Downing immortalized in bronze

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Downing immortalized in bronze

Post by garyedolan »

Posted Apr 01, 2010 @ 09:31 PM
PEORIA — A Peoria native's larger-than-life accomplishments are now immortalized.

An 11-foot-tall sculpture of the late Gen. Wayne A. Downing depicted in combat uniform and carrying a rifle was placed this week at the entrance to the Peoria airport, which carries his name.

"It's a beautiful job - he's captured the essence of the man," said Mike Landwirth, a member of the Metropolitan Airport Authority of Peoria and chairman of a citizens' committee that oversaw placement of the sculpture, referring to sculptor Paul Moore.

The bronze likeness, a gift from Texas billionaire and former presidential candidate H. Ross Perot, sits atop a 16-ton block of black granite that is etched with several of Downing's many accomplishments and awards. The project was about two years in the making.

Downing, a retired four-star general, was the former commander of the nation's Special Forces - considered the father of the modern-day Rangers - and was picked by President George W. Bush after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to be the point man for counterterrorism efforts. Downing died July 18, 2007, at age 67 of complications from bacterial meningitis after his immune system was weakened by cancer.

Greater Peoria Regional Airport was renamed in 2008 to Gen. Wayne A. Downing Peoria International Airport to honor him.

Perot, who knew Downing for some 30 years, told the Journal Star in 2008 that he commissioned the sculpture to honor his friend.

"I could tell you Wayne Downing stories forever," Perot said then. "He was a wonderful man, a great general, great leader. . . . I want to make sure that Wayne is properly honored in his own hometown. Anything I can do to help, I ought to do. And so I think my little bit will be to get that big monument in his honor."

Airport officials had discussed placing the statue inside the new terminal building now under construction but settled on its current "point" position because it is so massive.

One of the etchings on the granite base reads, "Rangers lead the way."

Landwirth said the citizens' committee he sits on is discussing plans to build a small park surrounding the statue along with a few parking places and benches so that visitors can get a closer view of the artwork and learn about Downing's accomplishments.

"He was an outstanding individual. . . . He's considered a legend," Landwirth said.
Full Story
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Re: Downing immortalized in bronze

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

The WAD...

Nothing but respect for the man and I was shocked and saddened to hear of his passing.

A fitting tribute indeed.
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

A good man, indeed.

He truely cared about his Rangers.

Rest In Peace, Sir.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Very fitting.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Appropriate -- he was larger than life.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

He gave me a coin after I had lunch with him! 8)
I still have it sooooo.....

Gen. Downing coin check bitches! :D
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I will see your coin cheak ...with his 4 star coin .....

Beers on you
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

I spent about 45 seconds with him in a elevator ride in Washington D.C. once.....

Besides a darn good, kinda quick conversation, I also got a Snickers candy bar from him.

Sooo, I guess I'm doing my pushups now.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

I was lucky enough to have served with him as the RCO, he was the 3rd Col. of the Regiment. One of the first things he did which at the time was not popular was to standardize 1st and 2nd Bn's SOP (he caught hell for that, though nobody would say it to his face) but as we all know it was a wise decision. He made many more but he was a Rangers Ranger through and through and I'm proud to have served under his command.

This is a fitting tribute to a Ranger Officer who carried the torch and made sure it went in the right direction and didn't give a damn about what was "politically correct"

Rest In Peace Sir
~S~

RLTW!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

If anyone can dig up some better pictures of the statue.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The Mosh Pit”