General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Bravo57 wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:Holy Shit!!!!!!
I wrote this?
That's some good shit right there Ranger!
:wink:

I thought it applied to what seems to be going on around here lately.

Thanks for getting me a sticky!!! Sweet!!! :D
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

HAHAHAHA!! I was looking for this earlier. Guess I missed that it turned in to a sticky mess... :lol:
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
gunsmittys
Paratrooper

Post by gunsmittys »

No disrepsect meant to any one...its not just the fact 99% of the crew here graduated from Ranger School, but it is the simple fact you have earned the right to be called a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine...a DEP or 'cruit has earned any right to those titles even.

The 18-20something me generation thinks its all about them and what they are owed. They have no clue that they aren't owed a damn thing you earn it every thing you do in life is earned. You can earn the title of CEO, Paratrooper, Ranger, PJ etc.

You can also earn the title of asshole...just depends on the direction one choses to go. Some people are just naturally assholes and aspire to be perfect at it.

Another reason to give some repsect to folks here and on other military boards especially if you are a DEP or 'cruit; you never know who you're going to run into. If you aspired to be an ass on the internet...chances are good you will be remembered; your life will be made a bit of a living hell.

So in the grand scheme of it....tis best to stand-by and learn from those who have gone before you. Just my $.02 worth...
I am getting older, but refuse to grow up

911th SPS 01/81-10/83
1/94 FA 01/84-05/84--dad died
USMEPCOM 05/84-09/85
18th Abn Cps 10/85-9/87
Still serving today working for the VA
The Holmchicken
Ranger

gunsmittys wrote:Some people are just naturally assholes and aspire to be perfect at it.

That's a pretty damn good quote right there. Fitting to.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
RangerLee
Ranger

Re:

Post by RangerLee »

The Holmchicken wrote:
Bravo57 wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:Holy Shit!!!!!!
I wrote this?
That's some good shit right there Ranger!
:wink:

I thought it applied to what seems to be going on around here lately.

Thanks for getting me all sticky!!! Sweet!!! :D

I don't know I'm just saying....
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Re:

Post by centermass »

RangerLee wrote:I don't know I'm just saying....
2 years later?????? :shock: :D
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
RangerLee
Ranger

Post by RangerLee »

centermass wrote:
Gotta be the... nevermind...
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004
The Holmchicken
Ranger

RangerLee wrote:
centermass wrote:
Gotta be the... nevermind...
How socially disconnected are you to dig up a post this old?
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
merlyn
Tadpole

Re: Why DEPs should so show proper etiquette

Post by merlyn »

Holy necroposting!
I believe I've broken my previous record. Go for it, all of you young turks. Cash in that blank check.
Even though I am deliberately making this late (? :lol:) post; the words of gunsmittys will always hold
true.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
adckse
Ranger

Post by adckse »

Holmchicken - Well said! You have the teachings of one who was with A co.
Attack co 2/75 RGR REG
93'-96'
Ranger Class 5-95'
01010010 01100001 01101110 01100111 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01001100 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010111 01100001 01111001
Bama_Ranger
Ranger

Post by Bama_Ranger »

I'll never forget my first day at 2nd Batt. I was a SP4, fresh out of jump school, reporting in with with two Private E-2s, also fresh out of jump school. The Battalion was deployed at the time and the rear detachment NCOIC was a B Company PSG who had busted an ankle or something and had to be left behind. He was running things out of the the B Company orderly room and we were directed to report to him.

Now I was a former leg, E-4 with three years service when I re-upped under the Ranger option. I also considered myself to be somewhat of a badass. So I took these two wide-eyed privates in tow saying something like: "Just stick with me boys. I'll show you how this is done. We walked into B Company in all of our AIRBORNE spit shined glory, duffle bags in hand and I paused to figure out which way to go. At once I spy an approaching NCO who has that "knowledgeable look". In fact it was SSG Frank Major, who hadn't deployed with the rest of the company because he was headed off to some school or another.

When SSG Major was close enough I said: "Excuse me sarge...can you tell me where the orderly room is? His response was remarkable and stunning. He screamed into my face: "GET DOWN SOLDIER!" I did too. I threw down my duffle bag and dropped into the front leaning rest like I'd been shot. Frank (We later became good friends as R.I.s) bent down and yelled: "NOW...YOU START KNOCKING 'EM OUT; AND DON'T BOTHER COUNTIN' 'EM BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO LISTEN UP. BESIDES, I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I'M TIRED." I started doing pushups while SSG MAJOR explained to me that: "You don't call a general GEN; You don't call a captain CAP; You don't call a Lieuteinant LOO; and you don't call a sergeant SARGE. THERE AIN'T NO SUCH ANIMAL IN THE ARMY AS A SARGE...AND YOU WILL NOT USE THAT TERM AROUND HERE AGAIN. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?" At that point we were on the same sheet of music: "Yes Segeant!" "RECOVER", says Frank. Then he continued, "Now, what was your question?" I said: "SERGEANT, could you direct me to the orderly room." He replied, "Second door on the left...and make sure you knock before you enter, if you'd like to make through the rest of the day." At that point the two wide-eyed privates who were with me were like: "You go ahead we'll be right behind you", while I was wondering what the heck I'd gotten myself into.

When I first met my PSG, some time later, he introduced himself and said: "Ranger, there are just a few things you need to do to get along with me. Be where you're supposed to be, when you're supposed to be there, doing what you're supposed to do and in the proper uniform; and you'll stay on my good side. If you DON"T do these things, I'll beat the crap out of you. If by some stretch of the imagination you are a badass and I can't handle you (by the way you don't look like one), I'll go down the hall and get two or three more NCOs and we'll ALL beat the crap out of you. I that happens, don't even think about rnning to the MPs, or the IG, because I will lie and the rest will swear too it. When the smoke clears, you'll be the one in jail. This a volunteer unit. No one invited you and you can do the duffle bag drag on out of here anytime you get to feeling weak. Do you have any questions at this time?" "NO SERGEANT." "Good, that being the case, welcome to the Weapons Platoon."

Yes indeed, the 75th is a different world altogether: "Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow." :mrgreen:
RLTW - JP

Ranger Class 4-78
B 2/75, WPNS PLT
A 3/75,1ST PLT
3rd Ranger Co, TSB, Camp Darby

"Ranger, what's the maximum effective range of an excuse?" - Ranger NCO
Bama_Ranger
Ranger

Post by Bama_Ranger »

ZoneIV wrote:Well in the big Army at least where I was back in the 80s, "Sarge" wasn't used...
Yes...I can believe that. I enlisted in '73, right about the end of the Vietnam war. My first duty station was in Germany. Discipline in Europe at that time was atrocious; largely due to the fact that the NCO Corp had been seriously depleted due to the war and to disgruntled soldiers leaving the military. Morale and Espirit de Corp was in the toilet. At the same time, the Army was transitioning from a draft to a volunteer Army and the learning curve was steep. NCOs were stripped of some of their power to maintain discipline as well; no more "extra duty"; it was Article 15 or nothing. Not to mention the fact that Carter was the President, the economy was bad and the Army's had little fuel or ammo to train and its equipment old and worn out becasue there wasn't any money. Pay was low too; soldiers famlies were on food stamps. It was bad times for the Army all the way around. "Sarge" was commonly used in the leg units that I was around in Germany. That was NOT the case in the Ranger Batts. The 1st and 2nd Ranger Battalions were like an oasis of soldiering in a desert of undicipline.

By the early '80s, the Army had turned around, military discipline and decorum had been largely restored and it was a much better Army than the one I enlisted in. Don't underestimate the impact that the 75th had on that process either. I once heard General Wayne Downing give an exposition (mid-80's) on the tremendous effect that the Ranger Battalions had on the Army, in that regard, due to Rangers leaving the 75th and taking their skills and soldierly ways with them as they rose in rank to positions of authority.
RLTW - JP

Ranger Class 4-78
B 2/75, WPNS PLT
A 3/75,1ST PLT
3rd Ranger Co, TSB, Camp Darby

"Ranger, what's the maximum effective range of an excuse?" - Ranger NCO

Return to “The Mosh Pit”