Diet, Good Health and how to achieve it

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Re: Diet, Good Health and how to achieve it

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Chicken Fried Bacon is not considered healthy.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Chicken Fried Bacon is not considered healthy.
Healthy, like lucky, is multifaceted.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

One item rarely mentioned to eat well is the number of calories one can have on a daily basis. How can you decide the right number of calories for you? Whatever the amt of calories you decide, try to make sure that each category; total fat, total calories, total sodium, total cabohydrates, total protein, etc. does not exceed recommended daily amount nor does it exceed the ceiling amount per day whether you choose approx. 2000 calories, 2400 calories, etc. etc.

A little over two years ago, I used to weight over 300+ lbs. A chart on the internet (calculator included, age, weight, height, male) said I could have 3400 calories. Then I met a Dr. from nutritional (sp?) clinic at the V. A. and (she got back to me 2wks later) that I should not take in more than 2300 calories. Still I searched further and found one site on internet that said whatever weight you desire to be - forumla; your desired weight X's 10 = number of calories your allowed on a daily basis.

So I decided that I wanted to be 190 lbs and times that by 10 & started eating at the 1900 calories daily amount.

In addition to the above formula if you or I ate 500 less calories per day for 7 days that would = 3500 less calories per week and one could lose 1 additional lb.

So for my own plan I could eat 1900 calories if I ate like a 190 man. I began shedding weight (about 1.5 lb per wk) and after a period of time I lost 90 pounds by eating around 1400 calories per day. I'm a little over 225 lb presently. My ultimate goal is to be 190 lb. Many have told me that when I reach my goal I will go back to my old eating habits. But right now I am already eating at the level of 190 lb so If I keep eating at this level it is the level I should be.

The body eventually understands what you are doing and you stop losing weight. So you go into tricking the body by having 1800 calories one day 1200 calories the next always thinking of making your calories go up and down to aid you in losing more weight.

Disclaimer: This is my own diet/retooling method and may not work for you. Consult with your physican before attempting what I have said.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Steadfast wrote:One item rarely mentioned to eat well is the number of calories one can have on a daily basis. How can you decide the right number of calories for you? Whatever the amt of calories you decide, try to make sure that each category; total fat, total calories, total sodium, total cabohydrates, total protein, etc. does not exceed recommended daily amount nor does it exceed the ceiling amount per day whether you choose approx. 2000 calories, 2400 calories, etc. etc.

A little over two years ago, I used to weight over 300+ lbs. A chart on the internet (calculator included, age, weight, height, male) said I could have 3400 calories. Then I met a Dr. from nutritional (sp?) clinic at the V. A. and (she got back to me 2wks later) that I should not take in more than 2300 calories. Still I searched further and found one site on internet that said whatever weight you desire to be - forumla; your desired weight X's 10 = number of calories your allowed on a daily basis.

So I decided that I wanted to be 190 lbs and times that by 10 & started eating at the 1900 calories daily amount.

In addition to the above formula if you or I ate 500 less calories per day for 7 days that would = 3500 less calories per week and one could lose 1 additional lb.

So for my own plan I could eat 1900 calories if I ate like a 190 man. I began shedding weight (about 1.5 lb per wk) and after a period of time I lost 90 pounds by eating around 1400 calories per day. I'm a little over 225 lb presently. My ultimate goal is to be 190 lb. Many have told me that when I reach my goal I will go back to my old eating habits. But right now I am already eating at the level of 190 lb so If I keep eating at this level it is the level I should be.

The body eventually understands what you are doing and you stop losing weight. So you go into tricking the body by having 1800 calories one day 1200 calories the next always thinking of making your calories go up and down to aid you in losing more weight.

Disclaimer: This is my own diet/retooling method and may not work for you. Consult with your physican before attempting what I have said.
You're not the first person I've heard that uses this method with significant success. Congrats on the progress and way to change a self-sabotaging habit!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Steadfast wrote:Many have told me that when I reach my goal I will go back to my old eating habits.
Diet is how you eat all the time, not how you eat for a certain period to lose weight, etc.

As for the naysayers, fuck those fucking fuckers!!
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I created a healthier diet for myself; one which was reasonable and tolerable. I found that it was pretty easy for me to transition into a mostly paleo diet. The foods that I cook or prepare are pretty easy and quick, which is good for me; I'm no cook. The non-paleo foods that I eat are cheese, milk, cereal, granola bars, triscuits, cheese-its, and pizza. For these, I cut back to one or two servings per week, and pizza to once a month or longer. I eat lean beef, once or twice a week. The other days, I eat fish or chicken.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Ranger Steadfast has it down to science and since his approach has been long term, and not a fad for a few weeks or months, I seriously doubt he will go back to the way things were a couple of years ago. For me, I make things real simple: Regardless of metabolism and exercise, you gain weight by consuming more stuff than your body needs. You lose weight by consuming less than your body needs. You stay the same by consuming about as much as your body needs. I have a fast metabolism and exercise regularly and need about 3500 calories a day to maintain a weight of 175.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

147lbs right now and fitting into 30/30 pants.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Return to “The Mosh Pit”