Motivation

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Glock

Motivation

Post by Glock »

For those of you that are a bunch of unmotivated flowers check this out. Last night when I was watching tv, a Army recruitment commercial came on. During the commercial there was about a 5 second clip of Rangers. After the commercial was over I thought to myself "What the hell am I doing sitting down watching tv when I could be outside running". If you have read some of my other posts you will see that I am pretty high speed when it comes to PT. I got up, grabbed a back-pack and filled it up with some water and started running. I ran for about 4 hours straight without stopping. I drank water on the run. I literally ran until I threw up and couldn't go anymore, so I sat under a giant rock (I live in the desert) for about 30 mins got rested up and ran all the way back home without stopping, throwing up 2 times more. My legs hurt like hell, but I wan't to do it again. This my friends is called being motivated. Don't respond back saying something like, there is a fine line between being motivated and being stupid. Don't say that because thats what unmotivated people say to make themselves feel better when someone out does them. All of you other guys in DEP, lets get ready and kick ass when we get to basic, airborne school, and RIP.

HOORAH..... RANGERS LEAD THE WAY
SgtSommer
Embryo

Hey Glock...

Post by SgtSommer »

Nice weapon, the glock...
Anywhoo your right, their is very little difference between being a PT God and being insane, and you my friend do not cross the line. I love it when I run some ass off, and when that burning feeling in my stomach, legs, throat and knees makes you feel like stopping, and then when you don't it's the best feeling in the world. I will admit however I do not run as often as you, so once again, here's a tip of the hat!

PS: Hoorah is a Marine thing... ;)

I think you were looking for hooah, unless I am mistaken...
Before you run, learn to walk.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

"I ran for about 4 hours straight without stopping."

You realize thats longer than an olympic marathon??? People run there whole lives and train very hard and could never fully run a marathon.....
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, don't doubt me. I have no reason to lie on a BB.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

I suppose so...... i just naturally doubt everyone and everything on the net. If you did it more power to yah.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, No prob, the net is full of bullshit. I suspect everyone too, but like I said I have no need to lie on a Ranger BB. I posted this to try to get some of other DEPers motivated.
tom72

Post by tom72 »

I went sprinting the other day and puked. :D That was fun.
Glock

Post by Glock »

LOL :lol: Just remember, the harder you PT before you ship, the easier it will be for you when you start basic, airborne, RIP.
snapper-916-
Embryo

Post by snapper-916- »

dude glock, gj, u just motivated me 2x. :)
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Another idea is to get a running buddy. I find running with somone else makes me go longer and faster. We both don't want to give up first so we push very hard.

Thats another thing though if your having trouble sometimes now for lack of motivation i wouldn't worry to much if its every now and then. Reason being as long as your not a jerk you will have other Ranger wannabes pushing you to make it through if your struggling. You really can dig deep if people are helping you out. Not to mention having a few Nco's spewing curse words and yelling at you :)
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, your right about being able to run further with a buddy than by yourself. A while back when I first started to go out running I'd turn up the tunes on my walkman, that seemed to take my mind off of the running and onto something alittle more pleasant. I stopped using the walkman because I figured that I won't have it in RIP so I shouldn't have it now. But it is a good way to start off, I recommend it. Another thing that sucks about running is that when I can see my destination off in the distance I realize how far off it is and I start getting tired. I started to run looking 15-20 ft. in front of me so I wouldn't run into that problem. Just be careful where you run.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Yes, i do the same thing. Usually have the headphones playing out loudly getting me going. I mean its hard sometimes to get that push you need to keep on going by yourself. Usually a few good tunes on my mp3 player fix that though. I had the chance to run with a friend a few times so far, and man i could run 2x as far no problem. Its really alot of fun doing.... Sometimes the silent pat pat of your feet on a lonely road can drive you crazy after a few weeks :x I just can't wait for the runs in Basic,Rip or whatever. Running in a group is great. I mean who wants to be the first one to drop out of a run. I know i don't want to be. Though i'm sure noone on these boards should have trouble. We all seem pretty motivated and determined. Rip is only 3 weeks just need to tough it out, i really don't think it will be as bad as we think. Though its better to think its impossible now, will make you work that much harder. Oh man i'm rambling on! I need to find some Ranger wannabees in real life to talk with hehe :lol:
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Oh poor, poor deadmeat...You can't possibly imagine RIP, so why would you say that "it's only three weeks, it won't be as bad as we think". I think that most people can do PT, but you have never felt the mental and emotional stress, relentless and twisted as it is. People mostly QUIT RIP; they feel that they can't handle any more, 'I just don't think it's worth it'
It's something that is impossible to train for; why do you think the Rangers on this site are always trying to square you all away with advice on ATTITUDE? Your motivation will fail you, you will all want to quit. At some point everybody does...it's what you with it that makes the difference.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Glock as at Abn School now. When I'm at the Rendezvous, I'll see him just before he starts RIP. I have no doubt he'll make it.
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

Running isn't such a bad thing, and it's not what I'm worried about in RIP. I'm not a great runner by any means. My best mile is about a 5:30-45, I have run the 2 mile on a track at 13:03, the best 5 mile time I've ever run is 38:20, and my best 6.2 mile time is 46:something. I'm not a PT god nor am I that great of a natural athlete. I just worked hard to get where I am and now it's not as hard to keep it that way. I find running solo to be better in some ways. I like to talk, I'm just a talky person, but I am able to shut my mouth when the time comes, but when I run with another person I tend to talk because it keeps me from being bored outta my mind. When I talk I run slower and it's harder to run because it throws off my breathing. Running solo does make me run faster because 1) nobody to talk to 2) my running buddies are sometimes slower 3) when you're with another person I naturally run slower

When I run w/ groups I do talk but if I start getting tired I'll just shut my mouth but it can be good because it keeps you very entertained, and you know that EVERYONE is going through exactly what you are, you're not the only one suffering. But the downsides are there too, your group may be much faster or slower than you making it way harder to keep that pace. Many times when I started running I would get left because I was kinda slow and I was running w/ a cross country team that placed 6th in state so I had to show them that I could hack it and wouldn't give up.

The best advice I can give is don't think about how LONG the runs are or how BORED out of your freaking mind you are. Look at the straightaway that you're on, see where the next turn is and think "I just gotta make it there" "I just gotta make it to the top of this hill" make goals that you will attain it makes the runs much shorter.

Don't worry about running if you can already run 5 miles in 35 mins. That's a really good pace and if I could run that fast I'd be focusing on other things.

I used to have MAJOR lack-of-motivation attacks and I'd be like..."Meh I've got X months left til I leave, I'm good" and then I realized how much better I looked and felt when I ran. There's this one girl that I REALLY REALLY like and she's a runner so we conveniently run together :wink:

Find SOMETHING that will always make you want to make yourself better. Right now my motivation is to NOT get sent to Korea so that I can be close with that girl. Maxing the APFT is also another motivation of mine and I'm close, not there, but getting closer everyday

sorry it was so long but I hope that some other DEPers got something out of it(unlikely, I kinda rambled)

Kyle

Return to “The Mosh Pit”