Leaving the snow

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Everett Ruess
Ranger

Leaving the snow

Post by Everett Ruess »

Well, I couldn't take it anymore - I had to get away from the snow for a little while. Took my two boys and a friend and his son down to Canyonlands NP in southern Utah. God's country. 8)

Oldest (Peter) on my right, Andrew on my left

Me and Pete

Me, Andrew and Lucas (Bob's son)

Me and Andrew

Me many hundreds of feet off the desert floor under an arch known as "Paul Bunyon's potty". It's a climb, but you can get up to this ledge directly under the arch that has half a dozen Indian dwellings

Me and the boys

Bob and Lucas in Arches NP

Can't wait to get back!!
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

WOW!!!! Great looking place! Thanks for the pics.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Absolutely breathtaking pic's. Nice looking family as well.
Thankyou for sharing. :D
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Awesome pics!! Thanks!!
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
ROS

Post by ROS »

Absolutely beautiful pictures. Thank you.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Cool pics man ....very cool.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Ranger Everett Ruess, I'd forgotten how much I miss the west. Thanks so much for stirring all that up again.

I'm glad you got away from the snow and had a great time with the guys. Were you camping, too?
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
AmyDoll

Nice

Post by AmyDoll »

Beautiful pics, and what handsome children. Thanks for sharing, Ranger Everett Ruess.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Sweet pics.
It's all good.
BattleBoar
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by BattleBoar »

Great pics.

Man, am I jealous!
Ranger Class 4-95
82D ABN DIV: B/3-505 PIR 95-97
2ID, Korea: HHC/1-503 (AASLT) 97-98
3ID, Benning: A/1-30 IN (M) 02-03 (Incl OIF), HHC/3/3 ID (M) 01-02, 03-04
All other periods, sadly including the present: No Assigned Weapon
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

So "that's" what God's country looks like, I'm so far down in hell I had no idea it was that "cool" (you kinda learn to pay attention to those things down here) :lol:

Fine boys you got there Ranger, thanks for sharing with the extended family, glad ya had a good time (I'd give my left nut to be in the snow though :wink: :lol: )
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Ardent Lady wrote:Ranger Everett Ruess, I'd forgotten how much I miss the west. Thanks so much for stirring all that up again.

I'm glad you got away from the snow and had a great time with the guys. Were you camping, too?
Yes, we were camping. I grew up in the wilderness - mostly the desert southwest. I camp, backpack, wander aimlessly, etc every chance I get. I'll be heading back down south again in a week and a half. Hopefully I'll get out as much this year as I always say I will. :wink:
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Everett Ruess wrote:
Ardent Lady wrote:Ranger Everett Ruess, I'd forgotten how much I miss the west. Thanks so much for stirring all that up again.

Yes, we were camping. I grew up in the wilderness - mostly the desert southwest. I camp, backpack, wander aimlessly, etc every chance I get. I'll be heading back down south again in a week and a half. Hopefully I'll get out as much this year as I always say I will. :wink:
The sound of the desert at night - *sigh*

I hope you do get out that much and please take more pictures to share here. I grew up in Chicago, but we visited Phoenix every year, at least once and often twice, because of family living there. We'd often go out and about in the state and explore and I miss it.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
JMK SF G-2
Tadpole

Post by JMK SF G-2 »

Those are some awesome pictures, Ranger Ruess. Did you get to do any exploring in the old ruins? Aren't those settlements from the Anasazi, the same group from the Mesa Verde area? For the boys, that is not only great outdoor activities and camping, but a chance to "tour" the lands of the ancient natives.

Now you've got me planning my next vacation! 8)
And God shall wipe away all the tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death. Neither sorrow, nor crying. Neither shall there be any more brain; for the former things are passed away. - Revelations

Return to “The Mosh Pit”