Surviving the Cut

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Re: Surviving the Cut

Post by RangerX »

Never had the opportunity to attend, but I watched a bunch of folks join the Papillon Squad and I think the mentality is pretty close.

Nobody wants to quit Ranger School, or Battalion for that matter, in a memorable way. Rather they preferred to slip in to the shadows of obscurity and wallow in their shame out of the scrutiny of those that chose to drive on.

Again, talking about the Papillon Squad. But I'd wager it's the same.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RangerX wrote: they preferred to slip in to the shadows of obscurity and wallow in their shame out of the scrutiny of those that chose to drive on.
You hit it right on the head. The quitters always wanted to "talk" where and when they could not be viewed by their peers. It also depended on the RI at the time. When I was walking Rangers hardly ever quit and I think it was because of me, not that I was great but that they hated me so much they didn't want to give me the satisfaction.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Silverback wrote:
RangerX wrote: they preferred to slip in to the shadows of obscurity and wallow in their shame out of the scrutiny of those that chose to drive on.
You hit it right on the head. The quitters always wanted to "talk" where and when they could not be viewed by their peers. It also depended on the RI at the time. When I was walking Rangers hardly ever quit and I think it was because of me, not that I was great but that they hated me so much they didn't want to give me the satisfaction.
Hate is an amazing motivator. There were several times in my brief career where I had sand in my vaseline, but pure hatred of my squad leader gave me the drive on I needed.

Of course, my hatred was justified. After all he got banned here. :twisted:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
DangerClose
Ranger

Post by DangerClose »

Someone said it perfect earlier - I don't think the 1 hour gave the whole idea of the 'grind' that went on everyday. I can't even remember how many ants or spiders I killed laying on the perimeter for hours pulling 'security' and looking back in the middle as you see an occasional RI ghost (walking stick with glow in the dark tape) by yelling random shit at the leadership.... while you battle the 'Z' monster.

I remember feeling it was like a game show - but the bad kind where you were just sitting on the fringes waiting for your roster number to be yelled into the night and getting pulled into a mission that was fucked 6 hours earlier and it was just handed to you.

Nothing said it better than the 'lost Ranger' discussion and everyone doing midnight pushups - hahahah. We did the same thing but it wasn't so brief, we were down for HOURS for a set of lost NODs that someone had in their ruck the whole time...
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I was yelling at my tv during the show, at the fucking quitters.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Just catching up....the only reason I remember quiters is because a supposed SF SGT. I was literally one yr old in the Army, pure battboy rage, went in thinking I was the shit. The SFer and I went a verbal round about who was better. Then a certain RI named SSG B. (most my timeframe will remember him) stepped out of the Ranger Shack and we were face down eating Benning red sand. All the time he was asking who wanted to quit. And low and behold 1/2 hr into it the SFer stood up and quit. My ego SOARED. Unfortunately 2 months later I doubled no-goed patrols in Mtns. Damnit. I remember having a meeting with the School Commander back at Benning then going home but in that whole process I felt completely alone, there where others there with me but I dont remember a soul who made that that ride with me. I returned a month later and thankfully went straight thru.

When this show hit the net.. someone please post it up..I would like to see it.
Last edited by Grifter on August 20th, 2010, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RangerX wrote:Hate is an amazing motivator. There were several times in my brief career where I had sand in my vaseline, but pure hatred of my squad leader gave me the drive on I needed.

Our old friend Hate was a student in a different company when I was an RI. During an ambush patrol I was grading I had a Hoffman device go off in my hand which was a fairly catastrophic injury. He mentioned that some of the students may have been "happy" I got "Blown up". I think that indicates that "hate" is the correct word to use.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

It was just another reminder that the tab is earned.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

fatboy wrote:
75rangermom wrote:my son said they were there filming when he went through Benning the first time. Let's see that was sooooo long ago - I think he started in March. Ha ha - he's still at it in second phase now. Fool just refuses to quit! I am so proud but will his digestive system and sleep pattern ever be normal again? How long can someone go on limited amounts of food and rest? I think he's determined to find out. Is there an ultimate limit on recycles? I mean geez we still have the lovely swamps to go and I don't know how long he intends to hang out there!!

I would say your boy is fully prepared to get his Tab or come back on it, and if there is still a recycle limit, he hasn't hit it yet. And sleep and eating will go back to normal eventually- he'll just eat anything he can that isn't nailed down and sleep anywhere at anytime until he's recovered.
sitrep - son is in swamps!! finally! 3 darby, 2 mountains, lets hope 1!!! swamps. Never quit.
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
MattPJA
Embryo

Post by MattPJA »

Honestly I was pretty annoyed with the show. Am I the only one who thought they spent almost all their time on the first 2 weeks and then barely screened the rest of the training?

On the otherhand I saw the show on Marine Recon and it was pretty much the same thing. Possibly the DOD thought they shouldn't let the training of our elite forces go on tv :|
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I think they max the shows to show the drop outs. RS dropouts who quit or fail generally do so in the first two weeks. I remember watching people drop and thinking that my odds got better every time. Very schadenfreude.

The Recon 1SG said it best - they weren't there to break them. That was clear in how they allowed some folks (who would have been dropped from RS) to continue.

The PJ indoc was tough just for the swimming. Blacking out underwater is no joke.

I love all of these shows. They remind me to embrace the suck and motivate me to get my ass off the couch and do stuff.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I watched the combat diver episode last night, was suprised to see one of my old squad leaders on there. I am also kind of suprised at the lack of PERSEC on these shows. I mean, its one thing to show a bunch of guys trying to make it through a selection school, but combat diver is not that.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Silverback wrote:
RangerX wrote:Hate is an amazing motivator. There were several times in my brief career where I had sand in my vaseline, but pure hatred of my squad leader gave me the drive on I needed.

Our old friend Hate was a student in a different company when I was an RI. During an ambush patrol I was grading I had a Hoffman device go off in my hand which was a fairly catastrophic injury. He mentioned that some of the students may have been "happy" I got "Blown up". I think that indicates that "hate" is the correct word to use.

I went to the same class as Hate and an RI in, I want to say Darby, had one of those go off in his hand. It was during a thunder/lightening storm and the RTO keyed his mike and BAM! Off goes the Hoffman device. It mangled his hand something fierce and I would have probably jumped for joy had it not been for the fact I was blind and deaf for about five minutes. That wasn't you by chance was it?
Last edited by The Holmchicken on September 9th, 2010, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “The Mosh Pit”