Interrupting Your Life Plan to Serve

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Spartan

Interrupting Your Life Plan to Serve

Post by Spartan »

This began as a post to ImportsRSloths who mentioned in a post that he had completed a couple years of engineering school and is leaving to serve as a Ranger, if he can complete all the training successfully.

How old are you IRS?

Sounds like you are pretty focused on what you are doing. What are your thoughts about completing two years or Engineering education, and leaving it to serve our country. I understand the desire to serve our country and wanting to do it in a unique unit that will also be a challenge. A unit with a great history where a sense of purpose prevails and where the brotherhood is second to none.

But, what I want to know about is your education. How far along are you in the process of becoming a mechanical engineer and how many years remain? Will you be able to complete that education when/if you ever decide to leave the service, assuming you follow through with your commitment to serve?
---------

What I want to know from the rest of you DEPs who have Option 40 contracts, how many of you have interrupted plans that you are executing for your future to serve and what were those plans (you are not unique in this regard, most everyone leaves a chosen path to serve - except those who grow up with that in mind as their path) ?

What sacrifices do you see yourselves making; what are the positive things that you spent time developing and are currently executing that you are leaving behind in order to serve?
JSanta
Embryo

Post by JSanta »

I was planning on going to music school to study guitar and performance arts. I had worked with my teacher to line up auditions and I had also recorded with my band and was prepared to begin looking at labels. One day I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "Do I actually want to be seen on TV or in tabloids?" I knew what the answer was. I went to my recruiter and told him that I knew what I wanted in life and was willing to make the physical and emotional sacrifices that my choices would need. I never considered what I chose as a sacrifice. Being where I am now, I knew that what I chose was and is the right decision.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Myself and every other Ranger on this site, especially Ranger Neves, appreciates you turning your back on the high dollar, full of hookers and doin-more-coke-than-Axl Rose Rock Star life. No really, we're sure America will suffer in the short term by not being able to "enjoy" your "music", but we'll all benefit form your long term commitment to us all and we'll take great sympathy and compassion for the opportunites lost by you to serve our country in it's time of need. I for one feel safer all ready. Now shut the fuck up.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

Ranger Pneves - Im 20 years old.... Ive completed a ton of the core classes and CAN even co-op when I get back from my four years service... as far as classes completed, ive done the physics 1,2,3 and there labs, calc 1 and 2, statics, material strengths, some welding classes/labs, machining classes/labs, CNC machining, trig, casting and forming classes/labs, and all the englishes/electives... theres probably a bunch more I'm forgetting....

When I graduated high school, I had to decide if I wanted to do the ME thing, or TRY and go special forces like ive always wanted.... I did the ME route which is obvious, but also signed up for the Army National Gaurd as a cav scout... My platoon seargent is a ranger and he talks to me all the time and has really got me motivated and gave me a lot of INs and OUTs of trying to become a Ranger..... He pretty much told me how I could make it happen if I busted my ass off.... He also told me to stick to my guns untill I got that option 40 contract which I did and it took 3 trips to columbus for it to happen......

So I leave feb 10 and the fun will begin :twisted: :twisted:

And yes, I will DEFINATELY finish my degree when/if I get out of the service........ I even have a co-op lined up with a local company that helps design the gearbox/transmissions for submarines and large cargo ships and aircraft carriers for when I get out.... 8)
JSanta
Embryo

Post by JSanta »

Thanks Ranger Holmchicken. Even though I never though of things that way, I appreciate you shedding some light on my situation. I always wanted a hooker and lots of beer, but going in the military should accomodate me quite well.
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

Ranger Neves,
I'm 22. I am leaving behind everything I know prepared to relearn how to do everything I thought I already knew how to do the Army way. I have a year of college credit under my belt, but I've been working fulltime and paying my own way through school as I've been able to afford it, so it has definately been a slow process. I hope to find the time to take advantage of 100% tuition assistance while I'm in. If not, that's fine. I'll use the MGIB to finish college after the Army. I fully anticipate life in the military changing many of my current values/beliefs as well as desires in life, but as of right now I plan on staying in the military as long as I enjoy it and teaching high school after I get out and finish my degree. The main sacrifice I see myself making is personal freedom. I am currently used to being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it (with the exception of my current fulltime job). Naturally, like anyone who joins, I leave my family, girlfriend, and close friends behind knowing I am not going to see much of any of them for at least another 4 years. I also see the sacrifice of personal comfort, but that's a given as well.
Scout78
Ranger

Post by Scout78 »

Ranger Neves,
I am leaving behind my wife who is going through Chemo thearpy at the moment. I had already signed my contract, 11x with Option 40 when we were hit with positive test results. Needless to say my first reaction was that I would hold off on shipping until she was finished with her chemo and final reconstructive surgery. She told me I could bascially FUCK OFF, cause WE both worked hard for that contract and she was behind me 110% and I would leave when the military told me to leave PERIOD!!!

That is the biggest sacrifice I am making.
Scout78
Ranger

Post by Scout78 »

Thank you Leatherneck.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

That is one hell of a woman you have there! You had better make here proud. Best of luck to both of you.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

OK, first things first - I'm not at all impressed with statements such as:

"I was going to do this with my life", "I had planned on this, that, or the other thing".

This means you are not doing JACK with your life, but you hope to in the future. No one here gives a shit about what you COULD BE DOING.

"I had planned on running for State Senate but decided that I should serve in the Army" - Geeze - good thing for your state. Buncha Morons.

Those of you who currently have several years into an education and decided to serve - great - we all recognize that you had experienced either a dissatisfaction with the civilian world or perhaps have newfound patriotic feelings and you recognize that freedom is NOT free, and are willing to pay the price. Welcome aboard.

Scout78 - Best example stated so far as to actually making a sacrifice. Hopefully your wife is well after her surgery and chemo and that puts an additional burden on you to succeed, not just because you want to be a Ranger, but because your spouse is making a sacrifice so you can be successful. Let it weigh heavily on you to NOT quit cause if you go and spend all that time training and fail or worse quit, you will have failed her, and made her sacrifice of not having you there rather, shall I say it, worthless. Don't be worthless!
Scout78
Ranger

Post by Scout78 »

Hooah.
Understood Ranger Neves.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Scout78-
Thumbs up to you and your wife. Best of luck to you both. BTW, where in the hell is Justin, TX?
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”