Interesting remarks from A Marine Vietnam vet.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

cbiwv
Tadpole

Interesting remarks from A Marine Vietnam vet.

Post by cbiwv »

This is his response to someone claiming the Rangers are not up to Marine infantry standards.

I read for a good long time, on a different forum, an ongoing discussion among some very seasoned very experienced USMC reconners and Team guys from the sniper community-----some of these guys with lots of real world experience as civilians and as Marines. Several of them said the 75th Ranger Regiment was the finest infantry outfit in the world.

Having never been a Ranger or a member of the 75th I only know what I read.
2nd Armored div(FWD)1990-1992
1st Infantry div(Desert Storm)1991
101st Airborne(18th FA Bgde)1992-1994
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Interesting remarks from A Marine Vietnam vet.

Post by Slowpoke »

Let me relate a true story and then I'll make my remarks. It was August of 1966 and about 30 of us from the 173rd LRRP were in Nha Trang to attend the last class being taught by Det B-52, Project Delta, 5th SF. The next class would be Class 1-66 of MACV Recondo School. In the class with us were 12 ROK Marines and 6 US Marines....not your ordinary Marines, Force Recon. I won't go on about the PT Test the first day, lots of guys have and the horror stories are true. An SF Instructor asked for volunteers to rappell out of a Huey at 100' AGL. Now I loved to rappell so I vollunteered. Being the smart-ass that I am, when they gave the signal to go, I bounded off the skid and just let go with my brake hand. I'm banziiiing to the ground and about 20 feet up I grab the rope and pull it behind me for all I'm worth. With the rope stretch and what little I slipped down the rope, I came to rest gently on the earth......with the glove on my right hand smoking badly. I threw the glove off and stomped it out like I did it every day and started to walk off when I heard one of the bad-assed Force Recon Marines remark, Fuck you, I ain't rappellin' from that high! I never had a lot of respect for Marines after that!

Todays Ranger does things routinely that we never dreamed possible.....there is no comparable soldier in ANY country in the world, and that includes US Marines.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I remember being in Afghanistan when the invasion of Iraq Kicked off in 03' and seeing a Marine in a news article and thinking to myself....

"Wow...with that K-pot, K-vest, M16 with no optics or LTD's, and the PVS-7's he had, he looked just like we did when we invaded Panama..... FIFTEEN FREAKING YEARS AGO!"

Poor bastards. Fall under the budget of the Navy they do...

The Marine Corps does a lot of things well, however, they also do some seriously stupid shyte, and I would compare their training level to any typical leg unit within the Army.

Certainly not at the proficiency level of our Ranger Battalions when it comes to direct action missions....not even close.
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

My father, who is a Vietnam era Marine, agrees with you Dan about the Rangers being far superior to the Marines.
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

The current "Baby Rangers" know they are the best. They don't have to say anything...
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

cbiwv wrote:This is his response to someone claiming the Rangers are not up to Marine infantry standards.

I read for a good long time, on a different forum, an ongoing discussion among some very seasoned very experienced USMC reconners and Team guys from the sniper community-----some of these guys with lots of real world experience as civilians and as Marines. Several of them said the 75th Ranger Regiment was the finest infantry outfit in the world.

Having never been a Ranger or a member of the 75th I only know what I read.
What is the point of this entire post?

Who is "he" and why should anyone here give a flying fuck what an obscure person thinks about the Regiment?
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

This is something I have heard or have read alot of people debating about. I thought it would make for good conversation.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cbiwv wrote:This is something I have heard or have read alot of people debating about. I thought it would make for good conversation.
Sounds more like a "pecker checker" conversation. Apples and oranges...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

Jim wrote:
cbiwv wrote:This is something I have heard or have read alot of people debating about. I thought it would make for good conversation.
That wasn't my intention.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

cbiwv wrote:
Jim wrote:
That wasn't my intention.
It's ok, we know you're confused after wearing an Airborne should sleeve insignia while serving in an Air Assault unit.....bwahaha!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

It's ok, we know you're confused after wearing an Airborne should sleeve insignia while serving in an Air Assault unit.....bwahaha![/quote]

Silly Ranger. :)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”