Competing for a Ranger School Slot?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

There was a big Army Times article about the Army returning to letting soft skill guys attend the course by exception.

There were guidelines established and if Z-man is getting a chance to go, he has made the standards set by his command.

Great Job, Z.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Zaknafien wrote:Regardless I'm completely psyched at even a ghost of a chance to get to attend School and earn that black and gold Tab. Its been a dream for me that I didnt think I would accomplish just a couple years into my Army career.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Anyway, good luck and enjoy looking out at the world thru your asshole for the 63 days.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
10thVet

Post by 10thVet »

I spent 8 years up at Drum and actully was on the OML for Ranger school and then years later it was me to help decide the OML for Ranger School in my unit so I think that I can add a little to this...

1) need to grab hold of a NCO who has been to Ranger school and have him mentor you.. 15 extra lbs may have cost you to finish later than you would have with say 2-3 extra lbs.. Good job on finishing but with the less weight you could have finished 2:15-2:30 time frame and then moved up the OML

2) The land nav at Drum is a lot shorter but steeper in some places.. If Ft drum Has snow or rain, one good gulley will make you loose time and will have to make it up by running a lot more..Ft Drums is a lot "tricker" than the one at benning.. By that I mean there are stakes with eye site of each other.. BE ON WITH YOUR PLOTTING

3) Once Drum get hold of you and you graduate Pre-Ranger be prepared(BY that I mean dont get discouraged) to be lower on the OML than you thought... Itell guys didnt have priorty then and I doubt they will have proirty now unless you are in the LRS unit there. and ofcourse there the OML for Drum Ranger School also has on it, LT's who for some reason didnt go thru after IOBC, NCO's who attended Per-Ranger from another Post. and the other soldiers who went got hurt and want to back to Ranger school

4) the PVt that is ahead of you may not be a PVT the next time you see him, It was/ IS easy to promote a PVT to PFC and then to SP4 with the right CoC and waviers...

DONT get discourage and hang in there.... and Never let your CoC forget that you want to go and ofcoruse

GOOD LUCK
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Zak, in my opinion there should be no reason that you should fail Ranger School given the obvious effort you have put forth preparing.
Please allow me to be present when they pin on your Tab. :D

That way if you don't make it I can fucking kill you.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Good Luck ZAK!!!
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
10thVet

Post by 10thVet »

The only other thing else that I can recommend to you is try walking around the house/baracks/outside BAREFOOT...DONT ADD ANYTHING. espcially weight, No ruck, no nothing... Just walk around barefoot..Dont walk miles just what you do noramally(except shower) and PLEASE watch where you step you dont need to fighting ringworm or athletes feet or anything else.
This worked for me. All it does is help toughen the skin. I only had one blister on my feet the whole time and that was on the top of my toe... I dont know if anyone else tried it and worked for them, but it did work for me..

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”