that really build your endurance. I run 6 days a week and two of them are long runs that I run very competitively. I've run using this knowledge for a year and a half now and my 3.1 mile race time is 16:59 (was my best time so far in official competition).
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Running in the hot ass sun sucks. I had a weird shift in SWA that was 24 on/24 off. I never could go to sleep once my shift was over, so I started running. It was like 150 degrees in the middle of the day. After a few weeks of this, I could run in the heat and sun just like if it was nice and cool out.

I think hydrating the day or night before running is best. I've tried to drink enough water just before running and always ended up puking halfway through the run, or cramping up. I do take a good swig of water just before leaving the house. It's more of a psychological effect, my mouth does not dry up and I feel better.

I also always keep my head up, as was mentioned by PI SF Mikelogics. I'm not sure what it does, but I can just run better and longer.

Ranger Tenn-RGR, I was looking at Fortrex for that very reason. Thanks for mentioning it.

The cooldown is very important. If you don't do it, you'll have fucked up shin-splints like me. I try to walk about a mile after the run; but, most of the time I've run out of time and have to haul ass back to the house so I'm not late for work.

Thanks for the input Rangers/Vets/Others.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Hydrating when I am RWHT (running while high temperature) has always been a problem for me. Seems if I drink TOO much(gallon or more) straight water over a relativly short time frame, I sometimes have trouble keeping it down. For me, I have found a mixture of something like half water/half Gatorade works best for me. I have also tried adding a few drops of sqweezed fresh lemon(no sugar!) to the plain water with good results. The important thing like already stated 1,000 times here, is keep well hydrated and well.....just do it.
Kwith
Tadpole

Post by Kwith »

Yes the cool down is important for preventing injury, as well as the warm up. Need to get those muscles nice and warm before you stretch them. Otherwise stretching does not do much for you. I've also found drinking right before a run makes you want to puke it all up. I learned that the hard way when I started running and drank some orange juice in the morning before I went out... learned my lesson the hard way. :oops:
DT
Tadpole

Post by DT »

Kwith, The same thing happened to me. The very first time I went running, I ate a bowl of cereal right before the run. :shock: You can guess what happened. I didn't get far on that run at all. When I came back inside my dad started laughing and told me "let that be a lesson for you." (He knew what happened because he sat and watched me eat that damn bowl of cereal and then tell him I was going to go running).

I've always stretched before and after a run. But when I first start the run my legs still feel "cold" for the first few minutes of the run. Is that common or do I need to be stretching more?

I usually stretch about 5-10 minutes holding each stretch for 10 counts.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”