VFW

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

VFW

Post by blueskiesalways »

So, finally got the best job EVER...Might need a little help on this one. I am now the manager of our local VFW. Can any of you help me out getting our "new" VETs to be part of that brotherhood?....NOTHING can replace hanging with any branch feeling that ..Well you guys know that feeling....I just want to learn how to make it the same for the new kids on the block!
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: VFW

Post by rgrokelley »

I don't want this to be a "downer" message... its more of a intel brief.

The WWII generation grew up in the Depression, then went into the war, with a different mindset. As part of growing up they worked with their church, neighborhoods and towns to help out those that couldn't make it. This was the days before food stamps, medi-care and welfare. Those who needed help got it from their neighbors.

When they went into WWII they were now jammed together with thousands of others, doing missions that took thousands to achieve. They conducted operations in numbers that would not be seen since by US forces.

So in their formative years they grew up working as a group, and in their military years they matured working with a group... so when the war ended they naturally created groups to deal with their problems. No therapist, just a few of their fellow buddies having a beer, and their problems didn't seem as bad.

Now, fast forward to now. Over the years attendance in these various military fraternity groups have dropped dramatically, until you are where you are now. This is because the soldier now had not grown up in a "group" mentality. Today's soldiers do most of their social life on line. For those who are younger, how long can you go without looking at your cell phone to see if there is a message, or a call, or a text? I know of one retired CSM who can't go more than two minutes without checking that phone.

You most likely are not going to get them to join your group, where all you have to offer is a bar downstairs. Unless this bar has strippers, they probably won't want to hang out there with their valuable "off" time.

I use myself as an example. I have been offered to join just about every military fraternal organization you can think of, but I have turned them all down. I cannot imagine myself sitting in some darkened bar, having beers with men who are as old as my dad. I actually cannot imagine myself hanging out in a VFW bar, drinking beers with men who are my age or younger either. I am a busy guy. I don't have time to waste by doing that.

This generation is not set on "group" social life. They also do not want to be stagnate. Sitting around in an old cinder block building with some WWII tank outside of it does not appeal to them.

So, how to get the new generation... or even my generation? You have to strip it down and start over. Activities must be more "active". The bar needs to be modernized... maybe into something that looks like a sports bar. I don't know, but the way the VFW is now, I wouldn't want to spend the few minutes I have "off" to go there.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rgrokelley wrote:So, how to get the new generation... or even my generation? You have to strip it down and start over. Activities must be more "active". The bar needs to be modernized... maybe into something that looks like a sports bar. I don't know, but the way the VFW is now, I wouldn't want to spend the few minutes I have "off" to go there.
And to add, both VFW and American Legion need to do something to tighten up on scrutinizing their membership requirements and vetting. It's one of the reasons I choose not to socialize there, and believe me, I'm an old guy...... :oops:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Speaking of vetting, my local VFW had elections a couple years ago, and the state VFW requested the DD214s of the new officers as part of the state regs. Surprise - they couldn't "find" their 214s. Gosh, they must have misplaced them or something, and man were they "insulted" when state said cough them up or you are out. And their original applications? Well, they must be here somewhere, all their buddies said, yeah we saw 'em, we just don't know where they are, somebody must have lost them.....What, ask for replacements from the National Records Center? That's too much hassle, man, forget it.........

That plus some other nonsense caused me to gradually withdraw from the VFW. Too many wannabes trying to be something they never were in the first place.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I just got my pin for being a member 45 years. I've not been inside the door of the VFW Post for at least ten years.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I am not a member but I get members from the local VFW in my office almost every day. And every damn day it is some shit about kicking out Mike or Bobby was stealing the money or Jimmy got pissed because he wasn't in chrage of the 4th of July parade. I just don't have time to sit around breathing a death cloud of second hand smoke and listen to the bullshit.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Or maybe two vets in a smoke filled bar you can't see 10' in, with 50 kids or grand kids of vets who don't think you have any business in "their" bar/clubhouse.

They are anachronistic relics and/or small town political hotbeds. Most of us don't want to hang out with the chain smoking, local drunk.

I don't plan on ever stepping foot in another one.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Still working on the stripper pole, but smoking is banned :)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

blueskiesalways wrote:Still working on the stripper pole, but smoking is banned :)
The only good thing is that they can still smoke.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Not in Illinois. It's banned in all public establishments, including the private ones.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Add to all of this the fact that the WW II Vets in both American Legion and and VFW actively discouraged Vietnam Vets from joining. I had just got out of the Army and my proud Dad (WW II Vet) wanted to take me down to the VFW and show me off...he's my Dad so I'll make him happy. He also talks me into wearing my Class A's. Well, I'd only been out a week so, what the hell....it'll make him happy. He's showing me off to all his buddies when he whips out the citation for a medal and starts reading it to the guy who runs the post. I'm standing there in my starched Khaki's, an Airborne Ranger Sgt, boots look like black glass, all my "hero shit" on my chest and this fucking REMF says, "Well, it's not like you were in a REAL war!" I was stunned....slowly, I turned to my Dad and quietly asked him to get me the fuck out of there....never been back!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Thanks to all the Rangers that added their ten cents worth, as usual your insight is spot on. So here is my SITREP so far. I hope I have utilized most of your words of wisdom. I have realised that most of our elderly Vets enjoy visiting with each other during the day and are done and home by 5pm. If my younger Vet son tried that his wife would probaly kick his ass!, but they have earned their retirement and more power to them!...I'm fortunate enough to work for a young Iraq Vet Commander with a young family who started out Army and crossed over to the dark side...Airforce (cough, cough), many a fun friendly discussion has ensued (RTLW)! On a more serious note...We have added free WIFI (A must if you want to hang out with your kids)...Our new kitchen now has a youngster friendly menu, with healthy options....Just had a Karaoke night with youngsters welcome until 9pm...THE PLACE WAS PACKED! )...I'm in the process of planning a golf torny with the proceeds going towards building a playground for families to hang out together... We put in place activities for spouses and kids while their Veteran attends memebership meetings...We are implementing a youth program similar to the auxillaries but for our youngsters to fund raise and support the organization...We have had 3 new Vet members actually attend a meeting, may not sound like many but hell, they were under 30yrs old! (baby steps)...On top of that we have signed up 23 new members!... With the help of our more seasoned Vets we put together resource packets for Vets. My Commander spends hours helping vets reconstruct lost or misplaced service records (I'm amazed at how big a problem that is!)... I've overhauled the bar operations and implemented (an) inventory system ( never done before, really???)...Fired 2 bartenders, hired 2 new ones with Militaty ties :)...Done a few over things as well, just trying to hit the highlights...During the day, I'm careful to share our after 5pm activities with our daytime Vets, they actually love hearing whats going on and adding some helpful suggestions...Send me some more ideas..I'm loving my job!!!!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”