Hunting

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Hunting

Post by Baseplate »

Rangermom wrote:Ranger Baseplate - Ared you in Montana? or close?

I am in Eastern Arizona
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Here in the People's Republic of Connecticut not a lot of hunters. The ones that are here are hard fuckin core though. Interestingly, some of the best bow hunting here is on private land in the "Gold Coast" (Greenwich to Fairfield) One of the most populated and wealthiest parts of the country. It is done with full permission of the owner and usually kept on the DL. Letterman and Martha Stewart don't want deer eating the plants any more than the next guy. However, soon as the tree huggers get wind of it they get their panties in a twist and start screaming bloody murder.

Saw a couple of ring necked pheasants the other day sitting not five feet from the road, having a fucking cigarette and flipping me the middle finger,
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

One of these days I need to try my hand at hunting. Now that I am close to my grandsons; they both hunt so by necessity I will need to learn the ins, outs and foibles of the Michigan hunting laws and then find somewhere to hunt.

If any of the locals have any suggestions please let me know. I have been target shooting but have not shot at anything living in over forty-two years.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

I hunt Michigan. Whitetail Deer (Western UP for Rifle)(SW Lower for Bow and Late Doe Season). The occasional Coyote that I may cross paths while in the woods, Turkey in the Spring and Grouse during the fall. I plan on a bear hunt in the not to distant future as I have my preference points to the point where I can select my hunt. al_2ndWolfhounds PM me if you would like some suggestions. Obviously the further north you go the greater access you will have to State land.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
JPHawk

Hunting

Post by JPHawk »

Looking to see if I can get some advice and this thread seemed the best area. Shotgun deer season is underway here in MA. I've done some turkey hunting in the past but this is my first time hunting white tail. I have a 12 ga Remington 870 supermag smooth bore. I plan on picking up some rifled slugs to use. My question is which type of choke tube would be best to use? Improved? Anyone have suggestions on a specific brand?
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Maybe this should go in the good humor section......... I was hunting on a tract of private land this afternoon right above a buddies house. I had been sitting in a blind and I was slowly making my way back to the truck right near dusk when I hear a snort from down by the trail. All boy! There is a small doe which is exactly what I had been wanting. It runs about 30 yards out and just stops with it's rump facing me. I went for a head shot with my 12ga and 1oz slug and watched a small sapling fall over right beside the doe. The deer doesn't run, so I squat down and get in a more stable shooting position. I go for a head shot again and this time the doe drops and cartwheels down the side of the ridge and land in the middle of the trail where it attempts to get up and then drops. I am sitting there all proud of myself as the deer is only about 40 yards from my truck and am in the process of getting a fresh dip when it stands up and walks off down the trail. :shock: I know where it is headed and it is a thicket where I lost deer before so I take off down the trail. As I near the gravel road I look over and see a deer bouncing away with it's tail held high. WTF ? Is that the same deer ? I walk back up the trail where it had lay and I can not find even a trace of blood any where. I guess I just grazed it's noggin and stunned it. Tonight I am eating cow steak instead of deer tenderloin. :cry:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Lunch wrote:
smokn38 wrote:I hunt Michigan. Whitetail Deer (Western UP for Rifle)(SW Lower for Bow and Late Doe Season). The occasional Coyote that I may cross paths while in the woods, Turkey in the Spring and Grouse during the fall. I plan on a bear hunt in the not to distant future as I have my preference points to the point where I can select my hunt. al_2ndWolfhounds PM me if you would like some suggestions. Obviously the further north you go the greater access you will have to State land.
You know anyone with a farm in Mendon?

God I wish. Its 30 miles south of me.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
blueline73
Ranger

Post by blueline73 »

Has anybody had any luck with gobblers this spring? I had drill at Fort Pickett this weekend. I went on a 9 mile run around the range complex on Thursday night and saw three longbeards. Friday evening (night before the opening day of spring turkey season in VA) we saw a longbeard and two hens near the zero range. The tom was strutting around like a boss, completely oblivious to us shooting 400 yards away. I've been in SWAT school all week, and haven't had a chance to hit the woods yet. I'm chomping at the bit, and counting down the days until Saturday....
3-116th INF: OIF 07-08, Al Asad AFB
1-116th INF: OIF 2010, Camp Adder/Tallil AFB
WTC RTAC 09-11
RS 10-11
City of ------- Police Department: 08-Present
Patrol Sergeant/SWAT

Return to “The Mosh Pit”