Familial Ramifications

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

fatboy
Ranger

Re: Familial Ramifications

Post by fatboy »

Bobdub, reading this thread a few things come to mind- the first is a quote from Patton. I'll paraphrase, but the gist of it is "when your kids look at you and ask what did you do during the wars, how are you going to respond? I shoveled shit in <insert home town> or fought with the best of them?" Again, not a direct quote, but close enough.
Secondly, I have to ask about your willingness to man up. If all it takes is a few harsh words from someone to make you re think your position on something, then you sure as hell don't want to go into combat arms, let alone an infantry unit. If hurt feelings and harsh words weigh that heavily on you,I can tell you that you would not have make it in a regular Infantry unit. And the Ranger Regiment is not a regular Infantry unit.

Point being, at some time in your life, you have to take the reins and run your life as YOU see fit. Not according to anyone else. In the end, it's your call.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

My mother screamed and she cried. She tried to guilt me. Then she tried to bribe me. Then she gave me a shit load of grief. The recruiter said it was the closest he had ever been to getting thrown out of a house before. I still joined. She got over it.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

My mom practically disowned me.

But, she and my father drove from PA to GA to watch me get my tab pinned. High School and college graduation, Division 1 soccer, ROTC, etc....that's the proudest they'd ever been of me.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “The Mosh Pit”