Globalstar product review

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Globalstar product review

Post by Headoutdaplane »

How about a product review? if you are considering a globalstar or Spot satellite phone (they are the same) for use in AK, forget it, buy the Iridium. I have a full season now of trying to use the globalstar phone. Although there coverage map shows full coverage for AK that is false. You will wait up to thirty minutes for coverage, and then you can expect at least two to three dropped calls, which for my business is not viable, it would be less so if there was an emergency.

On top of that they advertise monthly plans, but that is a lie, if you read the fine print (much to my chagrine, I did not) it is an annual plan, you cannot cancel it for the months that you will not use it without a $250 penalty. The webpage is specifically designed to make you think they are indeed month by month plans. Unfortunately, it wasn't just me but two friends that fell for the same bait and switch. I will pay the $250 chalk it up as an idiot tax, and then buy an Iridium (of which I have not heard any bad things). Globalstar's customer service sucks
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Globalstar product review

Post by centermass »

Iridium has been around forever and has a full footprint on the globe. Never heard of Globalstar until now and did some digging. Sure enough, seems Globalstar has had satellite access problems due to contractual disagreements with the providers.

Until Globalstar resolves the issues and gains full access to those available satellites, I suspect it will continue to have those issues you've identified.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”