How do you answer?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

JPHawk

How do you answer?

Post by JPHawk »

Rangers, Veterans, current Soldiers, and military Family,

I am posting this topic because I have recently become extremely disappointed and, at times, angry with a question I have been asked a lot lately. As I explained in my introduction my twin brother is currently at Ft. Benning going through BCT and will be attending OCS after the first of the year. I am not from a military family so this is all new to me. Lately, when I talk to some people (friends, acquaintances) and they learn of my brother's choice to enlist in the army the first question I frequently get is a puzzled, half-condescending "Why?" Since when did serving our country become a second-tier profession to people? I am very proud of my brother for enlisting and I can't wait for the day I can stand next to him not just as a brother, but a Brother In Arms. I ask this because I am curious if I am wrong for letting this bother me as much as it does. How does everyone deal with these kinds of questions? Thank you.
RangerX
Ranger

Re: How do you answer?

Post by RangerX »

JPHawk wrote:Since when did serving our country become a second-tier profession to people?
In this country, since the Revolution. It has been asked for millennia in other places before that. Not everyone is willing to fight for their own liberty, never mind that of others.

When I was younger, my reply was "So you don't have to".

Now I just look at them in a way that makes them very uncomfortable.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

The variation on RangerX's reply that I used to use was "Because you are a lazy pussy who won't."

I'm a little nicer now.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

If they don't understand it is nothing you can explain. My best answer is to call them a giant festering pussy and be on your merry way
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Simply;

My brother is a Patriot who loves our country and he has decided to protect and defend it for all those who can't, won't or don't understand what our country , our freedoms and our way of life represents. He honors his responsibilities by serving.

If they then don't understand that, chances are they never will!
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Since when did serving our country become a second-tier profession to people?
It hasn't.

Ours is a HUGE nation, and unless you get around, your views will be skewered by your local culture. Come on down south, or out west, and you will find a vastly greater percentage of the population that respects service, and our armed forces.

In this time of war, I have had quite a few citizens walk up, say "Thanks", and or have had my bill paid by some unknown citizen at cafe's and diners.
I ask this because I am curious if I am wrong for letting this bother me as much as it does.
No.

Absolutely not.

You apparently have common sense and honor.

Those are good traits.

The security of our nation, the relative peace, and economic prosperity western civilization has enjoyed since the closing days of WW II, is directly attributable to the American soldier. Whether they were ever asked to fire a shot in anger or not, the fact remains that without the threat of direct American military intervention, the world would have been a much more unstable place.

For years, our troops have facilitated stability and economic growth and prosperity around the world, and it pisses me off that many don't acknowledge that fact.

How does everyone deal with these kinds of questions?
You answered your own question...
My twin brother and I have always believed deep down that we have a duty to serve our country.
I have always felt a duty and obligation to honor the sacrifices made by my forefathers. They did what others COULDN'T do, or WOULDN'T do in order to allow the rest of society to carry on with their daily lives in peace and prosperity.

There has always been, and always will be, a need for good men to stand up and fight, or be ready to fight, for their nation, and there will always be a need for good men to lead them.

This board is filled with such men.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I don't think anything else can be added to what was posted above.... that was a great answer to you question.

I tend to feel like some of the others though, If they have to ask they wouldn't understand.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

You and your twin will have so much to be proud of when you have served our nation honorably. In future years you will look on lesser men and their discomfort will be written on their faces. Concentrate on being the best Soldier you can; make it a competition with your brother to see who can be the best. You will both be the winners. Good luck.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
JPHawk

Post by JPHawk »

Thank you, Rangers and Veterans for your time and your sincere responses. I will be sure to heed all the advice given.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

JPHawk wrote:Thank you, Rangers and Veterans for your time and your sincere responses. I will be sure to heed all the advice given.
In the American South they have a way of answering questions like that in a way that eliminates any further questions. You take a deep breath and exhale with a sigh, and as you are slowly shaking your head side to side, gently grasp the questioners upper arm and with a gentle half-smile say, "Bless your heart."
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

How about this retort; "why not?" I would like to hear their answer, which is generally some fallacious, ill-grounded, left-wing tripe they learned in school or from their liberal parents who would not last five minutes in an intellectual debate on the subject.

Being "second-tier" is in the eye of the beholder. So for example, I never considered George Washington, Patton, Alvin York, LaFayette or any CMH winner as second tier. Anybody calling those men "second-tier" probably couldn't find his ass with both hands and probably lusts for the neighbors cat.

The most successful people I have met in the business world are ALL veterans- bar none. You know why? Because that's where they learned humility, leadership, self-respect, sacrifice and to give of themselves in a way people who did not have that experience are incapable of.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Ranger Dan has made a comment that has repeated itself on this wesite.
There are those people who greet each day thankful for the men and
women that presevre and defend our constitution and way of life. There
will always be those few who view the military with a jaundice eye.
As others in this thread have said....best just to let them go their way.
What is the answer to the question? We few, we happy band of brothers.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The best answer I ever heard was when a friend of mine told his son: "The reason I went to Viet-Nam was so I'd have a good answer when you asked me, 'Daddy, what did you do in the war?'""
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “The Mosh Pit”