Go Ranger or WOCS

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Green
Embryo

Go Ranger or WOCS

Post by Green »

Rangers,

Im seeking advice here. I've applied to WOCS to be a helicopter pilot, and im awaiting the selection board, May 4-6th. Im 20 years old and I know if im selected I have the ability to overcome any challenges in WOCS/WOFT and become a successful pilot. There are other things I have been contemplating though, my father went enlisted/SF/Ranger tab/WOCS and is a pilot in the 160th now. Ever since i was big enough to walk I have wanted to be a soldier and earn a Ranger tab. Im really considering going enlisted with an option 40 contract and getting that tab and finishing my 4 year degree while on active duty. I figure by then I will know if I want to stay enlisted, apply to OCS, or apply to WOCS again. My backup plan if i don't get selected to goto WOCS is just that, BUT if I do get selected I know it is a grand opportunity especially at my age to become a pilot. The pay is also a big incentive too. I just don't know if i should not take that opportunity and go enlisted first and earn my Ranger tab or go WOCS if im selected. Any advice you Rangers have is much appreciated.
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The fact that your choice is even a choice means you should go to WOCS.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

WOCS...The Fying BlackHawks need you.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

If you get Selected to attend WOCS and then receive a slot for Flight School, then I would recommend you do it. I have a very dear friend who went from Battalion to flying some pretty cool stuff and he loves it. He says that he feels like this is the best thing job wise that he could ever have wished for. If your old man really is a Nightstalker then you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting some good recommendations.
Green
Embryo

Post by Green »

Ranger Matador,

Yea, my packets been built and i have had my interview and its been sent to USAREC. I have known a few of the guys i got letters from since i was 10 when my dad went through flight school. So i got all my letters from 160th pilots that really do know me. That would be my ultimate goal in aviation, to fly for them. Althought i scored really well on all my required tests, i just don't feel as thought im earning the right to fly. But i think im going to go ahead and goto WOCS if selected, and if im fully qualified non-select 2 months in a row i'll enlist with an option 40 contract and see where that leads me in my career.
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I would advise you to drop this cavalier attitude toward the Opt-40.
It's not simply a likeable alternative.
You casually want to see where it takes you in your career?
It will bounce your enlisted ass straight to a fucking world-wide assignment, that's where it'll take you.If you take this sort of a tourist mentality you will waste a slot that would better go to some young DEP who has taken time to research this site and then eats, sleeps and breathes Ranger until he by Christ gets it.
Two months is all you give your dream?
Hell...we've had DEPs here that have held out up to a fucking year just to get an Opt-40, and it wasn't just to see where it would lead...they knew exactly where the fuck it would lead.
If you're gonna drop in here for advice and then come across as though our chosen profession is nothing more than an attractive side-line then you won't be worth shit either as a pilot or a Ranger.
And don't fucking "yeah" anyone here, it's bad form and bearing.
Yeah is what you say to your fucking recruiter you when settle for whatever the fuck he gives you.
Like an Opt-40...("Oh, yeah...that'll do Sarge, after all WOCS had their chance, let's see where Ranger takes me).
We are not here to recruit you to the Rangers, we're here to help you.
Go WOCS and fly whirly-birds...you are not commited enough to ride them.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Green
Embryo

Post by Green »

Ranger Kilted Heathen,

I respect everything you said and your Ranger mentality, but I know without a doubt IF I go the Ranger way I will earn my scroll and then tab. By then I will also be highly disciplined and maybe I will have that Ranger mentality also, but there are some people in the Army who go on to other schools/professions after earning there tab or get the tab and get out of Batt. because they don't have that Ranger personality, but do have what it takes to Earn the scroll and tab. That is what my father did and he reiderates to me, "You have to WANT to be in a Ranger Batt." But if your not a slug and don't quit, you can drive on and earn your tab and go on to be a better overall soldier.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I agree with Kilted on this one. The reason I am recommending you to go give WOCS a shot is because you do not appear to have a mindset that is conducive to Rangering. You would more than likely get torn up for a while and then decide against the whole thing. Go to WOCS and don't talk about Option40 contracts anymore. You will do yourself a whole lot of good if you just focus on one thing and know why you are doing it, rathe than what you "could" do if it doesn't work out.

The 75th Ranger Regiment isn't a second choice place, it is a place where exceptional motivation created exceptional individuals that are referred to as "Rangers". That place breeds and molds more modern day Warriors than any other unit in the US Military. Just think about that for a second before you come on here talking about it in that manner. No response required. Think about that too.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Green wrote:Ranger Kilted Heathen,

I respect everything you said and your Ranger mentality, but I know without a doubt IF I go the Ranger way I will earn my scroll and then tab. By then I will also be highly disciplined and maybe I will have that Ranger mentality also, but there are some people in the Army who go on to other schools/professions after earning there tab or get the tab and get out of Batt. because they don't have that Ranger personality, but do have what it takes to Earn the scroll and tab. That is what my father did and he reiderates to me, "You have to WANT to be in a Ranger Batt." But if your not a slug and don't quit, you can drive on and earn your tab and go on to be a better overall soldier.
You come for advice and end up lecturing?
Go back and sit on daddys' knee and listen to more stories from your "Uncles".
You'll not fucking qualified for an opinion on Jack Shit.
Remember this fuckhead, daddy's coat-tails won't fucking carry you anywhere.
If you'll shut your fucking mouth and research these fucking threads you will realise that.
Now then....

Shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

There have been several Rangers (who I can think of) who went on to flying choppers. Follow your gut.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

my father went enlisted/SF/Ranger tab/WOCS and is a pilot in the 160th now
Send me your last name in a PM.

I have to agree with everyone else. go ahead and do some flying. grow up some and if you are mature enough, assess.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

as a Batt Boy turned pilot I agree with the others. you may be an ok kid, but your tone here doesn't speak well for becoming a Ranger or a TF pilot. You sound like you need to mature some before you succeed at either. the up side is, flight school and unit time as a pilot might give you the time you need to mature enough to succeed at assessment. go look at the guys in green Platoon. see what one of their days is like. Piloting is mostly mental stress, Rangering is definately more physical and mental stress. I don't think you truly understand what either entails.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Recruitment Process”