Improved running with boots over tennis shoes?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Caveman's_Kid
Soldier

Improved running with boots over tennis shoes?

Post by Caveman's_Kid »

Hello Rangers,
Outside of the obvious (running more and more). Will running in boots aid in improving my score? I'm scoring over 90 in each event already, but I'm looking for endurance. I'm modifying my current ROP-preperation PT to include running up and down stairs, and I've already sworn off burger king lunches for hitting the track with a 50 pound ruck and tuna cans months ago. Nothing matters more to me then getting to 75th Ranger Regiment and I want to be as physically fit as possible.

V/R,
~Christopher
"Per quislibet facultas necessarius"
~By Any Means Necessary
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Improved running with boots over tennis shoes?

Post by Silverback »

there is some debate conerning the use of running shoes. I have seen research done that points toward a higher probability of injury when compared to leather running flats. Do some research you might be surprised. Personally I never had injuries and I ran in boots for six months straight.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Caveman's_Kid
Soldier

Post by Caveman's_Kid »

Good Afternoon again Rangers,
Please allow me to change the question then. I'm trying to improve my road marching along with run time. For some reason I find it weird (for lack of a better word) to stretch out my step (from 30 inch step to a longer distance) and I've been told that trying to run with a ruck will only cause injury, or greatly increase the chance of getting injured. How else can I improve myself for ROP in regards to running/road marching?

V/R,
~Christopher
"Per quislibet facultas necessarius"
~By Any Means Necessary
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Just run barefooted
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

http://www.militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E-mail Rob.
RS Class 06-06
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Baseplate wrote:Just run barefooted
if you are actually measuring your step...join the AirForce!!!

Ruck when you Ruck....Run when you Run....whatever....

Your foot wear will not determine the suck factor...

If you go OPT 40 and make it to RIP (read the .....IF....) it wont matter what is on your feet. Take care of your feet...that is a given...running is running and rucking is rucking....you will get plenty of both in training...don't worry about boots vs shoes...make sure you can do both and you may be ok....

Edited to add: I was a 90 gunner and if I needed to train, it was in shoes...not fucking boots...

Just sayin'
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Oto-Man wrote:
Baseplate wrote:Just run barefooted
if you are actually measuring your step...join the AirForce!!!

Ruck when you Ruck....Run when you Run....whatever....

Your foot wear will not determine the suck factor...

If you go OPT 40 and make it to RIP (read the .....IF....) it wont matter what is on your feet. Take care of your feet...that is a given...running is running and rucking is rucking....you will get plenty of both in training...don't worry about boots vs shoes...make sure you can do both and you may be ok....

Edited to add: I was a 90 gunner and if I needed to train, it was in shoes...not fucking boots...

Just sayin'
considering the period and length of your service I am not surprised. I'm just sayin'
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

If you want to improve your run time, run a set of hard intervals once a week and a tempo run once a week. On the former, start with 400s on 400 recovery and work up to 800s on 400 recovery @ 90% max heart rate on your work interval, 70% on your rest interval. Start the latter at 15 minutes @ 80-85% of MHR and work it up to 30-60 (if you can handle it) preceded and followed by 10 min warm up/warm down.

There are people who can run in boots and never suffer an injury. There are also peole who can run 70-80 miles a week without injury. Most of us are not in either camp. Get your gait checked by a knowledgeable runner, buy shoes appropriate to your gait, and replace them every 400 miles.

If you run barefoot, do it on the beach.

You may find times in your life when you HAVE to run with a ruck...other than those times, spare your back, hips, knees, and ankles the strain.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

We did plenty of ruck runs when I was in Bat, along with alot of road marching. The old jungle boots we wore back then weren't quite as good for the feet, as the boots out there now. It wasn't a problem back then, but I pay the price now. Had xrays on my feet a few years ago, and the bone spurs on my heels are sick. When they flare up, it feels like stepping on marbles. You don't need to go through that by running in boots, when you don't have to. Get a good pair of running shoes.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

CHCB wrote:...You may find times in your life when you HAVE to run with a ruck...other than those times, spare your back, hips, knees, and ankles the strain.
Sage advice.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

dbmtrman wrote:We did plenty of ruck runs when I was in Bat, along with alot of road marching. The old jungle boots we wore back then weren't quite as good for the feet, as the boots out there now. It wasn't a problem back then, but I pay the price now. Had xrays on my feet a few years ago, and the bone spurs on my heels are sick. When they flare up, it feels like stepping on marbles. You don't need to go through that by running in boots, when you don't have to. Get a good pair of running shoes.
I got my heel spurs too! Guess we qualify for the Cav now? :lol:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Caveman's_Kid wrote:Good Afternoon again Rangers,
Please allow me to change the question then. I'm trying to improve my road marching along with run time. For some reason I find it weird (for lack of a better word) to stretch out my step (from 30 inch step to a longer distance) and I've been told that trying to run with a ruck will only cause injury, or greatly increase the chance of getting injured. How else can I improve myself for ROP in regards to running/road marching?

V/R,
~Christopher
I'm only going to comment on increasing your stride. I've been doing Straight Leg Hamstring stretches (among several others), and my running and faster-walking stride has increased. I have not measured it; but, the stride seems longer and feels more natural, if that makes any sense.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

dbmtrman wrote: Get a good pair of running shoes.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... money.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do you quantify "Good running shoes"?

edited to add

I run in running shoes because it has become a physical and mental habit.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Silverback wrote:
dbmtrman wrote: Get a good pair of running shoes.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... money.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do you quantify "Good running shoes"?

edited to add

I run in running shoes because it has become a physical and mental habit.
What? You don't wear your Peter Pan Getaway Slippers any more? :cry:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”