Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Human Terrain System Documentary

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

heartoftexasarmymom wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote: That's kinda hot.

Finally...bloody woman's coming 'round.
Oh my Gawd. :roll:
It was a compliment, woman. Least as close as you will get one from him. Now....NOW would be an excellent time to mash that self activated STFU button. For it is written....In the Book of Heathens, Chapter 6, verse 12...

When thou walketh upon a sleeping wolf thout art given a choice. Thou can poketh the Wolf in the nutsack and encounteth great wrath; or thou can sneaketh away and count thine blessings.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

panthersix wrote:http://lavoiestrategique.net/3.cours/3. ... /intro.pdf

give that look if you can stop spitting on each other for a few minutes :)
Excellent monograph. BTW, I have been unable to find copies of Larteguy's books in print. Heart of tex..., please take a moment and read the document. It reflects a couple of my bad experiences...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Jim wrote:

Excellent monograph. BTW, I have been unable to find copies of Larteguy's books in print. Heart of tex..., please take a moment and read the document. It reflects a couple of my bad experiences...
I've read the Centurions and it was a very good read. I was most impressed by the Counter Intel guy that snuck back into Dein Ben Phu before the fall so he could "experience it"!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

panthersix wrote:
Jim wrote:

I've read the Centurions and it was a very good read. I was most impressed by the Counter Intel guy that snuck back into Dein Ben Phu before the fall so he could "experience it"!
He points out the importance of understanding the customs and traditions of the locals. He also points out the importance of having a long term relationship with our local "clients," qualities that run counter to the way Americans do business.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

panthersix wrote:[I've read the Centurions and it was a very good read. I was most impressed by the Counter Intel guy that snuck back into Dein Ben Phu before the fall so he could "experience it"!
You MUST read 'The Preatorions' as well. That's the 'rest of the story' and is absolutly essential for properly understanding the complex French experience.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

K.Ingraham wrote:
panthersix wrote:[I've read the Centurions and it was a very good read. I was most impressed by the Counter Intel guy that snuck back into Dein Ben Phu before the fall so he could "experience it"!
You MUST read 'The Preatorions' as well. That's the 'rest of the story' and is absolutly essential for properly understanding the complex French experience.
My daughter works at a used bookstore. I have her on the look out for both books. I want to read the Centurions again too.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

David Galula's writings on Algeria are also a good read.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Jim wrote:He points out the importance of understanding the customs and traditions of the locals. He also points out the importance of having a long term relationship with our local "clients," qualities that run counter to the way Americans do business.
This is true in more ways than one Sir, as I've found out through my short experience here in Romania. It doesn't only apply to military operations.

We say "it's not personal, it's business", over here it's not business unless it's personal.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

You know I sat here thinking of about 20 different things I want to say....all of them relateing this fight....Complex does not cover what we are dealing with.....

But the farther I read ....the more pissed off I got ....and I realize that most if not all civilians in our country have no fucking clue....so I aint wasting the fucking energy .....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

rgrpuck wrote:You know I sat here thinking of about 20 different things I want to say....all of them relateing this fight....Complex does not cover what we are dealing with.....

But the farther I read ....the more pissed off I got ....and I realize that most if not all civilians in our country have no fucking clue....so I aint wasting the fucking energy .....
Thanks for posting what you have already posted. My prayers are with you and your troops and you are correct in that we don't know the complexity over there, hell we don't even know the complexity of what's going on behind the scenes on Capitol Hill! My only hope is that America gets something for the sacrifices of our troops in harms way over there.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

An interesting read is the USMC Small Wars Manual 1940. It is based on the counter-insurgency fought during the Banana Wars in Central America.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

heartoftexasarmymom wrote:What a colossal waste of taxpayer money. How does one use "non-violence" to win hearts and minds, when the population at large is uncivilized and understands nothing but violence??? Locals will respond to whomever promises them what they want, allegiances shift with the faintest breeze, money and weapons talk -- that's power, that's protecting their self-interests. These people don't know anything else, and that's how their country has been for centuries ... and I doubt they ever can be "civilized" in any way approaching what our culture considers "civilized".

Our military appears weak, to be expending so much time, effort, so many resources, on "non-violent stabilization" efforts ... which are what? Radio broadcasts ... temporarily mollifying mullahs ... shaming corrupt cops and officials? Puleeeeeze.

And no, I haven't been there, done that ... but I correspond with soldiers and marines who are, who have been, and some of them are in the middle of the worst fighting, and some of them in intel. I'd trust the thoughts and insights of boots on the ground faster than any lace panty privileged academic.
You really have absolutly no clue what is required to fight an insurgency do you ????..

dont you think that getting in the head of what modivates the insurgent base would be important?....how about why a certain tribe does what it does ?......do you realize that some of what we are fighting is misinformation plain and simple ....I would go with the guy that can kill me at will to for talking to the coilition....so would you ....It is survial at its most base level ...I cant make you understand it .....you have never known what it is to wonder what you will eat tonight ...or if the taliban will cut your head off for talking to the wrong person ...or even if you will get blown the fuck up trying to go to work ...

any of the atmospherics uncovered by these teams are invaluble.....ANY information about who we are fighting is usefull ....

we could go in and blow the shit out the whole fucking country ...we are more than capable ....However the russians did that ...at one point there were 20 something DIVISIONS in this country and they got the shit kicked out of them....we have a fraction of that and are makeing headway .....we can beat our heads aginst the wall or we can fight smart...

With all due respect MOM ....go bake some cookies ....pack a care package and send it to your son .....we got the fight ...nothing pisses me off more than someone espouseing an uniformed opinion second hand from a source living at the SPC level .....with no fucking clue what the big picture is.... But then again I am only working my third year in this country ...
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rgrpuck wrote:With all due respect MOM ....go bake some cookies ....pack a care package and send it to your son .....we got the fight ...nothing pisses me off more than someone espouseing an uniformed opinion second hand from a source living at the SPC level .....with no fucking clue what the big picture is.... But then again I am only working my third year in this country ...
Amen, CSM!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

heartoftexasarmymom wrote:PM inbound.
PM returned
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Jim wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:With all due respect MOM ....go bake some cookies ....pack a care package and send it to your son .....we got the fight ...nothing pisses me off more than someone espouseing an uniformed opinion second hand from a source living at the SPC level .....with no fucking clue what the big picture is.... But then again I am only working my third year in this country ...
Amen, CSM!
Roger that, CSM!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”