General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

How Can We Best Honor Their Memory on Memorial Day

Post by garyedolan »

I would like to share a writing I did a few years ago about Memorial Day:

I believe we veterans are a living tribute and have a solemn duty to bestow honor upon the memory of our fathers, mothers, uncles, aunts, brothers and sisters who gave the full measure of devotion in defense of our country and in defense of each other.

As I get older, the depths of my feelings and emotions mature while I seemingly become less wise. Everything, and not just physically, was somehow easier when I was younger. I no longer have all the answers I enjoyed with my youthful wisdom.

I am not sure how best to honor those who died: for me, for my brothers-in-arms, for my family, for my future and for my freedoms.

One of the happiest days of my life was when I married my true love at West Point on Memorial Day, May 30th, 1970. So, when someone wishes me a “Happy Memorial Day.” I can beam with the happiest thoughts and reflections of that wonderful day. However, having departed for Vietnam the day after I returned from my honeymoon, the happy thoughts are as quickly departed and replaced with the evocative memories of my fallen heroes.

As I do every Memorial Day, I will return from marching with my local VFW in its annual Memorial Day Parade filled with high school marching bands, boys & girls scouts/soccer teams and hundreds of volunteer firemen. For all our parades, the veterans are always invited to lead the parade, even in front of the politicians. The small crowds lining the streets always clap the loudest for the veterans. I know they will soon dissipate to enjoy cook-outs with family & friends in this beautiful weather. I, myself, am looking forward to my own family being with us for a bar-b-que.

So, to the question of how best can we honor Their Memory on Memorial Day.

There is a phrase in the bible: “Who will honor him who does not honor himself?” As living tributes, I believe we must act honorably to honor the memories of our fallen. I believe we honor the memory when we accept honor. Allow the citizens to honor us in any way they choose, whether it be clapping when we pass in review, placing us on a dais, bestowing upon us proclamations or certificates or simply being the recipients of a “Thank You!” I think it is our solemn duty to demand honor. We are the voices of the deceased; we are the reminders of the deceased; we are the living tributes of the deceased. It is our duty to rekindle patriotic fervor in the beating hearts of our country-folk, to remind them by our honorable presence of the supreme sacrifices of our fallen heroes.

I believe our country deserves to be happy and free, because that happiness and freedom was bought with the blood of our fallen heroes. I think our fallen heroes would appreciate that our country is happy and free and would gladly accept that as a wonderful tribute to their sacrifice. So, I personally am not disturbed to note that our people wish each other a Happy Memorial Day and celebrate the onset of summer.

I am also thankful. I am thankful that I once was young and soared with eagles. In my youth I did not adequately appreciate the full measure of the men with whom I served. Never again would I be in the company of men who would routinely offer up their own lives to spare mine; never again would I share unqualified trust and know that I was equally trusted. The respect, admiration, honor and love for these men with whom I served grows with each passing Memorial Day. I am thankful and prideful for all who served.

On this Memorial Day I also salute the Gold Star Families and promise to honor them with my own living tribute.

God bless all veterans!
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: How Can We Best Honor Their Memory on Memorial Day

Post by Jim »

I know I could not have said it better. Thanks, Gary.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Amazing Sir, well said.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Well done, sir, well done.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Richard Cranium wrote:Sir, would you mind if I post this elsewhere so that some of my soldiers/former soldiers can read it?
Brother Richard, I feel honored and priviledged to know that you shall share my words. Any words of mine or any pictures at my site at http://oftheirownaccord.com or at http://www.facebook.com/mobileprotectio ... 1091932954 may be freely used.
I truly believe we are the living medals earned by our fallen heroes.
Gary "28"

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Monday, Mike Murphy and I will represent us all at the 50th Ann. Of the War in Viet-Nam. SECDEF invited us.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

I truly believe we are the living medals earned by our fallen heroes.[/quote]

This may be the most touching statement I have read on this forum.

Thank you for this!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

BUMP...
Gary "28"

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

To all our fallen Brothers, we will see you again soon. You are never forgotten as long as there is breath in my lungs.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thanks, Gary!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Thanks Gary!

In Response: I'm willing to offer my services as a drinker of free beers when I get back CONUS about a week after Memorial Day. You know... in memory of our fallen bretheren!
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you can believe it, I am scoutmaster for a local troop.( I know, I cant believe either they actually trust me in the woods with little kids..) One thing my troop does every memorial day weekend is place flags on the graves of veterans at a local cemetery. We do this in conjunction with a local VFW. I also ensure that my scouts show the proper respect and courtesies for the Flag. I let the m know that they can mess around whenever they want, but woe be to them if they do it during the Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, or raising/retiring the colors.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “The Mosh Pit”