I never though it would be so hard...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

LN-

If it helps, I know EXACTLY how you feel....welcome to the world of "Chairborne Rangers." I wouldn't give up yet, though. Many times, if you are persistant enough and pull enough strings, things can take a turn for the better. Give Plavney a call before you throw in the towel. Good luck, Bro.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Tell me about it. I've kicked myself in the ass ever since I left. At the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. The docs told me that my Rangering days were over, due to my loss of lung capacity. I bucked up and said that if they wouldn't let me be a Ranger, then I wasn't doing anything else.

If I would have stayed in and got a little more rank, maybe I could have at least went to RTB and been an RI, been a Sniper School Instructor, or even went on the trail and been a Drill Instructor. I won't ever know, cause I came out, and now, it would take a miracle to get me back in at ANY MOS.

So, it's Chairborne Ranger, Ft. Livingroom for me for the rest of my days. I make my living behind a desk. I've gotten fat. I've gotten out of shape. I gonna go bald. And I'm getting older every day.

Oh well. I guys it was an unrealistic expectation to think that I could stay a hard assed, buff, Airborne Ranger that knew my shit and didn't take any of yours for the rest of my life. My mind is still hard as nails, but my body has gotten soft. Sixty hours per week behind a desk will do that to you. That is, unless you're a friggin' vegan.

I'd better shut up. If we keep on, they will start another board where they will make us old farts go to piss and moan.

Maybe Plavney can hook you up.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Sorry to hear that Scott.
S&I
Ranger

Post by S&I »

Leatherneck, I am really sorry to here about what happened to you. I did find this post over at armybasic.org and thought it might be of some help. This was posted from a guy who needed 3 different waivers and did not give up on any of them:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My waiver story is a long and frustrating process. It turned out good in the end. Just a note: I did not write my congressman to get this. This was all done with a lot of work by my recruiter and I.

The amazing thing is I needed 3 waivers. 1 for astma, 1 for moral (both of these were MEPS required waivers) and 1 for a felony arrest waiver (for the Army) when I was 16 (22 now). I was not convicted of the crime because I did a juvenile alternative program. However, the Army looks at this as being guilty.

So before I went to talk to a recruiter I set up appointments with civilian doctors. One was for a pulminary functions test and one for a psychological consult. I passed both fine. I did this because I wanted to show my recruiters that I really wanted to get in and to show the MEPS Doctor that I wasn't joking around.

I brought my consults to the recruiters office. They were very willing to work with me because I showed iniative. Now this process started back in November of 2002.

After they got the go ahead to process me from there CO i went to meps with all my paper work. I explained everything to the MEPS doctor and needless to say he was very impressed with what I brought him. However, he told me he would still have to DQ me but that he would recommend me for both waivers.

He also included my med papers that I brought with the Med packet because it would show good on my moral and character standing. After about a month and half both those waivers came back approved. It was now about the beginning of February.

Then the hard part. Getting the felony waiver. I was told all along this would be the toughest. I found out later on that the Recruiting battalion I am apart of only get 2 or 3 approved felony waivers a year. The thing with felony waivers is that the recruiting company, recruiting battalion, and a general in Fort Knox has to sign off on them.

So we got all my criminal paper work together. I had to show them that everything was completed as far as the charges go. I had to get 4 referrals from people (employers, friends, neighbors) to try and show my moral standing.

When all this was collected I had to go see the Battalion XO. I sat down with him for about 30 minutes. He asked me all the questions. Are you sure you want do this?etc etc etc...By the end of the conversation he went ahead and recommended me for the waiver. He sent the packet up to Fort Knox. This was at the end of February.

Then the waiting game began. I waited and waited some more. Patience was the key here. And I had NONE. I was bugging my recruiter once a week. nothing, nothing and more nothing.

After 2 months, yes 2 months, it finally came back, approved. I enlisted into the Army on May 5th.

So after nearly 6 months I got all three waivers. The key is to show determination, patience and even a little trust that your recruiter will work for you. I've talked to people needing waivers before and they were upset because there recrutiers were not working for them. Recruiters are busy people. If you are one of the special circumstance recruits, like me, do alot of the work, like gathering paper work, yourself. And show the iniative!! Good luck to anyone who may need it. And I'm sorry about the length.

Now for a little disclaimer: This was just my experience. I am not a recruiter nor an expert on military processes for enlistment. Every branch is different. For ex: the Air Force wouldn't even talk to me because of the waivers I needed.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Leatherneck, keep on fighting man and do as the Rangers on the board would say: NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!

Here is some more people that had knee surg and was able to enlist: http://www.armybasic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4995

Good luck and God bless!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”