BHD Deluxe Edition reviewer

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Swamp_Fox
Embryo

BHD Deluxe Edition reviewer

Post by Swamp_Fox »

You all are gonna love this guy who did a review of the Deluxe edition....it made me cringe. :x

The guy gave it 2 stars out of five
Stupid, July 6, 2003
Reviewer: Scott Andrew Hutchins (see more about me) from Indianapolis, IN USA
So this film is better than Scott's _Gladiator_, which isn't saying much, _Gladiator_ being up there with _Rocky_ and _The Greatest Show on Earth_ as films least deserving of Best Picture, and it has a good cast including Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Orlando Bloom, Sam Shepard, and Tom Sizemore, but if I had been one of those marines, I'd feel insulted by this movie, despite the tribute to the fallen officers at the end, which seem more to give the picture clout.

This is one of the worst war movies ever made. It's 2 hours of video game action and 5 minutes of character development, and 10 minutes of credits. All the best war movies let you get to know the characters, and this does it less than the most stereotypical films, do, and only then in the worst way possible, in the form of what Stanley Kubrick called the "mandatory" scenes he and his source novel avoided in _Full Metal Jacket_. That created a film with much richer characters and much more believable fights in just under 2 hours. _Black Hawk Down_ has none of what made _Full Metal Jacket_, or _Platoon_, or _Catch-22_, or _MASH_, or _Three Kings_, or _No Man's Land_, or even Armando Crispino's _Commandos_ so good. In _Full Metal Jacket_, the Vit Cong were an unseen enemy. Here, the Somalis are the evil hordes of _Dawn of the Dead_, a mass of savages, or "skinnies" as they're called, who are there to be slaughtered in a war that was supposed to help the people. The few Somali we see as more than cannon fodder are melodramatic villains ill-befitting a realistic film about war.

None of the necessary irony that a failed mission needs to have comes through, nor any of the tragedy. Since we don't get to know these people at all, Scott goes the Paul Verhoeven route by having them die the most gruesome ways possible--getting halved, a severed finger, an exploding body that looks straight out of _Dawn of the Dead_ (why is Scott getting good work when Romero is getting DTV?).

When someone is severely abused by the system, such as Alex Murphy in Verhoeven's _RoboCop_, a gruesome death can work effectively as a means for gaining sympathy, but routine horrific war violence has minimal impact without giving good definition to the characters who are being harmed. _Saving Private Ryan_ gave us graphic war violence, even if some of it was a little over the top (the guy picking up his own arm in a lame reference to Kurosawa's _Ran_, which probably should have been snipped), but it gave us characters to focus on who were viewing on this, and we learned more about them as the film progressed, and even while it relied on the tired one-of-each style, they were fleshed-out characters. These are ciphers.

On the technical point, the CGI is far less noticeable than it is in _Gladiator_. The artificiality of all the scenes made that film feel like a video game because of the look, even though the bad writing was pure Hollywood. This film is a live-action video game with "cinema scenes" to advance the story. All of this exemplifies why Jerry Bruckheimer productions [stink]and why he ought to be involved in video game development. His style is inherently distancing since it fits in so well with interactive media, and watching video games without playing them is rarely exciting for me anymore. Maybe I grew up and Bruckheimer didn't. Scott should have known better, but he was never that great a director, and it's all been downhill for him since _Blade Runner_, despite the honors he has undeservedly received.

Almost everyone I know had a similar reaction to this film, but it kept coming up in my Amazon ratings, and got largely good reviews, so I gave the film a look. Critics have to watch hundreds of films a year, and so perhaps they'd be best equipped to compare due to having that broader knowledge base. Why this picture struck so many so strongly when so many war films in recent memory are so much better I don't understand. Perhaps the convergence of cinema and video games has become so strong that what I regard as tastelessness and simple-mindedness is now regarded as classy. The extra star is for the cast that had to be in this dreck with barely functional lines and for the use of color, particularly greens, Scott imbues on it. --This text refers to the DVD edition.

Marines???? wtf?! Wonder if I should email him hehe?
You can get more info on him here..http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm ... -glance/-/
Son of Ranger Byrd (Sgt 1st Class) (B co. 3rd Ranger Batt. '84 -'87 or so)
R.L.T.W.
Swamp_Fox
Embryo

Post by Swamp_Fox »

Guess that link didn't work, sorry :?
Maybe this will do.

About Scott Andrew Hutchins:

Name: Scott Andrew Hutchins
Nickname: scottandrewhutchins
E-mail: scottandrewh@comcast.net
Reviewer Rank: 4586
About me: I am a recent college graduate with a film emphasis planning to go to film school for graduate study. I like more artistic films, and have a predilection for fantastic subject matter. My music tastes are particular toward contemporary classical, film scores, and progressive rock. My wish list is more for my own benefit (improving my recommendations, tracking things I'm interested int but don't have) than an expression of greed.
R.L.T.W.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Sounds like a gay assclown to me.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

While reading his "review", my brain kept associating his words with a face from my distant memory. I kept seeing the face of that upidy, thought he knew it all but didn't know shit, whiny ass professor that played in Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School". I expected to read the word "widgett" just any friggin minute.

Hey Scott! I have a question for you, there, tough guy. You have argued that the gore in the absence of true character developement serves no purpose other than to entertain those with shallow minds. How, then, do you explain that fact that my wife, college educated at the University of Tennessee as well as Vanderbuilt University (hence, not shallow minded), was so distraught by the story that was told, that she was physically ill through more than half of the movie, and for a large part of the next day? Enquiring minds want to know! (Here is a hint: She has worked in surgery, and until she became pregnant with our daughter, was in the vascular surgery program at UT, so it definitely wasn't the blood on the screen that made her ill). She was a fucking wreck after sitting through opening night of that movie.

If "films" are your specialty, you should know that if they spent the time required to deeply develope all the necessary characters, and still tell the story, the damn movie would have been ten fucking hours long.

What a jack-ass. He needs to stick to widgetts.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Swamp_Fox
Embryo

Post by Swamp_Fox »

Hey Creeping Death, his email is right there, use it to your advantage :wink: :lol:
R.L.T.W.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

EarthPig2/75 wrote:Sounds like a gay assclown to me.
I couldn't have said it any better.
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

After reading that article i just have to say that if this ass munch faggot was to ever come into my presence and speak to me of my fallen borthers like the way he posted his review I would take a bayonet and shove it from the bottom or base of his neck into his skull severing his brainstem then watch as his lifeless body drops to the ground then ask him what he thinks of character develpment now.
Swamp_Fox
Embryo

Post by Swamp_Fox »

You should have seen the pic of him lmao :lol:. Damn...
R.L.T.W.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Swamp_Fox wrote:Hey Creeping Death...
That's RANGER CD to you, SF - those creds in your sigfile ain't yours.
DO NOT PM ME
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Man, oh man....I sit here at this friggin keyboard, just wanting to fucking detonate. I have seen other bad reviews of BHD in Playboy, with a shitload of PC commentary from one of the actors who played PVT Joe Snuffy backing up the shitbag reviewer...it sucks.

I've read the book, seen the DVD, went to the opening in the theatre; I puked in the alley behind the theatre after seeing it on 'the big screen' for the first time. I didn't like the book. Even though the movie moved me physically and emotionally, I didn't like it either. I don't agree with Mr. Educated Movieman. I am blessed to know a large majority of the guys who were in MOG. I trained with them; I drank with them. I laughed at the horrifying stories with them, in that 'it's so terrible, but the only way to deal with it is inappropriate laughter' way. I held, on more than one occasion, several different MOG vets as they broke down crying. I tell you the truth, you have never seen pain like that in your life unless you personally know a veteran who is reliving horror in front of you.

On one hand, I think that it is a good thing that someone deemed it a 'worthwhile' story to tell; but the story has always been there. Most of the MOG guys I know don't like the movie. My best bud worked as a technical advisor to the movie; and he hasn't even seen it. He told me that he only worked on it so that it would be even remotely accurate. Other guys I've gone to see it with have fallen asleep halfway through; a true testament to how much worse the fire was, if you can believe that. As far as the "cliche" injuries and deaths; well guess what? That's one of the only accurate things in the movie. I suppose the reason that it may seem cliche and so much like other movies is because THAT SHIT HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE. It's not something hollywood came up with to make it more interesting. I suppose that concept is just too far removed from offices and cubicles to be believed.

Without ever wanting to convey the image that I think their story shouldn't be told, I truly believe that they should never have made that movie. In my, and other more 'quailified' opinions, it has served two very disappointing purposes:
1)It has hardened the uneducated tree-huggers on the BS that military intervention in any capacity is wrong.
2)It has become a pointless 'recruiting' tool during a time when our nation needs real warriors, not stupid kids wanting to be some perversion of a modern day superman.

This movie does not tell their story true; it dishonors them, making them have to settle for something, ANYTHING, so that the American people will at least remember where they were one Sunday afternoon. They remember.

Oh BTW DEPshits, I suppose I should be really touched that your opinions reflect what you THINK you feel about what someone writes about BHD. I'm not. I could really care less what you think about the movie, the book, or some reviewer's writings. So feel free to not elaborate on them to me.

RLTW.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

And to you, Swampfox, If you ever address another Ranger like you're HIS peer, I will personally drive 30min outside of Ft. Bragg and monkey-stomp your fucking guts out. Roger that? Like the Admin said, you are not your 'daddy'. Since we are going down this road, don't even THINK of pullin' that 'i know Al Lamb' shit. Big Fucking Deal.

Besides, MY dad can kick YOUR dad's ass, any day....
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You KNOW you're hurting, career-wise, when you've got to write and post reviews to Amazon.com to try and draw attraction to yourself as writer. Pathetic.

As far as his review of the film, seems like more of a suck to Kubrick and a bash on Ridley Scott and Bruckheimer than anything. And some of his criticisms do hold water - there was actually little character development in the film because they chose to saturate the moviegoer in a very fast paced combat action, in addition to which, they had to compress 18 hours of events taking place simultaneously across the city of Mogadishu.

I went to see the movie with other Rangers here in town and when it was over, we emerged fairly drenched in sweat, feeling overwhelmed with a desire to hurt Clinton and those who chose to not send the proper support over, and also depressed at the sudden end to the action. So, its my opinion that rather than waste time doing character development, the film makers seem to have wanted us to experience as much of the intensity of combat as possible, despite the fact that we were in the theater instead of Mogadishu. It was about his wanting us to experience, through saturation and intensity, instead of 'watching them' through storytelling.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”