Hunting

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bushwack
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Hunting

Post by Bushwack »

With the start of big game season upon us I thought I would ask the hunters here what they hunt besides pussy. It might prove interesting to learn what everyone hunts from different parts of the country. Some of you in the western states have the opportunity to hunt big game the rest of us only dream about.

My suggestion is tell us what state you are in and what type of game do you hunt.

Pennsylvania here, White Tails and Black Bear.
SP6/SSG, B 5/6 ADA 76-79; 95th Svc Co 80-82; 523 Maint. Co. 82-84
Proud of him and those like him.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Re: Hunting

Post by C-MAC »

NY, and still hunting for the perfect slice of bacon and 12 year old scotch...

I've retired from shooting animals, that is until the wild hogs make their way here. And now that I have, every White Tail, Wild Turkey and Coyote for 50 miles wanders through the property.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

NY: Whitetail (Archery and Gun), Turkey, and some Small Game (Grouse mostly).

Back in the 90's I got into Caribou but I haven't been since. I have take 5 all together, Alaska, NW Territories, and Quebec.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Out here it is just the usual deer, bear, grouse, and occasional snowshoe hare. Will make a serious effort on coyotes, they are everywhere. Have done turkey, but not that enthused about them. Used to take squirrels for stew, but not enough of them around these days.
Actually, there is less of everything the last couple years around here, and there has not been an increase of hunters taking more game. There has been a dramatic increase in wolves and the aforementioned coyotes which, despite the steady denials by the DNR, are likely responsible.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

Ohio, Whitetail deer (archery, shotgun, black powder) A bit of pheasant and duck hunting every now and then. Coyotes and groundhogs year round.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Florida - Saving all of my ammo for the range and the "Big Hunt" which will involve hunting and terminating with extreme prejudice all of the vicious two legged animals, which I expect to start here any minute............ :wink: :lol: 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Lefty wrote:Out here it is just the usual deer, bear, grouse, and occasional snowshoe hare. Will make a serious effort on coyotes, they are everywhere. Have done turkey, but not that enthused about them. Used to take squirrels for stew, but not enough of them around these days.
Actually, there is less of everything the last couple years around here, and there has not been an increase of hunters taking more game. There has been a dramatic increase in wolves and the aforementioned coyotes which, despite the steady denials by the DNR, are likely responsible.
Coyotes are really hammering everything here also. I am seriously thinking about taking up the hunt for them!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

McD wrote:
Lefty wrote:Out here it is just the usual deer, bear, grouse, and occasional snowshoe hare. Will make a serious effort on coyotes, they are everywhere. Have done turkey, but not that enthused about them. Used to take squirrels for stew, but not enough of them around these days.
Coyotes are really hammering everything hear also. I am seriously thinking about taking up the hunt for them!
The rabbits and even groundhogs were few and far between a few years back which I attributed to coyotes, but now their numbers seem to have recovered . A natural cycle or adapting to the coyotes ?

I hunt rabbits, squirrels, deer, turkey, grouse, and groundhogs. Rifle, pistol, bow, or muzzle loader are all fine with me. I use judo points when I hunt small game with my long bow. I have tried calling coyotes, but haven't had any success yet. I will probably lay out of work tomorrow to hunt deer with my muzzle loader.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Just left Alaska, where I hunted Moose, grouse, ptarmigan, and geese. Never got around to bear or caribou (sigh).

Right now I'm in school in AZ, but it's temporary. After school it's on to Polk and I'm hoping for some good deer, pig, squirrel and turkey hunting. We'll see.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I have tenative plans on hunting an elk this year. Not sure how that is going to work. I am going to put in for the antelope draw but it might be 25 years before I get drawn.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

BTW, deer gun season here opens Saturday. Anyone in the AO has an open invitation to come join us - HH6 vacates the place until Wednesday next week and leaves it for the hunters. Only have two others coming in this year, wife's nephew and his sister. (No, she isn't, trust me.)
We always start by moving into the deer shack on Friday, then go out for Friday night fish fry at the VFW (I'm the cook, so it's good and it's free for my friends, plus all the beer).
Everything up here except the hardware store, restaurants, and taverns shuts down for the week.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Racoons, Fox, Hawk, Possum, stray cats and wild dogs... or anything that tries to kill my dozens of chickens. Weapon of choice? Twinkie in a series of coyote traps. They loves them twinkies.

I haven't hunted since the mid-1990s.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The Mosh Pit”