My RHOF Acceptance Speech, 2011

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

My RHOF Acceptance Speech, 2011

Post by garyedolan »

Inspired by the words of my good friend, Gen Greb, who posted his RHOF acceptance speech on FB, I decided to post my own here, with the hope that it might inspire a young Baby Ranger or aspiring Warrior:
RHOF ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
Family, Friends and Brother Rangers
This honor cannot be measured in words.
The scroll that I wore receives recognition only because of the accomplishments of the scrolls currently worn, which is because you “Baby Rangers,” as we FOG’s reverently refer to you, have stood upon our shoulders and raised the bar of excellence way beyond our reach.
To make a point and issue a challenge, I shall share some facts about the company sized Ranger unit with which I served in Viet Nam, Echo LRP/Charlie Rangers.
There are ten from my unit who preceded me into the Ranger Hall of Fame. Two last year: then PLT SGT James Voyles taught me more about leadership in four months than I learned in four years at West Point; then SP/4 Gary L. O'Neal “Big O,” about whom there are upcoming books and the movie rights have already been negotiated, was one of the fiercest jungle warriors I ever witnessed when he was in the field, but like all my LRP/Rangers, sorely tested my leadership skills when he was not.
There were two: Team Leader Dave Dolby and our last Company Commander, Robert Howard, the highest decorated soldier from Viet Nam, who proudly wore the Medal of Honor.
There were at least twelve enlisted from our unit who rose through the ranks to become a Command Sergeant Major.
When I was the 2nd PLT LDR, the 3rd PLT LDR was Duncan Hunter, who became a Congressman and campaigned, albeit unsuccessfully, to become President of the United States.
My front seat O-1 Birddog pilot and dear friend, the late Ranger Jerry Bussell, became Deputy Governor of the State of Nevada and was appointed by President Bush to be in charge of Homeland Security for all the Western States.
I am also honored by the presence of survivors of three of our heroes killed in action: Beverly, the niece of Lloyd Robinson; Kat, the wife of Ron Cardona; and a National President of American Gold Star Mothers, Ann, the mother of Rex Sherman. To honor all Gold Star Families, I ask these families and all Gold Stars in the audience to now rise to be recognized.
As you can tell, I am proud of the unit with which I served: a unit responsible for more B-52 strikes than any other unit in the history of Viet Nam. However, I mention these facts to encourage each of you, even the Private who just joined Regiment, to seize the moment. You are fortunate to be in the presence and company of the finest men and the greatest leaders on this globe. Study their habits, their characteristics, traits and behavior. Then apply them to your own style, because you are the future of this country.
To those of you who are leaders at every level: you are good, but anything can be improved indefinitely. Just by virtue of who they are, your Rangers deserve -- no, they demand – to be led by the very best. My challenge to you is to mold every Ranger that you lead into becoming a better leader than you are.
Perhaps one day a Ranger that you develop will become President.
How awesome would it be if every decision made by our Commander-in-Chief was guided by his allegiance to the RANGER CREED?
To my mom, Lonnie Dolan, especially my wife, Linda, my three children, Theresa Dandona , Joe Dolan and John Dolan, and my two grandchildren, Anthony and Michael Dandona: without your loving support, this day would never have been possible.
To my family that are my unit Brothers: you share equally in the pride of this honor.
To the Baby Rangers: I salute you (Hand Salute); I am so proud of you.
I love you all. Thank you.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: My RHOF Acceptance Speech, 2011

Post by Jim »

Excellent! Well done, Gary!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Outstanding Sir.

Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Excellent, as always, Lt.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Old news!!! Heard it the first time!!! :lol: :lol: (Still good!)
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

As the old saying goes, "Meets Expectations" - since everything Gary does is outstanding, he has met expectations yet again with another outstanding example of excellence.

The powers-that-be ought to draft him for high political office.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”