Changes in the SFQC

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

4-6 months of language, then Sage? We'll see how this works out...

It sounds like one of those things that brief well. I don't know whose filling the heads of USJFKSWC with this language importance.

There is 6 months of my life I would like back!
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
18Z5V
Triple Canopy

Post by 18Z5V »

That's a pretty ambitious plan. What is SWC going to do? Mass produce SERE and PGHD classes and expand RTL?
RS 12-93
SFAS 06-01
SFQC 04-01

Post by Guest »

18C4V wrote:That's a pretty ambitious plan. What is SWC going to do? Mass produce SERE and PGHD classes and expand RTL?
Expand the RTL?? :twisted:

That's one way to weed people out! I volunteer to be a guest interrogator! :twisted:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

You need to volunteer an account and an introduction, high speed :evil:
RSD 96-99
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

:oops: :oops:

Uh...that was me!

Clicked on the link from the email announcment... must not have logged on.

knockin' em out Vee; must be smarter than the equipment I work with.
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Anonymous wrote:
18C4V wrote:That's a pretty ambitious plan. What is SWC going to do? Mass produce SERE and PGHD classes and expand RTL?
Expand the RTL?? :twisted:

That's one way to weed people out! I volunteer to be a guest interrogator! :twisted:

I would make an excellent "GUEST SLAPPER" myself! :roll:
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Psywar1-0

Post by Psywar1-0 »

Im all for the better language requirements.

Im a grad of the PRARNG Intensive Spanish Course and the DLI Brasilian Portugese course, and was able to remember enough French from HS and College to get a 1/1 on that DLPT. I was not impressed with the language skills of the folks that SWC sent to me in the late 90s.

Ive worked with a couple ODA's in the last 6 months that were about half and half FOG's and SF Babies. The Babies needed help ordering food, in an easy language like Spanish. I shudder to think about the skills that folks are leaving the school house with for MSA or Urdu.
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

Psywar1-0 wrote:Im all for the better language requirements.

Im a grad of the PRARNG Intensive Spanish Course and the DLI Brasilian Portugese course, and was able to remember enough French from HS and College to get a 1/1 on that DLPT. I was not impressed with the language skills of the folks that SWC sent to me in the late 90s.

Ive worked with a couple ODA's in the last 6 months that were about half and half FOG's and SF Babies. The Babies needed help ordering food, in an easy language like Spanish. I shudder to think about the skills that folks are leaving the school house with for MSA or Urdu.
The SOLT language course is not comprehensive. Language as it stands in SF operations is for rapport building. Emphasis is placed on warfighting skills above language.

Your a team sergeant. Pick between an 18C who has a 3+3+ in arabic and knows fuckall about charges, breaching, or basic carpentry; and an 18C with a 0+0+ that has mastered field expedient and improvised explosives and can build your ops room.
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

Psywar1-0

Post by Psywar1-0 »

Smiddy wrote: The SOLT language course is not comprehensive. Language as it stands in SF operations is for rapport building. Emphasis is placed on warfighting skills above language.

Your a team sergeant. Pick between an 18C who has a 3+3+ in arabic and knows fuckall about charges, breaching, or basic carpentry; and an 18C with a 0+0+ that has mastered field expedient and improvised explosives and can build your ops room.
All depends on the mission. For a DA mission Id pick the guy who was good with the Boom Boom clay. If its a FID mission teaching basic tng to a bunch of Haji's, Id want the guy who knows the difference between "keep you finger off the trigger while IMTing" and "Thanks, but Butt Sex between joes is not acceptable in my Army"
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Psywar1-0 wrote:
Smiddy wrote: The SOLT language course is not comprehensive. Language as it stands in SF operations is for rapport building. Emphasis is placed on warfighting skills above language.

All depends on the mission. For a DA mission Id pick the guy who was good with the Boom Boom clay. If its a FID mission teaching basic tng to a bunch of Haji's, Id want the guy who knows the difference between "keep you finger off the trigger while IMTing" and "Thanks, but Butt Sex between joes is not acceptable in my Army"
What ever happened to good old punching and kicking?
A few well aimed tolchocks and kicky wicks droogies...that'll show 'em.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

Alright for fucksake!

I'm not saying language skills should not be improved. I'm saying it's not number one friggin priority. I was responding to the slighted comment on the lack of language knowledge.

Leatherneck, that is a mature and well thought out comment, and I agree with you. The reality is different. I try to take time and keep up my Russian, but Arabic is the language of the land. The priority is for a basic conversation to win rapport. It is irrealistic to think you'll have the skill to conduct interrogations and teach intensive tactics with SOLT knowledge.

Psywar, no disrespect intended, but what the fuck are you talking about? FID, DA, SR, SO are core SF missions that are conducted at the same time or from mission to mission. You don't pick someone on what mission you'll do the next deployment. If it's FID I'm supposed to want the guy with better language over the guy with better MOS skills? Never! Better MOS skills make him a better teacher; not better language skills. We'll be using Titan just like everyone else.

I speak with ground truth. And once more current ground truth. That being said, I'm for better language skills, but don't slight a guy because his language skills suck after the improved course. Hold him to the standard, but a 1, 1 is still not doing shit without an interpreter.

Leatherneck, I look forward to seeing you on the force, brother. Your first impression will be made by PT and MOS skill. Good Luck!

Psywar, if I came down hard it's because I'm assuming you are not 18 series and I found your rationale odd and offbase.

D.O.L. & R.L.T.W.

RS
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

Return to “Special Operations Training”