Reclassing to 12B applying for Regiment

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Stretch6Niner
Egg

Reclassing to 12B applying for Regiment

Post by Stretch6Niner »

Afternoon Rangers,

First and for most I have have searched for hours on this site for a better answer to me question. I did find one thread that could help and wanted to ask my question there by the thread was locked. Hopefully SLEDGE HAMMER can chime in as he is the one that could probably answer this for me.

I am doing a voluntary reclass to 12B from 12W, 12B was understrength and I jumped on it, leaving for school in September 2014. I have been talking with the Regiment Recruiter and he said that the Regiment only has slots for SSG and SFC 12B's, but the Regiment does accept SPC 12B's for retainability. Meaning that Regiment would be able to get more years out of a SPC in stead of only accepting SSG and SFC who would only be retained for a few years. I am almost done with my application, just waiting on my 4187 to get signed and my 1SG's recommendation.

Now my question is, what would a SPC Combat Engineer do in Regiment if he is not filling the authorized 12B slot of a SSG and SFC. From other threads I have read the 11B's already do all the breaching and have some explosives training. I can only think of 2 things I would be doing. Either a Combat Engineer Dog Handler or making coffee for staff personnel. Working in staff is not something I really want to do, but I know doing that in Regiment would be better than anything in the Regular Army.

I hope SLEDGE HAMMER can chime in with some information about the 12B SPC that was in his RIP class.

Thanks a lot Rangers,
Stretch
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Re: Reclassing to 12B applying for Regiment

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Sorry bud, the guy in my RIP class went up to 2/75 and I never spoke to him again, so I have no idea what he did up there. I can't think of any 12B's I met at 1/75 but I can say with absolute certainty that you won't be a dog handler as a cherry guy to a Battalion. Going out on a limb I'd guess you would end up in RSTB or in the support company of the other Battalions but I couldn't tell you what you'd be doing. Regiment has amazing opportunities and you won't be making coffee either, unless you purse that type of position. Depending on what you're looking in Regiment, bide your time, be a stud, go to School, come back and 4187 to be re-classed as an 11B if you graduate.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Stretch6Niner
Egg

Post by Stretch6Niner »

Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER,

Thank you for replying, I did not know if you would find my thread or not. I fully understand that I would not be a dog handler as a cherry, as I would not expect to be. It would make more sense to have the experienced guys in that position. I must say it is a sigh of relief that I would not be on staff making coffee, that is the last thing I would want to be doing. As for attending Ranger School and reclassing to 11B, that is my intentions. I do want to be 11B, that is my dream, 11B Airborne Ranger. I jumped on 12B because it was understrength and my MOS is over strength. How does Regiment guys view other Rangers reclassing to 11B after completing Ranger School? I really wish someone had a first hand experience with 12B's in Regiment. Makes me realize they really are one in a million.

Thanks Rangers,
Stretch
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Stretch6Niner wrote:How does Regiment guys view other Rangers reclassing to 11B after completing Ranger School?
Regiment, especially for prior service guys, is sink or swim. You have to check your ego at the door and understand you're going to be a private all over again until you prove yourself and eventually people will forget you were even an import. Reclassing to 11B is much the same way. You'll be tabbed and have been in Battalion for a little bit so common sense and an idea of how we operate is expected from the outset. The few guys I know that made the transition had no problems that I can recall and were doing well in their new jobs. Be a sponge, keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut and you should be fine. But I think you should be focused on making it to, and through, RASP at the moment. Don't get cloudy on your 50 meter target staring down the road at what seems like bigger fish. Good luck and never quit.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

11B's man all the dog handler positions, and 11B's do all their own breaching/explosives stuff. Anything that is beyond their skill set, would/could only be handled by an actual EOD guy. It should be noted that not much is outside the skill set of a Ranger platoon when it comes to explosives.

I have no idea what you would be doing, but my guess is that you'll be filling another MOS's position... so basically not being a 12B.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Stretch6Niner
Egg

Post by Stretch6Niner »

Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER,
I heed your words and take them to heart. I know checking my ego at the door is the top priority, I would not expect anything less. I just need stay focused on my 25 meter target.

Ranger Goon175,
I figured as much that all the explosives tasks would be handled by other Rangers. In the past I did read up on 28th EOD Company and how they support SOF units. My guess is that since my secondary MOS is 12W that I would be most likely performing those duties until I reached the rank of the authorized 12B slot.

I have my application packet complete and ready. I guess I have some thinking to do before I submit it.

Thanks again Rangers,
Stretch

Return to “The Mosh Pit”