Improved running with boots over tennis shoes?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Re: Improved running with boots over tennis shoes?

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Ranger Silverback, that was an interesting article.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

There are examples of 45+ year old men rolling to the start line of an Ultra-race no stretching, no warm up and running for DAYS. Normally they aren't wearing "Good running shoes".
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I started running in el cheapo $20 New Balance discount cross trainers, but I'm working on changing my gait. I read the "Born to Run" book and I highly recommend it. It's a good read and it's very motivating if you enjoy running. I also recommend "Chi Running" too.

You really feel the change in running style in your quads more than anywhere else, but it's hard to focus on your gait when I used to just run for 30+ years. A good analogy would be swimming, the better the technique, the more efficient and less tiring it is.....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I am really intrigued by this approach to running. I read a bit on barefoot running and minimalist running, and it really has me wondering if my moderate overpronation would cease to be an issue one adapted to the style of running where the first point of contact is the ball of your foot instead of your heel.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Glad I finally read this thread - thought it was some weird theory of wearing tennis shoes inside boots to improve speed & endurance................
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”