Time to Upgrade Firefox - Critical Security Upgrade

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Spartan

Time to Upgrade Firefox - Critical Security Upgrade

Post by Spartan »

There is a critical upgrade for Firefox to patch a security problem:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/03/03/mozi ... index.html

Another way to fix the problem is to upgrade to the newer version.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I got an auto-notification about this a few days ago.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Thanks for the heads up, Ranger Spartan.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Tool175

Post by Tool175 »

Can you use Firefox on an Apple powerbook
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yes you can if you have one of these OS's:

Mac
Operating Systems

* Mac OS X 10.1.x
* Mac OS X 10.2.x and later

Minimum Hardware

* PowerPC 604e 266 MHz (Recommended: PowerPC G4 667MHz or greater)
* G3, G4, 64 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)
* 72 MB hard drive space

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... ments.html

But, Mozilla has another browser that you could try called Camino, developed specifically for the Mac:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

Somebody edumicate my dumb ass - what the fuck does "Tabbed Browsing" mean?

I downloaded Firefox back when it was a Beta, and it failed to copy some of my settings from Explorer (Favorites, etc.), so I chunked it, but I might install the final version if I can figure out what all the fuss is about.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

chkray wrote:Somebody edumicate my dumb ass - what the fuck does "Tabbed Browsing" mean?

I downloaded Firefox back when it was a Beta, and it failed to copy some of my settings from Explorer (Favorites, etc.), so I chunked it, but I might install the final version if I can figure out what all the fuss is about.
When you want to see two different websites at the same time on your computer using MSIE, you have to launch a second copy of the browser. When using a Mozilla type browser, you hit CONTROL+T and at the top of the browser it opens a second window (indicated by a tab) where you can see that second website, without launching a whole new copy of the application. It does not require as much memory, therefore your computer operates more efficiently.

Also, you can hit CONTROL+click a hyperlink to another website, and by default, that site opens in a new tab so you don't lose your place at the website you are currently looking at.
Tool175

Post by Tool175 »

What I like about it most besides the tab is that over here in the sandbox you get riddled with viruses, since most are written for IE, w/ mozilla you escape most of it. I have had to install 2 spyware programs, AVG antivirus, and a firewall just to keep my computer up and running.
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

Spartan wrote:
chkray wrote:Somebody edumicate my dumb ass - what the fuck does "Tabbed Browsing" mean?

When you want to see two different websites at the same time on your computer using MSIE, you have to launch a second copy of the browser. When using a Mozilla type browser, you hit CONTROL+T and at the top of the browser it opens a second window (indicated by a tab) where you can see that second website, without launching a whole new copy of the application. It does not require as much memory, therefore your computer operates more efficiently.

Also, you can hit CONTROL+click a hyperlink to another website, and by default, that site opens in a new tab so you don't lose your place at the website you are currently looking at.
OK - well that sounds convenient. Might have to give it another try. I especially like the additional security. I already have Uber virus and spyware/ adware protections, but you can never take too many precautions. Thanks for the enlightenment!

And here I was thinking that "Tabbed Browsing" meant that you had to be Ranger qualified in order to use it. :wink:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97

Return to “The Mosh Pit”