What sticks with you?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: What sticks with you?

Post by K.Ingraham »

Mark.
A contemporary who hung himself in his barracks room.
Mc.
Shot himself a few weeks ago, the Korean War's most recent KIA.

Me? No drama but all the success I've had ever since I left batt I owe batt for bringing out or creating what I needed to accomplish what I did.

War or peace, a complete tour in Regiment will mark you for life. As Mc so graphically demonstrated, it's never over.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

First, I have never been in combat. So forgive the intrusion on this thread.

But what I do remember are the fallen and patriots. Both family members and guys I never knew or perhaps never will. Each and every day of my life. Without exception. People like yourselves who alternate between seriousness and joking when recalling actions the average person wouldn't have the honor or stones to do. It is appreciated. That's not a bumper sticker or commercial. It comes from the heart.

As a WTC survivor, I can also tell you that the disturbing things I remember from that day are often only washed away by the fact that honorable, dangerous American men are Leading the Way. Not in a vengeful way- that would be a dishonor to the memory of those serving and fallen. More in a way which restores my faith in dedication, patriotism and honor.

So next time you can't pay the bills because of crappy pay, wake up in the middle of the night thinking about brothers or ache due to some old nagging injury- remember this; you do/did what most people wouldn't. You were the guy millions could count on when it was desperately needed. You are/were standing ready to protect others no matter what the cost was/is. You are the guy who is eminently appreciated by many in a way that very few on this planet are appreciated. You are the role model I promote with my family; not some rich guy, celebrity, politician or sports player.

Yeah and don't think for a minute I am only sappy. I still shoot like a red-eyed bastard most days.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

RangerX wrote:
Grifter wrote:
Life habits. My wife will tell anyone that listens that we are all brain washed the same. Regardless of time frame. Get us together in the less then secure location and we rarely look at each other but carry on full bown conversations. Always scanning for threats. She swears we "go on patrol" anytime we get with another Ranger in public.
I've actually had other BTDTs spot
Me because of this at public events.

Head on a swivel.
No shit. Clives wedding this weekend...I turn around at one point and am thinking "where the hell did all the Ranger (guests) go?" look around and find Rodetheshortbus and his fam, Retpara and Ranger Bill all outside, in the rain, 25 meters from the front door, holding down the house from a Gazebo. Spent a good chunk of the night out there. which is part of why I got in trouble with the wife. Burned so much time she didnt get her dance..ooops...
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
Roster#253
Ranger

Post by Roster#253 »

April of 2003
RGR Class 8-00
82nd ABN (2nd BCT) 2000-2003 / OIF I
-CO FSO (C/2-325th AIR)
-PL/XO (B/2-319th AFAR)
-RSO (HSB/2-319th AFAR)
-BN FDO (2-319th AFAR)
Vet Center Readjustment Counselor (NJ)
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

RS: An instructor named Voyles.

VN: The heat and incredible smell when exiting the airplane at Tanh Son Nhut.
And the day after sweating day of humping the boonies until the great crashing climax of the tri-border when everything ran together in one surreal episode - 22d BDQ running the 40 km gauntlet, Orie J. and Duncan KIA, the massacre of the ARVNs, the isolation of Ben Het, and finally directing the gunships and F4s in a rare chance to really put it to the little bastards.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

In Ranger school: Got med recycle to the next class -- pinched nerve in right arm. Learning to rappel as a lefty. Knowing there are a lot of things I can do that I didn't think I could.

Combat: Amazed to this day that as a Vietnamese Ranger battalion advisor, I had people who entrusted me with their lives. Engaging enemy targets with massive firepower (FA, gunships, fast movers, slow movers, even Naval Gunfire). Finally taking the fight to the bad guys in Cambodia.

Karl and I living long enough to talk about it.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Jim wrote: Knowing there are a lot of things I can do that I didn't think I could.
Emphasis mine.

Somebody should put that quote in a stone monument for today's and every future generations benefit.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

hey Never,

how bout you come back in a few years and answer your own questions.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mingo Kane
Ranger

Post by Mingo Kane »

KW Driver wrote:hey Never,

how bout you come back in a few years and answer your own questions.

Heh heh heh...<evil fucking snicker>.
B Co. 1st/75th 1983-86
Mentor to JTEL1
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I said it so that he can recognize and measure his progression in our profession. it was more of a mentoring/encouraging statement than a fuck-fuck game.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mingo Kane
Ranger

Post by Mingo Kane »

Oh I fully understand what you meant Ranger KW Driver...What you wrote reminded me it would be exactly the same response from a freshly tabbed out SPC 4...I remembered those first days wanting to know everything but having experienced nothing, you find out soon enough and hope beyond all hope you don't fuck up.

Mingo
B Co. 1st/75th 1983-86
Mentor to JTEL1
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

A few things that have stuck with me so far:

The way my asshole slammed shut when hurling myself into the Panamanian sky during OJC. I was a scared shitless, chest thumpin, ready to take the country on my own, but really, REALLY glad when I linked up with another Ranger (my roommate) on the DZ :D, cherry mofo

the look in a small Iraqi kid's eyes when I looked over and realized he had been watching me and his dad fight during a raid on their home.

the weight of a friend of mine's body (Alex French) as I helped carry him to a helicopter
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Mingo Kane wrote:Oh I fully understand what you meant Ranger KW Driver...What you wrote reminded me it would be exactly the same response from a freshly tabbed out SPC 4...I remembered those first days wanting to know everything but having experienced nothing, you find out soon enough and hope beyond all hope you don't fuck up.

Mingo

fair enough, but more importantly, I wanted him to understand my intent. re-reading, it looked open to interpretation.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

What sticks with you?

Post by IEDmagnet »

My LT walking in our tent fighting tears when a truck got hit and all inside were killed, and the feeling of intense hatred mixed with pissed off sadness as we raced each other to the trucks as an impromptu QRF for them.

That's one of many, I have to agree with KW though. Some stuff can't be described, it must be endured.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

2 pages and no one has mentioned it yet- dysentery. The 2 cheek sneak. The in-country diet plan. Many names, same results.
Waking up at 0-dark-early from the first decent sleep you've had in however many days or nights and realizing you caught Saddam's revenge. And knowing that if you move, you WILL shit all over everything, whether you want to or not. So you lay there, trying not to move, trying not to even think about moving, and then, like a starter's gun going off for the big race BANG you're off and moving at a dead sprint like your head is on fire and your ass is catching, trying to run quick enough to stay ahead of the stench of shit that is clinging to all the hairs on the back of your legs, making it to the shitter just in time to look like the Harry from Dumb and Dumber after the laxative kicks in.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”