A Parent's perspective

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

A Parent's perspective

Post by Silverback »

Ranger Parents,
From time to time we have a young man (Option 40) come to the board and complain that his Parents (Normally the Mother) do not support his decision to join the service.

I feel it may be helpful if each of you would take the time and try explain how and maybe Parents react in this manner.

Others...Please do not Highjack this thread or YOU WILL PAY
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Mom in Texas
Tadpole

Post by Mom in Texas »

The way I feel about my son….doesn’t matter if he’s 50 or 60 yrs old, if I’m still around he’s still going to be my baby. No mother wants to think about her “babyâ€
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

My son graduated from a small school (90 in his graduating class) and watched many of his friends find only entry level, low paying jobs with little prospect for advancement. Since his grades weren't much to write home about, and he wasn't going to secure that rare Football or wrestling scholarship :shock: he decided that the military was his best option for a decent future. My son secured an option 40 contract during his senior year of high school. At the time I had no clue what that entailed, only that it didn't appear to give him any usable job skills he could utilize after leaving the service. :roll: However, he was insistant that if he going to enlist it would only be with the opportunity to become an Army Ranger. Once the contract was signed he had the full support of all his family...And actually it never crossed our minds that he woudn't achieve his goal of becoming a Ranger. (Stubbon kid)...I now realise that this achievement was not a "job training" opportunity, but a defination and characterization of who and what he is as a person...If any future employers fail to see and understand these traits..well, they are welcome to the next pick of his high schools future graduates!!!
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

Thanks Ranger Silverback for this opportunity. I had known my son wanted to enlist and try to earn the title Ranger while he was still in grade school and as he grew he never changed his goal, so it was not a surprise when he enlisted with option 40 after high school graduation, but I was shocked at how hard it was when it became time for him to leave. As a parent it was the first time that I was not able look out for him anymore and it was a feeling of helplessness as I no longer had any control or direction in my sons life.
I would like to say now that my son has been a Ranger for over two years I have never been prouder of anything or anyone in my life. The surprise for me was knowing what he has done and been through has changed my life for the better as I realize that my everyday problems are really pretty unimportant and trivial. I do not complain about things, If I don't like something then I fix it or shut up about it because I now cannot stand to hear anyone complain. I work harder at my job knowing that however hard it is or tired I am that my son is doing something three times as hard and I have never heard him complain about anything he has had to do. I see something that needs done I do it, I don't say its someone else's problem I just do it if it needs done.
I read the Ranger Creed and apply it to my life and uphold it in the things I do as I feel it is the least I can do to support my son and the brave soldiers who are now in a struggle for our freedom.
As my son told me one time as I was talking about some work related problem "Dad at least you are not getting shot at." With an attitude like that I can put some things into prospective about what is important in life.
I wish everyone could be a parent of a Ranger as it is the biggest Honor I have had in my life.
"Dad, these guys don't hate Americans anymore."
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Although I have no military aged children I thought it would help to explain my fathers point of view when I joined. I approached him about the idea and he blew me off. I was very persistant and constantly asked him about his service time. One day I finally said "Dad i'm gonna do it" He asked what I wanted to do and I explained that I wanted to be a Ranger. He said that was best place in all of the Army to go. I asked him why and this was his response " There is no safer place in the Army" I said how do you figure that? he response was " You will be with the most highly trained men in all of the armed forces and most importantly they ALL volunteered to be there"

just my 2cents
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Willy

Post by Willy »

My son , On his birthday 9-11. We sitting in the bar waiting for our table to be ready. They had the news on tv they were showing what was left of the Twin Towers. He turned to me and said I will never forget this Birthday. Shortly after that he joined the Army. I was suprised and proud of him. He has excelled in the Army so far . I feel we parents should not stand in the way of your childerns decisions, just try to advise them to help them make the right decisions. . Ranger Silverback I would tell them every military person can and does make a difference. If you feel strongly about jioning the military. You have to cut the apron strings some day and become your own man

Return to “The Mosh Pit”