Going to Iraq?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Kinnakor
Embryo

Going to Iraq?

Post by Kinnakor »

I joined the kansas national guard back in nov, and went to my first drill in dec. it was my first drill and i have never been to basic and AIT so i had no idea what was going on when i got there, it was christmas thing for people in the unit and family. after i asked around and got to know what was going on we sat down and listened to people talk, they talked about support groups and how they are sending all the units to Iraq in sept. I didn't know if it included me so i asked a guy next to me.( he was a new guy too but been to something called rep 63?) if that included us and he said yes. I don't know if was wrong or not, but can they tell you that far ahead if you are going to ship over seas? I am not detesing going to iraq, just confused as to what it going on. any help would be appreciated thanks
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Going to Iraq?

Post by rgrpuck »

Kinnakor wrote:I joined the kansas national guard back in nov, and went to my first drill in dec. it was my first drill and i have never been to basic and AIT so i had no idea what was going on when i got there, it was christmas thing for people in the unit and family. after i asked around and got to know what was going on we sat down and listened to people talk, they talked about support groups and how they are sending all the units to Iraq in sept. I didn't know if it included me so i asked a guy next to me.( he was a new guy too but been to something called rep 63?) if that included us and he said yes. I don't know if was wrong or not, but can they tell you that far ahead if you are going to ship over seas? I am not detesing going to iraq, just confused as to what it going on. any help would be appreciated thanks

Bud you are going to Iraq. There should be no confusion there at all.

Yes plus or minus a few months they can project what unit is going where.

Anything else?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Kinnakor - if you came onto this site initially when you wanted to be a Ranger, what are you doing now serving in the National Guard?

What is it you are going to do in the guard? What MOS training are you going to attend?
Kinnakor
Embryo

Post by Kinnakor »

thanks for replying Ranger rgrpuck, by a few months do you mean 8 months? one of the reasons i am asking is there is alot of confusion, I was supposed to go today to a thing called (rep 63?) for people who havn't been to basic yet but due to some mess up we never went, I was going to try to get this clarified some more there.
Kinnakor
Embryo

Post by Kinnakor »

Spartan wrote:Kinnakor - if you came onto this site initially when you wanted to be a Ranger, what are you doing now serving in the National Guard?

What is it you are going to do in the guard? What MOS training are you going to attend?

thanks for replying Ranger Spartan, my mos is infantry. I joined the national guard with my friends. I will go active after a while in the guard. I have homeschool diploma and the army considers it as a Ged, so i won't be able to get a opt 40 contract.
Last edited by Kinnakor on January 15th, 2005, 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

They can tell you up to a year out or more if your unit is going to deploy to Iraq. Unit replacement and rotation has become more routine than when the war first started and long range planning allows them to do this, as well as to know where they will send your unit in the USA to receive extra training to prepare them.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

NEGATIVE on deployment until Bsic and AIT are complete...You are allowed to train with the unit but NOT deploy. You will be sent to Basic and AIT first or you will not be sent.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Smoke
Tadpole

NG

Post by Smoke »

Kinnakor, do you have to go to the Recruit Sustainment Battilion?
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Kinnakor wrote:
I have homeschool diploma and the army considers it as a Ged, so i won't be able to get a opt 40 contract.
Aren't you able to get 15 college credits and then be quailified for an Opt 40?

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Bell

Post by Bell »

Joseph PrettyDeepWater wrote: Kinnakor wrote:
I have homeschool diploma and the army considers it as a Ged, so i won't be able to get a opt 40 contract.
Aren't you able to get 15 college credits and then be quailified for an Opt 40?

~Joseph
Yes

RLTW
Bell
mipuke
Tadpole

Post by mipuke »

Abell9 wrote:NEGATIVE on deployment until Bsic and AIT are complete...You are allowed to train with the unit but NOT deploy. You will be sent to Basic and AIT first or you will not be sent.
Ranger Abell9 is right no MOS No deployment.

Vanguard
"NO FATE" T2
Bevo It's Whats for dinner!!!!

Kinnakor
Embryo

Post by Kinnakor »

Is there a way after i go active and get the 15 credits by having the army pay for college that i could still be able to go to RIP? thanks
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Kinnakor wrote:Is there a way after i go active and get the 15 credits by having the army pay for college that i could still be able to go to RIP? thanks
You're planning to go 'Active' (leaving the ARNG), and then go to school (on Uncle Sam's dime) while on Active duty (Uncle Sam's time)? Then, try to leave your unit, MAYBE pass RIP, and be assigned to a new unit? Did I get this right???

Damn, dude....
You, who hasn't even gone to Basic/AIT, fancy yourself THAT high-speed? WHY would the Army give two shits about what YOUR preferences would be? Are you somehow 'better' than all the other soldiers in those units? More deserving? Just asking hypothetical questions about hypothetical scenerios? What exactly are you trying to do here?!

I think you should shit us some REALLY good answers before anyone tries to square you away. :roll:
Kinnakor
Embryo

Post by Kinnakor »

Saltbitch wrote:
Kinnakor wrote:Is there a way after i go active and get the 15 credits by having the army pay for college that i could still be able to go to RIP? thanks
You're planning to go 'Active' (leaving the ARNG), and then go to school (on Uncle Sam's dime) while on Active duty (Uncle Sam's time)? Then, try to leave your unit, MAYBE pass RIP, and be assigned to a new unit? Did I get this right???
sorry Ranger Saltbitch I didn't mean to word it like thats the order i will be doing them.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

mipuke wrote:
Abell9 wrote:NEGATIVE on deployment until Bsic and AIT are complete...You are allowed to train with the unit but NOT deploy. You will be sent to Basic and AIT first or you will not be sent.
Ranger Abell9 is right no MOS No deployment.

Vanguard
I pretty much always am. :wink:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”