MOS advice needed!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

mr02060
Tadpole

MOS advice needed!

Post by mr02060 »

(older post that I decided to move from the intro section)
Just a little update on my intro. I've decided to do the SMP program with ROTC and join the GA National Guard. I'm gonna go for 88m(dad has a trucking business so it seems logical). SMP seems like a good way to get some experience. I'll hopefully ship to Fort Leonard Wood the end of July/ early August. I actually have the chance to do my drilling at my university. They're starting a detachment unit so I when I go to drill I can learn how to be an officer from the instructors from my school. Just thought I'd give a quick update since my path to becoming an Army Officer has changed.

(Another update)
Rangers. I found out today that completing 88M AIT does not allow me to receive my CDL. This was the only reason for choosing this MOS. The MOS I choose now will be immaterial as too which job I get as an Officer upon graduation from ROTC I'm not sure which job I would like to try and get after graduation. If I knew I wanted to do Infantry, I would do Infantry OSUT for the Guard. I was wondering which MOS you Rangers would have chosen if not for aspiring to be a Ranger. Infantry is definitely an option but I would like to hear what else you guys would suggest.
Any and all suggestions are welcome. I know the decision is ultimately up to me but I just want to here from some guys who have BTDT.

Thanks
"Know What Right Looks Like"
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
15:14 2mile
mr02060
Tadpole

Re: MOS advice needed!

Post by mr02060 »

Ranger JLTW!!!, I should have stated earlier that I have a color deficiency that keeps me from certain MOS's. I would love to be an aviator but thats not an option. I'll look into Intel.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

While it would be nice to perform a duty in service that would give you a potential civilian career when, and if, you get out, in my opinion you must select a duty that allows you to be TRUE TO YOURSELF. Only you can decide that.

Do the research, pick one that you will get SATISFACTION performing, and we may be able to offer insight.
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Roger Ranger Dan B 3/75
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Sorry for the lack of clarification Ranger ZoneIV, when I said the 88M MOS would be immaterial I was referring to my NG MOS having no connection to what I am branched out of ROTC. I have decided that I want to try and branch Infantry after college so that is the MOS I will be choosing for the NG. Whether or not I want to go Active Duty or remain in the NG, I'm still not sure. I'll make that decision after some more soul-searching. As of now I'm focusing on getting in top physical condition for OSUT.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Well it looks like there aren't anymore slots available for Infantry training in the time frame I need. Looks like its either 13B or 31B. Any suggestions on which one would be more challenging?
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

13B Artilleryman.
- Pro's: You will serve on a gun team and sling big fucking rounds to blow snot out of baddies. No chicks. Jump slots available in the 82nd, Italy, and Alaska as well.

-Con's: Current operational environment see's arty in static positions. Artillery rounds not used near as often as they should be due to fear of collateral damage. Heavy maintenance requirement, especially if you get stuck in a mech unit. May be tasked to do shit your element is not trained for, like mounted and dismounted patrols in a hostile environment.

31B Military Police.
- Pro's: Excellent choice to garner experience for a later career in civilian law enforcement. Opportunity to advance into CID. Jump slots also available in the areas I mentioned above.

- Con's: Must deal with dirt bag troops and domestic disputes on patrol in garrison. Traffic enforcement....GAY. Must work with chicks, and possibly have chick leadership...ULTRA GAY, must put up with ridiculous drama non-existent in man units, must pretend the 5 foot 120 pound chick is every bit as capable as your 6 foot 200 pound male comrades. May be tasked to do shit your element is not trained for...see above.
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Thanks for the info Ranger Dan B 3/75. I won't actually be performing the duties of my chosen MOS becuase I'm staying in college and my drill location is my University with my ROTC instructors. So I guess the real question is, which one has a funner/ more badass AIT.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

mr02060 wrote:Thanks for the info Ranger Dan B 3/75. I won't actually be performing the duties of my chosen MOS becuase I'm staying in college and my drill location is my University with my ROTC instructors. So I guess the real question is, which one has a funner/ more badass AIT.
First: Always have a back up plan or two. Shit happens, and you may get stuck with that MOS as an enlisted dude, so don't take the choice lightly.

Second: Basic and AIT are extremely "basic" courses, and I wouldn't call ANY AIT "bad ass".

Lastly, it's not about the good time in training as it is about the duty. Choose the one that best fits your personality, and will provide you with good potential job satisfaction.
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Roger, Ranger Dan B 3/75.
With some researching and your pro's and con's list, I've decided to shoot for 13B. I'll find out for sure on Monday or Tuesday if I can get a ship date. Thanks for the help.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

I see I'm a little late chiming in here, and that you made your choice already, but for the sake of posterity (and the fact that Ranger JLTW brought it up), I thought I'd mention something about the Military Intelligence field: if you absolutely hated sitting in classes in high school, it's probably not the best choice! The AIT duration for most of the MI MOS's (35-series; formerly 96-, 97-, and 98- series) is at least 16 weeks of mostly classroom time.

The exception used to be the 96R MOS ("Ground Surveillance Radar Operator" or something like that), which was about a 5 week course. I lost track of that one after I got out of the Army, but I suspect it just merged into an Infantry or Scout specifier, or possibly absorbed into the 13R MOS (Artillery Radar).
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Ranger Dave, I have to complete AIT in order to get the National Guard benefits for school. You are correct about my MOS not really mattering. I'm not 100% certain but I will probably try and branch Infantry after school. However this could change (I've only been in ROTC for a few months so I'm still learning a lot). I tried to get Infantry OSUT but I have a certain time frame to go to basic and AIT because my summer classes end in the middle of July and I have to be back by Dec. 15. My recruiter told me there were no more slots for Infantry in that time frame. He gave me a list of what I could do. The only ones that interested me were 13b and 31b (I have a degree of colorblindness so some MOS's aren't available to me). I've decided that 13b is what I'm going to go for. It's the only combat related MOS available to me. As for going Active or Guard, I will accept my commision upon graduation and go into the Active Army. I'm just doing all of this Guard stuff now to help pay for school and for the experience. I was born and raised in the same town that I go to college and I need to get out of here for a while.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's

Return to “The Mosh Pit”