Greatest blow job in American history: (cheap pun)

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Greatest blow job in American history: (cheap pun)

Post by K.Ingraham »

Mount St Helens blew her stack thirty years ago today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: Greatest blow job in American history: (cheap pun)

Post by NeverSayDie »

Ranger Ingraham,

Isnt 2nd Batt HQ in that same AO? Where you around when it erupted?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Geez..... :roll:

And here I thought I was gonna see.......well......nevermind.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

NeverSayDie wrote:Ranger Ingraham,

I live within sight of Mt St Helens and saw the ash cloud going up 5/18/80! I spent about a week cleaning volcanic ash out of everything (gutters, air filters, etc.) and getting windsheilds replaced after they were scratched by the ash.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Slowpoke wrote:

I live within sight of Mt St Helens and saw the ash cloud going up 5/18/80! I spent about a week cleaning volcanic ash out of everything (gutters, air filters, etc.) and getting windsheilds replaced after they were scratched by the ash.
Ranger Slowpoke,

thats one hell of a thing to bear witness to... up until I became a sophmore there would always be a news report every year or so that it was erupting, never wrapped my head around why it got so much media attention untill I learned that it was in CONUS and it took out alot of houses. was the lava flow or earthquakes ever close enough to threaten your property?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

NeverSayDie wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:

Ranger Slowpoke,

thats one hell of a thing to bear witness to... up until I became a sophmore there would always be a news report every year or so that it was erupting, never wrapped my head around why it got so much media attention untill I learned that it was in CONUS and it took out alot of houses. was the lava flow or earthquakes ever close enough to threaten your property?
There was no lava flow, just a HUGE explosian and release of ash. There WAS what is called a pyroclastic flow (super hot gasses and ash) that wiped out lots of people and thousands of acres of timber in just a few seconds. An interesting side story to the explosian was that of Harry Truman, the owner of Spirit Lake Lodge. The eighty-odd year old crusty fucker refused to leave his home....he now resides 150' below the ash. My home was never threatened as I live about 80 miles away.....St. Helens is one of those things you can see "on a clear day". They just had another person killed there a few weeks ago. It's an attractive "Day Hike" if you're in good enough shape. He was standing on the rim of the crater when it gave way beneath him. Because of the high swirling winds in the crater, they couldn't get him out until the next day and by that time it was a body recovery mission.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

I saw a couple of small planes that had flown too close to the cloud and came back stripped to the bare metal. Polished 'em up real good!!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

As I recall, the "blow job" put up more stuff into the atmosphere than all the stuff mankind has. And weather patterns were altered for a year or two. All we need is for three or four that size to happen in a single year... That would change the planet more than wildest dreams of Al Gore.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Ranger Bill wrote:As I recall, the "blow job" put up more stuff into the atmosphere than all the stuff mankind has. And weather patterns were altered for a year or two. All we need is for three or four that size to happen in a single year... That would change the planet more than wildest dreams of Al Gore.
Speaking of Al Gore...he fell off the planet.....I hope.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

There WAS what is called a pyroclastic flow (super hot gasses and ash) that wiped out lots of people and thousands of acres of timber in just a few seconds.
not just that, but the steam and hot ash pretty much instantly melted all the snowpack on the mountain. that created practically instantaneous blast/flashfloods/mudslides that took out about 4-5 miles of timber and everything living from the north slope to the north. then all of that flowed down mostly the north and some of the south tributaries and into the rivers. some of the flow got into the Columbia, all the way to the coast, west of Mt. St. Helens.

and had it blown it's top, and not the north face, it would have been much worse.

it's damn sure worth the trip if you can get up to Johnson observatory. rumor was a few years back it might close due to budget cuts.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

NSD: No, check the dates in my tagline & compare.

When I went to the RRA reunion at Lewis in '04 one big change jumped out at me at damn near every turn, which I found a little disconcerting; all those "Volcano Evac Routes" signs everywhere in the Mt Rainier lava flow zones and "lethal burst radius".
Some of my fondest memories involve the views of that mountain but somehow it seems so sinister now, like loving & living with a bi-polor wife or something like that, beautiful & expectant at once.

Nothing was more strikingly beautiful than Rainier on a clear summer evening reflecting the sunset, looming up over us, even at sixty miles away, all glowing bright red with white and pink streaks. The Mountain seemed to move half the distance closer.
A jump on Abrams DZ with that view was a moment worth everything that becoming and remaining a Ranger entailed.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:I live within sight of Mt St Helens and saw the ash cloud going up 5/18/80! I spent about a week cleaning volcanic ash out of everything (gutters, air filters, etc.) and getting windsheilds replaced after they were scratched by the ash.

knocked your hair right off..................... :D
That'll teach him to go outside in the acid rain without a hat on.

RS 9-76

BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I was there when it erupted. Ash was so thick it took paint off many cars, dropped lava rocks on the lawn on base enlisted housing, etc.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Was in Ranger School at the time... missed it.

Shortly after we got back I remember going to Yakima for some exercise or other... like walking on the moon...

poooffff....poooffff....poooffff....poooffff....
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)