Moderator: Site Admin

Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Hello again Rangers

Post by Baseplate »

I don't think the reserves has infantry
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Baseplate wrote:I don't think the reserves has infantry
USAR has no Infantry units. Reserve component Infantry units are all in the Army National Guard.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

Hey Hitch, where are you located? I might be able to give you some direction concerning Reserve/Guard units. I've spent time in a Guard LRS Detachment, and would definitely vote for Guard over Reserve any day.
B 3/75 90-92
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

True the LRS has many experienced, and quite often prior service Rangers, SF, and Marines, serving. But like any unit, including the Rangers, they also need privates. My LRS Team had myself (prior Active Duty w/ 3/75), another SSG (always Guard), a SGT (prior Marine), 2 SPC (always Guard) and 2 PFCs (one prior active army 2 year tour, and one brand new). SC also has traditional Infantry as well. Georgia also has a LRS Company (H Co, 121st IN (ABN)(LRS))

Heck half of the guys in my LRS Det were college students, some prior active going back to school, some never served anywhere but the guard. All that to say don't shoot yourself down without even trying. I mean if you want it you want it. Make THEM tell you no if it can't happen, don't just assume it's a no and not even try.

And worst case if you can't get a LRS position (due to requirements or no vacancies in the unit) then regular infantry will get you going in the right direction as well. Hell at least it's Infantry!

All that to say don't effing give up just because you read something on the fricking internet (as we know how reliable that is!). Get on the phone and call a recruiter or even call the unit you're interested in directly (in the guard you enlist for a specific MOS in a specific unit). Actually talk to a live fricking person. They will know the real deal concerning what you want to do rather that some wiki article on the inter-web.

Chuck
B 3/75 90-92
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

everything Chuck said is true. I was also in a LRS unit while in college prior to going active duty.

if you want to be sucessful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. don't let life happen to you. grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

KW Driver wrote: if you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. don't let life happen to you. grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
OK. I at least want a t-shirt with that on it.

In fact, it is about to become my new tagline unless you take offense to that (or want royalties).
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

One difference I've recently heard about the Reserves/Guard has to do with funding.

Due to the economical situation of our country and individual states I was told that the Guard has very little money to no money to spend on anything because it is State funded, whereas the Reserves is Federally funded and has better chances at getting training/equipment and the like.

I haven't researched this but it does seem to make sense.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

C-MAC wrote:
KW Driver wrote: if you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. don't let life happen to you. grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.

In fact, it is about to become my new tagline unless you take offense to that (or want royalties).
one t-shirt, or sig line is cool. you start cranking out t-shirts, I want my cut.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

If your long term goal is the Ranger Regiment, you might want to wait until you are ready to take the four year tour. NG/USAR members are considered prior-service and it can be very difficult to enter the regular army. While this changes from time to time, right now the regular army is filled up and extremely picky about who gets in.
There's several recent threads on this.
Just one more data point for you to consider.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

KW Driver wrote:
C-MAC wrote:

one t-shirt, or sig line is cool. you start cranking out t-shirts, I want my cut.
Deal.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “The Mosh Pit”