Lacrosse Help?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Lacrosse Help?

Post by panthersix »

My son's high school is introducing the sport to the school this fall and he wants to be in on the ground floor of the new team because as he says "he's a beast at ultimate frisbee". I also think it's very cool that he wants to go into the sport and be with a group of kids starting a new program. I've never played lax, just football and rugby, so I know some conditioning drills, but nothing that's geared toward the pace and skills needed for lax.

What can I do to support him this summer? He's never played lax but does run 5km at 8min/mile at 13 y/o, he doesn't train, just goes with me when I go. He's 5'10" and about 125lbs. He wants to train this summer and then tryout for the newly forming lax team in the fall.

Anyone have any advice on training for lax? Where can I get a used stick/ball and find drills?

Thanks!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
merlyn
Tadpole

Re: Lacrosse Help?

Post by merlyn »

Ranger panther6,

In regards to your request for possible lax training for your son,
check out http://www.athleticrepublicannapolis.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It is the training
program endorsed by the University of Virginia lax program.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
Rabbit
Tadpole

Post by Rabbit »

Ranger Panthersix,
PM Inbound.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Thanks very much for the replies. It blew the HH6's mind that my first thought on supporting my son's lax desire was to come to ArmyRanger.com! :) Then again, unless you've served in a Ranger unit, you have no idea the diversity and level of athlete in the Rangers.

His last day of school is Thursday and one of his older sisters is graduating from HS on Friday. Once the gathering of the relatives is outta here we'll be off to find a stick and ball.

He is a skinny rascal, but I've been waiting for the growth spurt to taper off a bit before getting him into the weight training. He also got his Black Belt in TKD a couple of years ago. My whole family took it for years just till the kids and wife got their BB's. So he's GTG as far as knowing what it means to get smacked in the face. :)

Thanks again!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I played Lacrosse for over 25 years. Summer training programs are held by numerous colleges throughout the US. UVA, Johns Hopkins, UNC, and hundreds of others. Lot of former Lacrosse players out in the world and if you posted a "want add" locally, and asked for a Lacrosse mentor to teach stick skills, bet you would get some replies.
Most sporting goods stores can sell or order Lax stuff. Get a stick, couple of balls and gloves. Tell the boy do his stick practice WITH gloves. (Trust me) Couple of hours a day doing stick work will get him the "stick balance and muscle memory to make him at least fundamentally sound.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Awesome feedback! I told him this morning on the way to school about the replies and he was psych'd! Does it matter which type of stick? Which one by position is the best to learn on?

Thanks again! I have his older sister trying to find the coach's email address today in her last day of classes. I want to hook up with him too.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

panthersix wrote:Awesome feedback! I told him this morning on the way to school about the replies and he was psych'd! Does it matter which type of stick? Which one by position is the best to learn on?

Thanks again! I have his older sister trying to find the coach's email address today in her last day of classes. I want to hook up with him too.
Every player I have ever known started as a middy (Mid Field) or attack just because everyone who buys a stick has a beat around stick which is usually the shorter stick. Its where I would suggest he start. I still have a Brine which I have had for 20 years. Renetted it 10 times but the stick and head have held up. Newer golly gee whiz names I dont know. STX is another.

Zonks point of a wall is true. Any wall where he can throw, bouce back, retrieve high, low and ground balls is good.

As to position, faster, more agile and smaller guys usually end up at mid field and attack. (Also Goalie) This aint a size game. Ive seen some Defenders who were small, lethal, and extremely vicious. But, everyone has to learn the stick skills first. Once his coach evaluates him, his position will become clear. I would not invest in a goalie stick unless it becomes evident its what he will play. A good goalie isnt big. Phenominal hand eye coordination and fearless to an onslaught of balls moving at a speed that will make you say..."holy shit". A good shot can move over 100 mph and the ball is a solid rubber one that when properly applied to a persons body can wreck ones sexual future, break and frature arms, shins and able to elicit profanity in extremes.

Never played a sport I enjoyed as much and that has an inherant violence, tactical awareness, and extreme physical activity. 3 or 4 broken colar bones, a couple wrists, at least 20 good fights, and I was able to travel a lot playing it. A Lacrosse junkie will accumulate an assortment of gear equal to or greater than that of a Rangers gun bag. But, I played it from early life (12) till I just couldnt do it anymore. Stopped when I was about 45. Ive played against some of the best in the country (at the time) and never ever regretted taking the field and going at it. If he likes it and gets hooked, he will love it forever.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Rabbit
Tadpole

Post by Rabbit »

I guess a game of one-on-one is out of the question Ranger Andy? =D
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Rabbit wrote:I guess a game of one-on-one is out of the question Ranger Andy? =D

Remember one very important thing grasshopper:

Old age & treachery trump youth and vigor every time.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

RangerX wrote:
Rabbit wrote:I guess a game of one-on-one is out of the question Ranger Andy? =D

Remember one very important thing grasshopper:

Old age & treachery trump youth and vigor every time.
That is the nice way of telling you that the old man is gonna fuck you up
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
redcon1
Ranger

Post by redcon1 »

panthersix wrote:Awesome feedback! I told him this morning on the way to school about the replies and he was psych'd! Does it matter which type of stick? Which one by position is the best to learn on?

Doc,
Be wary of purchasing a used stick. They have changed the NCAA rules recently and the older sticks with "pinched" throats no longer are legal... if he is competing in HS they may have the same rules, maybe not.

Online resource: Laxworld.com in Baltimore. They have everything you need.

Hopefully, his school will supply helmets and pads; Most kids get their own stick and gloves even if they are provided. There is no substitute for getting the stick in his hands and make sure he wears his gloves whenever practicing. If he needs the full compliment of equipment it can get quite pricey: Helmet, Gloves, Arm Pads, Shoulder Pads, and Stick.

My son transitioned to LSM (long stick midfielder) in HS and had a blast hitting kids with a 6-foot stick, and getting the ground balls to transition the team to offense. He even scored his share of goals with the long stick, mostly off of faceoffs or fast breaks.

Good luck getting him going, Lax is an awesome game.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I reckon you can run like the wind cause you don't want the Pastor catching up to yo butt with stick! :shock:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”