Martial Arts in Battalion

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Bell

Post by Bell »

Just to let ya know how times have changed. When I was there we didn't have any time for extra stuff. Some of the guys worked out or ran but most of us went to town or went home. We were tired. I never knew anyone at my company that practiced any kind of martial art diligently.

I'll tell ya a little secret. The martial arts is cool but the thing ya get out of it for your mission is the confidence. My M16 was my confidence. I didn't know the first thing about Kung Pow and I got King of the Pit in Ranger School. Got a hold of a judo expert from SF that threw me over his head everytime he got a hold of me. Never did figure out how he did it. But I beat him.

If you find time to do continuing exercises after your day at the Battalion is finished, then it's a different kind of Rangers for sure.

RLTW
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

This thing should be addressed by Jody. And while I'm at it, I got a question for ya Jody. Did you have the time to train and continue your martial arts while you were there? I just had enough time to get drunk or say hey to the wife and we were gone again.

RLTW
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

Gracies? Told ya I had a lot of free time. I see guys, especially second bat doing wrestling matches and boxing matches and performance in the King Dome.

I never heard of it, never saw it. If I'd a known there were wrestling matces I'd a been first in line for that one.

Who are the Gracies? Got to see a couple of demonstrations by SF hand to hand experts. That's another story.

RLTW
Bell
AtxCrybaby

Post by AtxCrybaby »

No disrespect to the gracies but the only reason they were such a sensation is because nobody knew how to combat their style when they first brought it to the ufc. Once people learned what they were doing they started getting beat in the ufc.
Bell

Post by Bell »

My son persnally knew the Gracies. He fought Royce several times over a week and most of the matches lasted all day. There were no winners. My son truly respects their style of fighting and swore that he would never fight Helio.

http://www.gracieacademy.com/generations/helio.shtml

That old man was the toughest of the Gracies. He had a 3 hour and 40 minute bout with Waldemar Santana. He choked out Kato who was the number 2 Jiu Jitsu champion of the world in 6 minutes.

My son refused to fight that old man. They did spar for a moment and my son got choked out quickly. He wanted nothing to do with that wiry old fart.

I've leaarned a lot about the Gracies from my son.

RLTW
Bell
joerng
Ranger

combatives

Post by joerng »

combatives is a huge part of the trainning scedule that i use. i believe that it instills the worrior ethos and spirit in our rangers. right now we do it once a week for PT and i grab my guys every chance i get and roll there ases up.

it is good that you can tell the difference between pain and discomfort.

plus no one likes to loose rangers too bar fights. or hookers miss haps. LOL

as far as instuctors BN does not have any but there is someone in each PLT that is instructor qulified by the army(which does not mean much).
currently: In transit, 2/75 since JAN, 04. prior: 3/75 JAN, 01-JAN, 04. RS class# 02-01.

the beating will continue until moral improves.
CrashKILL
Ranger

Post by CrashKILL »

We did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which is basically the same thing that gracie jj is, just not as name commercialized.

Marcelo Alonso is the instructor. Good guy, and a Carlson Gracie blackbelt. He brought down Vitor Belfort, Mario Sperry and a few other fairly famous fighters to give seminars and shit. Good fun.

Yeah, a few of the Gracies are losing in Pride lately, but the odds of a Ranger coming into an unarmed match against Wanderlei Silva on the battlefield are pretty fucking slim, so I'd say the courses and lessons instructed are up to par.

If you wanna become a really billy bad ass, mix up your brazilian JJ with some Muay Thai or boxing, and wrestling. You'll be pretty fucking hard to stop.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

2/75 99-03
Class 8-00

Return to “Close Combat”